Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Opinions on Arnie Baker 12-week stationary trainer program

Started by James Calivar · · Last activity · 2 posts · 905 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 March 2004
Last activity
8 March 2004
Original author
James Calivar
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
905
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In Arnie Baker's "Smart Cycling" book, he gives a candidate
    program for training on the stationary trainer. I'm
    wondering if anyone's done this program, and if so, how
    effective they thought it was. And how often per week did
    you do it? I'm thinking three times weekly (M-W-F) plus some
    longer rides on the weekends is a good weekly regimen.

  2. James Calivar said:

    In Arnie Baker's "Smart Cycling" book, he gives a
    candidate program for training on the stationary trainer.
    I'm wondering if anyone's done this program, and if so,
    how effective they thought it was. And how often per week
    did you do it? I'm thinking three times weekly (M-W-F)
    plus some longer rides on the weekends is a good weekly
    regimen.

    I haven't done that program but my regimen is (when I'm
    not outside):

    Three days a week 40 - 60 minutes or 16 miles which ever
    comes first varying resistance from a warm up at low
    resistance to sprints at medium resistance and hill climbs
    at high resistance. I do two minute intervals of each with a
    two minute rest at low resistance between each one and a two
    minute cool down at the end. The other two days I do 8 - 10
    miles at a steady pace and resistance plus use 5#
    handweights in various arm positions for 30 minutes. I'm
    usually outside on Saturday and Sunday. Of course this will
    all change once the days are longer and I can ride outside
    after work. Don't forget to stretch before and after.

    I'd say to experiment and do what works best for you. I have
    found the above to be very effective for me in building my
    lower and upper body strength as well as increasing
    endurance. You'll know when your body is doing the right
    amount of work to be effective and when you are over or
    under excerting yourself.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.