Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

New Freewheel and "Wobble" when freewheeling?

Started by jbuch · · Last activity · 2 posts · 633 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 June 2005
Last activity
15 June 2005
Original author
jbuch
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
633
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a new freewheel, Shimano 7 speed.... 11 to 28 teeth and
    followed instructions to install ... Grease threads, reverse rotation to
    seat threads properly and then easy finger tighteninng with no feel of
    cross threading. Shimano MF-HG50-7 for $19.95.

    I installed this freewheel on a new Velocity ATB rear (freewheel) wheel
    from Bike Nashbar, normally claimed to be a $69.00 item.

    I got all the derailleur stops and indexing to work correctly and the
    gears change really nicely on the workstand.

    When driving the wheel with the pedal rotation by hand (while still on
    the stand) everything looks really quite true and feels good.

    Allowing the rear wheel to coast and watching the rear gears, there is a
    "wobble" of the gear cluster as the rear wheel turns.

    Reingaging the pedaling appears to eliminate the "wobble".

    The original bike is a 1985 Stumpjumper Sport with Shimano Deore XT
    group.... really nice stuff. I don't remember ever having seen the
    "wobble" of freewheel with the old components.

    So, before riding it, I decided to ask if this "freewheel wobble" is
    innocent or typical of some not very expensive freewheels. I think
    maybe I have seen it a lot in affordable bikes..... but at my near
    Medicare threashold age, one cannot always rely on vague memories.

    Normal... ? Abnormal....? Sign of careless assembly ...?

    Thanks

    Jim Buch
    Bettendorf, IA

  2. jbuch said:

    I bought a new freewheel, Shimano 7 speed.... 11 to 28 teeth and
    followed instructions to install ... Grease threads, reverse rotation to
    seat threads properly and then easy finger tighteninng with no feel of
    cross threading. Shimano MF-HG50-7 for $19.95.

    Allowing the rear wheel to coast and watching the rear gears, there is a
    "wobble" of the gear cluster as the rear wheel turns.

    Normal. You're just noticing it more because of the 28 tooth cog.

    Quoted message said:

    Reingaging the pedaling appears to eliminate the "wobble".

    That's because it's under load.
    Phil Brown

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.