Sorry to dig this up, but I was trawling old threads and I found the
discussion about web design and CSS etc...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:I'm new to all this CSS layout stuff, so I'll let Steve explain!
:-)
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:But basically, I thought it was meant to speed up loading times,
and
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:enable easy site-wide changes. Also, I thought that it was meant
to
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:be more viewable than table-layouts, such as in speech browsers.
Quoted message said:Well I'm not bothered about speech browsers, I just want
straightforward
Quoted message said:layouts for image thumbnails. Not the sort of thing I'd need to
change
Quoted message said:later. Site-wide changes are great for style features like
backgrounds,
Quoted message said:fonts, colours etc, but I don't see much need for site wide
repositioning of objects on pages. Surely that could lead to a hell
of
Quoted message said:a mess if all your pages aren't laid out the same way?
As well as speeding up download times, enabling easy site-wide
changes, compatability with speech browsers etc., the point of CSS is
that many formatting tags that have commonly been used in the past
(often in conjunction with tables) are being deprecated. The World
Wide Web Consortium (W3C) decided to deprecate formatting tags. That
means those tags are marked for deletion in future versions of HTML
and XHTML, thus meeting their goal of separating presentation from
structure. In a 'pure' CSS environment, basic HTML tags define
paragraphs, lists, headers, etc. and CSS definitions tell the browser
how to display them.
Although deprecated tags will still be read by browsers for some time,
there will come a point when the old (current?) style of html writing
is just no good. So you might as well start learning how to implement
CSS now, rather than wait til the last minute. As well as the
'official' reasons to use CSS, it really does make site management a
heck of a lot easier.
It's also worth noting that *all* tags will have to be 'closed'.
Currently the IMG tag (for example) isn't closed - in future it will
need to be, which means putting a space then a / before the > at the
end of the tag.
Sorry for going on a bit, but I thought it might be of interest to
those who have walking websites etc. For tutorials, there are
hundreds of good sites on the www.
Regards,
Michael S