Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

My new bike! I need help

Started by thomasward00 · · Last activity · 2 posts · 986 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
13 February 2004
Last activity
13 February 2004
Original author
thomasward00
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
986
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well I have finally decided and bought my first mountainbike, I'm very happy but, I want to make the handlebars lower to the frame, I spoke with gary fisher rep and he told me that I could bring my bike to my dealer and they can cut the steering tube, or should I get a straight stem to bring the bars forward? it's just that those spacers that they use from the factory are ugly. Also if i get the steering tube cut, will it mess up the bike geometry? I notice that the higher end hardtails, the stem and handlebars are closer to the frame. Any advice would be helpful. Here is my bike.

    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/large_image.asp?series=classic&bike=Advance

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by thomasward00
    Well I have finally decided and bought my first mountainbike, I'm very happy but, I want to make the handlebars lower to the frame, I spoke with gary fisher rep and he told me that I could bring my bike to my dealer and they can cut the steering tube, or should I get a straight stem to bring the bars forward? it's just that those spacers that they use from the factory are ugly. Also if i get the steering tube cut, will it mess up the bike geometry? I notice that the higher end hardtails, the stem and handlebars are closer to the frame. Any advice would be helpful. Here is my bike.

    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/large_image.asp?series=classic&bike=Advance

    The reason all those spacers come from the factory is precislely to give the customer more flexibility on how high they want the bars. They steerer is meant to be cut once you find the prefered height. You can also go with a lower rise stem such as a 5 or 0 degree which will accomplish the same result. You can also move the spacers around and test different heights before commiting to cutting the tube. Just move some of the spacers to the top of the stem under the top cap temporarily.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.