Road Cycling · Public discussion

Need Help Identifying Vintage Schwinn Bicycle

Started by Robert W. Neumann · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,516 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 October 2005
Last activity
27 October 2005
Original author
Robert W. Neumann
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,516
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
    an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.

    I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
    bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and there is
    a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".

    The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the tires
    are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are also
    chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.

    Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
    some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very little
    rust or scratches, etc.

    I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any bikes
    with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Bob Neumann
    email:[email hidden]

    Phone: 630-257-6289

  2. "Robert W. Neumann" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
    an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.

    I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
    bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and
    there is
    a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".

    The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the
    tires
    are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are
    also
    chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.

    Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
    some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very
    little
    rust or scratches, etc.

    I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any
    bikes
    with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Bob Neumann
    email:[email hidden]

    Phone: 630-257-6289

    Try alt.collecting.bicycles

    Some of the regulars are Schwinn collectors and may be able to help you
    identify and even possibly come up with a manf date for you...

  3. Robert W. Neumann said:

    I need some help identifying (and perhaps estimating value) of
    an old vintage Schwinn bicycle that has been in my family for a long time.

    I suspect it is from the late 1930's or early 1940's. On the front of the
    bike "fork" just below the handlebars there is a "Schwinn" emblem and there is
    a picture of a propeller-driven airplane just above the word "Schwinn".

    The chain guard is all chrome without any name on the chain guard, the tires
    are balloon tyres (black, probably were replaced), and the fenders are also
    chrome. The bike frame is red and I suspect is original, not repainted.

    Once I have and idea what this is I want to sell it but I need to know
    some kind of area of pricing, as the bike is in really great shape, very little
    rust or scratches, etc.

    I tried doing some research on ebay and with Google but haven't found any bikes
    with the namplate emblem with the airplane in front.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Bob Neumann
    email:[email hidden]

    Phone: 630-257-6289

    Possibly try the Canadian Museum of Science and Technology and they
    even have a bicycle on their website logo 🙂.
    http://www.sciencetech.technomuses.ca/

    They have a good bicycle collection, and have even published at least
    one monograph on the topic of bicycles in Canada. The last time I spoke
    to him the curator of that area was quite enthuiastic about bikes.
    Unfortunately I don't have his name any more.
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.