General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

my Laura Scudder story

Started by nancree · · Last activity · 1 post · 342 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
12 February 2006
Last activity
12 February 2006
Original author
nancree
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
342
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Many years ago, the late 1950's I think, I was sitting at my desk
    writing my monthly checks and eating potato chips. Laura Scudder
    potato chips. I mentioned to my cousin, who was visiting, that the
    chips tasted a bit rancid. She agreed. Well, if I hadn't been sitting
    there with pen and paper I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I
    wrote a letter that started with "Dear Laura Scudder, would you accept
    a word of criticism from a long-time user of your products?"
    I explained that I always counted on her products, peanut butter,
    chips, bottled nuts, etc. to be high quality and I was disappointed.
    Two days later the phone rang. "Is this Nancy? This is Laura Scudder
    !!! . " Well, I didn't even know that there WAS a real Laura
    Scudder. She talked for a good 15 or 20 minutes. She was feeling so
    worried about the quality of the potato crop--something (too much rain?
    ) was affecting the quality of the potatoes, and she was so concerned.
    She apparently wanted to talk about it, because I would thank her for
    calling, and she just went on--her husband was very ill in the hospital
    and she was worried about him. She described his operation. I told her
    I had seen a recent article in the Los Angeles Times that described
    their company's growth from a small clothing store that also carried
    home-made potato chips placed by their cash register. We talked for a
    while, she was so sweet and concerned. Could she have the delivery van
    deliver a package of chips to my door? (Oh, no, please don't bother.)
    She sent me a birthday card. I wrote and thanked her. Not too long
    after that, a year or so, I read that she had died. I felt truly sad,
    I had lost a friend.
    Imagine all those friends out there that we have never met.
    Nancree

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.