UK and Europe · Public discussion

New frame - forks too wide for my hub?

Started by zardoz · · Last activity · 5 posts · 571 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
10 May 2005
Last activity
11 May 2005
Original author
zardoz
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
571
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
    bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
    headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
    never been used...)

    Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
    peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
    hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
    just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
    wouldn't ride on it.

    The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
    get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
    squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
    structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
    physically achieve this.

    Suggestions?

    Cheers.

  2. in message <[email hidden]>,

    zardoz (') said:

    Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
    bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
    headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
    never been used...)

    Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
    peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
    hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
    just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
    wouldn't ride on it.

    The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
    get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
    squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
    structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
    physically achieve this.

    Suggestions?

    Get a new fork. Carbon forks are not terribly expensive on ebay,
    aluminium ones even cheaper.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
    ;; of me, by a 'friend'

  3. zardoz said:


    Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
    bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
    headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
    never been used...)

    Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
    peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
    hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
    just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
    wouldn't ride on it.

    The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
    get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
    squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
    structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
    physically achieve this.

    Suggestions?

    Cheers.

    Check the dropouts, they should be 100 mm apart. If it is a steel fork
    re-alignment isn't a big deal
    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  4. zardoz said:

    Hi, got a new roadie frame off ebay a couple of weeks back for a
    bargain £26 ('Diamant' ? Never heard of them but it's got a 105
    headset and b/b and the paint work is pristine. It's like the bike has
    never been used...)

    Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
    peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
    hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
    just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
    wouldn't ride on it.

    The fork looks OK and I'm sure it's not been ridden. My options are...
    get a new hub for the front wheel (but the back one fits?) or try to
    squash the forks in a bit. Not terribly sure if this is wise from a
    structural point of view, besides which I don't know if I can
    physically achieve this.

    Suggestions?

    Your hub is bound to be 100mm and the forks are bound to be designed for a
    100mm hub. See www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

    It doesn't have to be a close fit before the QR is done up. How much play
    is there (in mm) and what are the forks made of?

    A couple of mm of play with steel forks will be no problem at all, for a
    start.

    ~PB

  5. zardoz said:


    Most of my parts go on (I've got RSX components from a scrapped old
    peugeot) cranks, shifters, mechs, rear wheel is OK but the front wheel
    hub seems too narrow for the forks. If I unwind the qr mechanism I can
    just stuff the whole wheel in but its not an engineering fit... I
    wouldn't ride on it.

    Providing the gap is no more than a few mm, just use the QR to clamp it
    down on the hub. It'll be fine.

    --
    Tony

    "A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
    Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.