Bike buying advice · Public discussion

Need some advice on bike buying

Started by tyvirk · · Last activity · 4 posts · 743 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike buying advice
Published
1 February 2013
Last activity
6 February 2013
Original author
tyvirk
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
743
Views / 30 days
14
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    First off I am new to the forum but I intend to read it daily. I am new to the sport but I want to learn as much as I can because I have always been interested in cycling but have been busy with other sports such as soccer and basketball. Now that I am in college and am more focused on school I am going to need something to do over the warmer months when I am home.

    Last summer I purchased a used bike through craigslist. It is an older bike that only cost me $80 but I wanted to ride a little to make sure it was something I wanted to pursue before purchasing a entry level newer bike for $1000. The bike I currently have is a Raleigh Marathon and I believe it is a little to big for me but for $80 I couldn't go wrong.

    So what I need is some advice on which way to go new bike wise. I am mainly going to be riding to keep an elite level of fitness. I want to enter a few local events this summer which is why I decided I should purchase a bike the better fits me.

    My budget is roughly $1000 but would be willing to go a little higher if it is going to greatly benefit the quality of my cycle. I know you get what you pay for but I'm a college student and not trying to break the bank. Also I have no problem buying a lightly used bike or a leftover bike which I am assuming is the best route for someone like me with a relatively low budget.

    I plan on going to some local shops in Syracuse, NY when I get home to try out some bikes. What I am leaning towards right now is a felt cycle. What do you guys think of this brand? From what I have read they are a good bike but I want some real knowledge.

    The model I was leaning toward was the "f85" because it is in my price range. Maybe I could get a step up if it was a leftover from the year before. Is there a bike significantly better than this for the price? I also like the looks of felt bikes I don't know why

    I was leaning towards the f series but some people really like the z series also. Any opinions?

    All your help will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to participating in this forum.

  2. Go to a shop you like or several shops and see what they have on the floor, test ride several bikes in your price range and then settle on the specific brand and model. If the shop doesn't allow test rides or doesn't help you narrow your selection without forcing you into the one bike they're trying desperately to sell then find another shop.

    Nothing wrong with Felt, they make nice bikes but so do many other companies and there's no reason to limit your search before you even get out and start looking.

    There's so much competition in the bike market that there is no one brand that has the best value or a noticeably better bike at the same price points than other brands. But you may very well find older inventory in one or more brands that is marked down in price which can lead to very good deals. So start by seeing what your local shops have on the floor. Test ride several bikes in your price range and pick one that you can afford and you really like the ride quality and look of.

    -Dave

  3. thanks for the advice!

  4. go for felt 85 it is good bike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.