Cycling Training · Public discussion

only 2-3 DAYS per week to ride-HELP!!!!

Started by bike_man0079 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,228 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
23 May 2006
Last activity
23 May 2006
Original author
bike_man0079
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,228
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I can only ride on the weekends and at least 2 but no more than 3 days a week. The reason I need to ride is to train for that 50 miler and I only have a mountain bike and a stationary bike. I'd like a road bike but my mom won't let me buy one unless I know for sure that I want to get into the sport of cycling. Here is my schedule. Also, I'm 16, 5'5, and 135lbs. male.

    Monday: 6:30 am-3:00 pm-school

    3:00-4:00 pm-homework

    4:00-5:00-chores(feed chickens and pigeons)********(NOTE: Look at bottom to see what the stars stand for.)

    5:00-5:30 pm-get ready for ride at 6 pm.

    5:30-6:00 pm- warm up, stretch

    6:00-7:30 pm- RIDE

    7:30-8:00 pm-cool down, go home

    8:00-9:00 pm-dinner

    9:00-10:00 pm-shower, bedtime

    Tuesday-Friday: repeat for Monday except on Wednesday

    Wednesday: 7:00-8:30 pm-Boy Scout meeting

    Saturday and Sunday: FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😄

    So my question is can I prepare for a 50 mile bike ride with just the amount of time that I have?😕🙁

    *************NOTE********************

    I raise Birmingham Roller and Texan Pioneer pigeons IF anyone is interested in or already raises pigeons. I'm in San Antonio, TX. If anyone could tell me where in San Antonio someone that raises pigeons. HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😄🙂

    THANKS and GOD BLESS!!!!!!!🙂

  2. Absolutely. I'm no expert, but the advice I've read is to gradually increase your mileage until you can ride near the 50-mile mark, say, 40 miles or so. In time, with 1.5 hours to spend, you will be able to ride 20-30 miles per session (once your fitness allows) and take an even longer ride on the weekend. You may start at a shorter distance and work up to it, but it sounds like you're already fairly fit so 20 miles may be a good starting point.

    I think the experts would usually say to increase your mileage by 5% per week or less. So just count backwards by 5% and you'll see how many weeks it will take to go from your current mileage (whatever that is) to 40. Taking the jump to 50 will then be fairly easy.

    p.s. I'm not convinced you need to spend 1/2 hour before and after warming up and cooling down and stretching. 5-10 minutes should be enough for most people, and some of us just hop on our bikes and warm up while riding them.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.