Bike buying advice · Public discussion

New bike advice for a newbie

Started by James1986 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,373 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
5 April 2010
Last activity
5 April 2010
Original author
James1986
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,373
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Good evening all, first post here so please be nice!

    I've come here looking for some advice on buying a bike. I had 3 types of Rayleigh MAX as a kid (with suspension and without), but haven't owned a bike in over 5 years. I've thought a lot about the idea of getting a bike for weekend recreation (cycling around Thetford forest for example) and hopefully for commuting to work.

    My work is about 12 miles each way, there is a route that takes single track minor roads, perfect for a safe and quiet ride in, so I would need something reliable (ie not to fall apart in the middle of no-where!)

    I'm baffled as to where to begin searching, I've checked the following places.

    • Halfords - Quite expensive even for the most basic bike, not really sure what to look for
    • Tescos Direct - Some really cheap (£80) dual suspension bikes, but never heard of the make (TRAX)
    • eBay - Once again, so much to choose from I'm not sure where to start
    • Local bike shops(their websites) - A lot more expensive, around 2-300 easily

    Would someone be able to point me in the direction of a good "starter" bike? I guess it must fit the following criteria

    1. Good for road usage, but also good for slightly more off road usage like forest trails (and potentially a lake district holiday etc)
    2. Reasonably cheap, I'm not exactly counting the pennies, but its too early to invest in a £500 bike
    3. Easy maintenance, reliable
    4. Probably front suspension only, dual suspension maybe not a wise choice for road usage(commuting)
    5. Adult sized, I'm about 6ft tall so can't really be using a youths bike lol

    Maybe there is something like the "VW Golf" of the bike world? Popular, affordable, reliable etc?

    Look forward to hearing peoples advice!

    Many thanks

    James

  2. So far this looks like one of my best options
    Apollo XC.26 SE Mens 20" Mountain Bike

    Apollo XC.26 SE Mens 20" Mountain Bike from Halfords Was £299.99 Save £120.00 Price £179.99 Up to 50% off Apollo Adult Bikes

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.