Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New hub - should I strip it and grease it?

Started by CasualBloke · · Last activity · 5 posts · 715 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 June 2004
Last activity
3 June 2004
Original author
CasualBloke
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
715
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I trashed the rear hub of my computer bike and have now
    rebuilt the rear wheel with a new (Tiagra) hub. Was my first
    attempt at building a wheel and I am happy enough with the
    result. My question is, should I assume that the rear hub is
    adequately greased and just ride on it as is, or are they
    often inadequately greased and should be checked. The
    adjustment was OK.

    -Brian

  2. Quoted message said:

    I trashed the rear hub of my computer bike and have now
    rebuilt the rear


    wheel with a new (Tiagra) hub. Was my first attempt at
    building a wheel and I am happy enough with the result. My
    question is, should I assume that the rear hub is
    adequately greased and just ride on it as is, or are they
    often inadequately greased and should be checked. The
    adjustment was OK.

    Quoted message said:


    -Brian

    Brian: Hopefully the hub is OK, but it certainly wouldn't
    hurt to take it apart and give it a little TLC & grease.
    Besides, since this is your "computer" bike, I assume it's
    all virtual so you don't even have to get your hands dirty!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  3. Brian Casual said:

    I trashed the rear hub of my computer bike and have now
    rebuilt the rear wheel with a new (Tiagra) hub. Was my
    first attempt at building a wheel and I am happy enough
    with the result. My question is, should I assume that the
    rear hub is adequately greased and just ride on it as is,
    or are they often inadequately greased and should be
    checked. The adjustment was OK.

    Yes, use as is unless the bearing is too tight (has no
    clearance at all) because when you close the QR, bearing
    clearance reduces. This effect ruins many wheel bearing
    cones. People adjust their bearings perfectly and then
    clamp them into the frame tightly for safety... and
    destruction of the cones. The way to test for this in situ
    is to watch the wheel coast around zero RPM and see if it
    indexes when it stops.

    Jobst Brandt [email hidden]

  4. bloke-<< My question is, should I assume that the rear hub
    is adequately greased and just ride on it as is, or are they
    often inadequately greased and should be checked. Th

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Open it, add grease, adjust well on any new hub.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  5. Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Mike Jacoubowsky<[email hidden]> 2/06/04
    > 16:28:10 >>>


    I trashed the rear hub of my computer bike and have now
    rebuilt the rear


    wheel with a new (Tiagra) hub. Was my first attempt at
    building a wheel and I am happy enough with the result. My
    question is, should I assume that the rear hub is
    adequately greased and just ride on it as is, or are they
    often inadequately greased and should be checked. The
    adjustment was OK.

    Quoted message said:


    -Brian

    Brian: Hopefully the hub is OK, but it certainly wouldn't
    hurt to take it apart and give it a little TLC & grease.
    Besides, since this is your "computer" bike, I assume it's
    all virtual so you don't even have to get your hands dirty!

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    Aha... you spotted my deliberate error! ;-)

    Shoulda been COMMUTER bike of course.

    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

    -Brian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.