Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Opportunity to buy New 5200 question

Started by kcstueber · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,301 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
28 September 2003
Last activity
2 October 2003
Original author
kcstueber
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,301
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi. I have an opportunity to buy a new 2002 Trek 5200 from a LBS for about $1825 US. I know there are a couple of changes that have been made, but to a newbie like me the changes don't appear to be signifigant. can anyone give their opinion of this deal and the wether the changes in "03-"04 are significant enough to warrant spending the extra $

    Thanks.

  2. I'm not sure what the differences are between the '02 and '03 Trek 5200 besides the paint color. The '04 has a few changes over the '03. The '04 5200 has the '03 Trek 5900 handlebar and stem... it's the 31.8 (larger bar). The '04 also has a better seatpost. That's it! You could buy a better Handlebar/Stem and seatpost for less that $250 and put them on a '02 Trek 5200 and still come out much cheaper than an '04 Trek 5200.

    Sounds like a great deal on the '02 Trek 5200. If you plan on selling it sometime down the road... you may not get as much for it as you would a '04 model just becuase it's a '02 model.

    I personally bought a 2003 Project One 5200 for $3100 tax included. I had many upgrades. Seat, Handlebar/Stem, Aero Wheels, and Custom Paint. I also got to pick the size of the crank arms, cassette, etc... My 2003 P1 Trek 5200 is much better than a stock 2004 Trek 5200 (the frame is the same).

  3. Thanks for the feedback. I thought it sounded like a pretty fair deal also, but the skeptic in me asks the question "why do they have a 2002 in stock still". The LBS simply indicated that it was left over, so I guess I will go ahead. After having ridden the 5200 and the Giant TCR1 Composite about 25 mile each, I can say that either blows me away from my current ride, a Centurian Ironman, but I could not get a good fit on the Giant large. The 5200 in 58cm is like home. Too bad because I could get a quite a bit better deal on an '03 Giant.

  4. I'd do it. Great deal.

    Bike shops just occasionally have bikes sitting around that didn't fit anyone who was interested... 56 cm bikes fit a wide wide range of people - they may have sold all their 56 cm 2002's, and a few 2003's and maybe even a 2004 or 2 before someone who fit that 58 cm came along...

  5. I paid $1850.00 for my 2002 year model 2300................and I thought that was a good deal, and it was.
    The 5200 for $1825.00 is an excellent deal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.