rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

one-foot WW/gliding - which foot?

Started by phlegm · · Last activity · 3 posts · 241 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
13 January 2006
Last activity
13 January 2006
Original author
phlegm
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
241
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Screw searching! 😉

    I'm trying to do either. Between the rain, I've managed to learn to WW
    pretty well, almost to the point of controlling my turning while doing
    it, and I can transition back to riding often too. My question is:
    For one-foot WW, which foot do most people do the pushing with--the
    dominant foot or the "other" foot?

    I'm "right footed", but somehow I learned to WW leading with the left
    foot. Now, I've noticed that 'some descriptions'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/skills/wheelwalk.html) suggest
    that I should put my left foot on the frame first and then start
    pushing with my right foot. Instead, I start pushing with my left
    before I even remove my right from the pedal. (I think this makes for
    a smoother transition anyway than taking two steps to start the WW.)

    I've been trying one-foot WW starting the same way as my WW and putting
    my right foot on the frame instead of making the second wheel push, but
    I have this feeling that my left leg is kind of weak, jerky, and
    uncoordinated. So I'm thinking about switching to pushing with my
    right. Also, as for gliding, is one foot generally better to have in
    front, dragging on the wheel?

    --
    phlegm
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phlegm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8382
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46019

  2. I found it easier with my stronger foot controlling the wheel, same foot
    I used for one footed riding first, but I would reccomend just trying
    them both and see which one feels more comfortable. Eventually you
    will probably want to be able to do it with either foot, so I suppose
    it doesn't really matter which you learn first. I found that these
    skills took quite a while to learn (actually I still haven't gotten
    gliding well), so don't give up.

    --
    sevenasterisks

    🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sevenasterisks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46019

  3. If you're already pushing with your left foot before you remove your
    right, then I'd recommend to keep doing it that way. There may be a
    "better" way to do it, but that's how I've always done it.

    Just for the record, I watched Kris Holm glide in Moab in 2003, and he
    puts one foot on the frame before bringing the other foot up, but it's
    still my opinion to just keep doing it how you have been.

    -JD

    --
    JonnyD

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JonnyD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/563
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46019

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.