Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mystery question: chain crossover at cruising speed?

Started by AmpedCycle · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,100 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 April 2006
Last activity
17 April 2006
Original author
AmpedCycle
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,100
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Countdown has begun until my new bike arrives this week. It turns out that I'm as broke as a joke after sinking the proverbial battleship, and I'm outta luck for getting a compact double. I'll be sticking with the stock ultegra double it comes with, which has a chainring combo of 53x39 and cassette combo of 12-25. For cruising around at 21-22 mph, which is what I do best, where does this put me as far as having a severe chain crossover angle in the big ring of the double? Or can I continue cruising in the 39 ring, like I cruise around in my triple now, which is a 42? I've done some gear inch calculations of my own given RPM matched with mph, and come up with this so far:
    @85 RPM:
    (windy days) 53 by 19= 19.47mph
    (normal days) 53 by 17= 21.76mph

    @90 RPM
    (windy days) 53 by 19= 20.61 mph
    (normal days) 53 by 17= 23.04 mph

    I figure that in these combos at these RPM's, I'll find my optimum cruising speed. Compared to the 52x42x30 triple and 12-25 cassette I'm riding with now, I stay in the 42 chainring and in the 14-15-16 cassette combos, with no chain crossover angle.
    So, does anyone know about the mystery of the chain crossover angle in a double? Or is it just my imagination? I don't know if it's a bad thing to have the chain making a diagonal line between the chainring and the cassette.

  2. Do the calcs again with a 12-23 10 speed cassette (it will have the 18t cog) and the 39t chainring, it should work out better. 🙂

  3. This reminds me of the "Should I pedal with my toes down?" threads.

    Dude, you are spending way too much time thinking about this stuff. Just get out and ride!

    Bob

  4. Just avoid the 53-25 and 39-12 gears and you'll be fine.

  5. AmpedCycle said:

    Countdown has begun until my new bike arrives this week. It turns out that I'm as broke as a joke after sinking the proverbial battleship, and I'm outta luck for getting a compact double. I'll be sticking with the stock ultegra double it comes with, which has a chainring combo of 53x39 and cassette combo of 12-25. For cruising around at 21-22 mph, which is what I do best, where does this put me as far as having a severe chain crossover angle in the big ring of the double? Or can I continue cruising in the 39 ring, like I cruise around in my triple now, which is a 42? I've done some gear inch calculations of my own given RPM matched with mph, and come up with this so far:
    @85 RPM:
    (windy days) 53 by 19= 19.47mph
    (normal days) 53 by 17= 21.76mph

    @90 RPM
    (windy days) 53 by 19= 20.61 mph
    (normal days) 53 by 17= 23.04 mph

    I figure that in these combos at these RPM's, I'll find my optimum cruising speed. Compared to the 52x42x30 triple and 12-25 cassette I'm riding with now, I stay in the 42 chainring and in the 14-15-16 cassette combos, with no chain crossover angle.
    So, does anyone know about the mystery of the chain crossover angle in a double? Or is it just my imagination? I don't know if it's a bad thing to have the chain making a diagonal line between the chainring and the cassette.

    Just ride for awhile with the stock set-up. You will know soon enough if you really need a different crankset or cassette gear range.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.