Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Newbie needs help shifting gears on a trek 1000

Started by chaznad · · Last activity · 5 posts · 5,482 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 April 2009
Last activity
20 April 2009
Original author
chaznad
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,482
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi ,
    i just purchased a 2004 trek 1000 from someone off craigslist. I am completely new to road bikes but have a trek 7100 hybrid with grip shifters, so this style of shifting is VERY new to me. I got it home and took it out for a spin for a few minutes to learn shifting and lets just say i didnt learn anything .
    I shifted the front a few times along with the rear until it just wont shift anymore when i press the shifter buttons it wont click into gear , it just goes down and nothing..... Im thinking its because i dont know what im doing.
    How do i shift up and how do i shift down , it seems like when you click your going one way or the other?????
    im lost 😕

  2. chaznad said:

    Hi ,
    i just purchased a 2004 trek 1000 from someone off craigslist. I am completely new to road bikes but have a trek 7100 hybrid with grip shifters, so this style of shifting is VERY new to me. I got it home and took it out for a spin for a few minutes to learn shifting and lets just say i didnt learn anything .
    I shifted the front a few times along with the rear until it just wont shift anymore when i press the shifter buttons it wont click into gear , it just goes down and nothing..... Im thinking its because i dont know what im doing.
    How do i shift up and how do i shift down , it seems like when you click your going one way or the other?????
    im lost 😕

    If you have a decent bike shop around, trundle over there, talk to a service guy and ask. I'll bet they will help you out for nuthin'.

  3. Push the brake lever itself sideways! That usually makes you go from a small ring to a big one; I bet your chain is on the inner ring and outer sprocket.

    If that doesn't help, you have to tell us what it says on your levers. Sora? Tiagra? 105? I don't know my Treks.

  4. Peter@vecchios said:

    If you have a decent bike shop around, trundle over there, talk to a service guy and ask. I'll bet they will help you out for nuthin'.


    thanks , i actually contacted the seller and found out that on most road bikes you shift with the brakes. Im used to grip shifters , so this concept is foreign to me, tried it this morning and it shifts great

  5. chaznad said:

    thanks , i actually contacted the seller and found out that on most road bikes you shift with the brakes. Im used to grip shifters , so this concept is foreign to me, tried it this morning and it shifts great

    How were you trying to shift originally? I'm curious what you were pushing, pulling or twisting? I'm glad you figured it out and have fun! The principles of cross-chaining, when to change front vs. rear gears, etc. will be the same, fwiw.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.