my legs are not recovering

jshafer

Aug 1, 2006
To start I don't really train I have a 15 mile commute to work mon- fri and the I try to ride 50 or so miles on sat. I rode 50 miles on sat then due to weather and other obligations I did not ride on m,t,w. I thought this would be good anyway(some rest). I hopped on thurs and my legs were shot after 2 miles(made the next 13 no fun). Same thing this morning(fri). My legs are just dead. Is there something I should be taking or drinking to help my legs recover.

jshafer said:
To start I don't really train I have a 15 mile commute to work mon- fri and the I try to ride 50 or so miles on sat. I rode 50 miles on sat then due to weather and other obligations I did not ride on m,t,w. I thought this would be good anyway(some rest). I hopped on thurs and my legs were shot after 2 miles(made the next 13 no fun). Same thing this morning(fri). My legs are just dead. Is there something I should be taking or drinking to help my legs recover.

This could be happening for a number of reasons so without knowing all the details of your routines and off-bike activities, hard to say.

After the 50 mile ride a good stretch and protein rich food should help the muscles recover. The sooner after the ride the better.

I've found that after a long ride if later in the day I'm active, maybe doing landscaping or other chores, the next day my legs are done. But if I rest after the ride, maybe ice the muscles, I feel fine.

I take protein shakes and creatine. I have a protein bar with creatin in it right after my rides. I drink lots of water and eat decent. The rides are pretty easy by most standards. I live in nebraska so it is fairly flat. My average speed is almost always around 16-18 mph after any ride. I just didn't know if there were any supplements geared towards the endurance side of things. thanks

jshafer said:
I take protein shakes and creatine. I have a protein bar with creatine in it right after my rides. I drink lots of water and eat decent. The rides are pretty easy by most standards. I live in Nebraska so it is fairly flat. My average speed is almost always around 16-18 mph after any ride. I just didn't know if there were any supplements geared towards the endurance side of things. thanks

Carbohydrates are a endurance cyclist friend not protein. between that shake and protein bar that is probably more protein then you need for the day. then you have the rest of the day to chow on meat. to much protein is bad on the kidneys. i would advise you to stay clear of protein supplements. carbs help your legs recover.

I try to keep my carbs to protein in the 3:1 ratio. I lift weights also I like to be fit all around.

If your 15 mile commute is 7.5 each way, then maybe missing the commute made this happen. After long rides on the weekend I find that a recovery ride (30 mins - 1hr) at a slow speed is the best recovery.

Anyway, this is probably a one-off that has nothing to do with nutrition as you've not had this issue before.

My commute is 15 miles one way, my wife gets off work the same time as me and she picks me and we ride home together. It just seems like I run out of gas easy in my legs, I'm not breathing all that hard or feel that exhausted I just don't have any strength left in my legs. Maybe just need more training. Thanks for the help

jshafer said:
My commute is 15 miles one way, my wife gets off work the same time as me and she picks me and we ride home together. It just seems like I run out of gas easy in my legs, I'm not breathing all that hard or feel that exhausted I just don't have any strength left in my legs. Maybe just need more training. Thanks for the help
Is the creatine something you've just started or have you been doing that for a while? How much creatine per day?