Joe's Cole Slaw Dressing
Recipe By: Joe Wells
1 tablespoons salad oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar -- Actually 5 T see note
3 tablespoons sugar
1teaspoonsalt
1/2teaspoonblack pepper
1/4teaspooncrushed garlic
Danny Gaulden's Old South Slaw Dressing
Even though we use a modified Corky's slaw dressing at the
restaurant, there's one I like better. Matter of fact, it's the only
one I fix here at home. I LOVE this stuff, but you may not. It's what
I consider deep, old south, and what Carolyn and I had every time we
went to eat at a seafood house, bbq joint, etc. in south or north
Louisiana. Matter of fact, Carolyn's mother fixed a very similar
recipe all her life, (she lives in Baton Rouge now and spent many
years on the famous river road between New Orleans & Baton Rouge as a
home education teacher). Lot of fine cooking goes on down
there.Anyway, here is the recipe. It is a sweet sour mix. If you like
the [censored], sweet taste on your slaw, you'll love this. Nice thing
about it is that you can't "over extend" this dressing. If you apply
too much, it does't just stick to everything and make it too wet as
does a creamy dressing. It just drains down to the bottom. It will
keep a couple of days or more on the slaw before crispness is gone.
Don't let the simplicity fool you. I've always said some of the best
cooking comes from simple recipes. This is one of them. Just takes a
couple of minutes to fix. Also, don't let the looks of it fool you.
Just try it and let me know what you think.
Mix well and pour over slaw. This is a small recipe and makes enough
dressing for about 2 people. Adjust accordingly.
--
Recipe Notes
We really like this dressing but I always have to add about 2 extra
tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to make it right for us.
A place to primarily share the recipes of the unique New Mexican
cuisine but also includes other regions of the Southwest.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewMexican_Cooking
--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at [email hidden].
Only recipes and recipe requests are accepted for posting.
Please allow several days for your submission to appear.
Archives: http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/