General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

My 1st LC Christmas Eve dinner

Started by Ernst Primer · · Last activity · 5 posts · 278 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
27 December 2005
Last activity
28 December 2005
Original author
Ernst Primer
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
278
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. .... I felt I should mention it in light of the media's relatively
    recent (although currently subsided) drumbeat of the demise of low
    carbing in the US. Traditional Christmas Eve dinner was at my cousin
    Sheila's house. Her husband, Mike, fortunately enough, had discovered
    low-carbing himself about a year ago.

    Although I've apparently lost over 50 pounds thus far in the past 8
    months or so, he's dropped nearly twice as much over the last year (and
    he's about a foot shorter than I am). Although my cousin was never that
    chunky, even she's gotten on board, joined her husband, and dropped
    some weight herself. They both look incredible.

    Coincidentally enough, my father-in-law, who is Christmasing in
    Chicago right now, has also been low-carbing for the past year, and has
    lost at least 30-40 pounds himself. In short, although Atkins has gone
    into bankruptcy and the diet fad industry has largely moved on, a large
    portion of the men in my family have been LC-ing over the past year,
    and have been damn successful at it. Funny that.

    Oh, and yes, Christmas dinner was great. Started with appetizers,
    which emphasized aged cheeses (bread optional), fresh veggies and ranch
    dip, and bacon-wrapped dates (I only had three). The appetizer was a
    mushroom-stuffed tomato with mozarella cheese baked on top. Dinner was
    several huge racks of barbecued lamb, two kinds of sausage, and a
    spinach-feta stew of some kind that was to **die** for.

    The best part was dessert. There were cookies for the non LC-ers in
    my family, but the piece de resistance was a gigantic mountain of
    berries... blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries,
    with a huge bowl of lightly sweetened whipped cream for those who
    desired it.

    Absolutely fabulous Christmas Eve dinner. Hope everyone else's
    weekend was wonderful as well.

  2. Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:

    260/204.5/200

    started 4/27/05

    Ernst Primer said:

    ... I felt I should mention it in light of the media's relatively
    recent (although currently subsided) drumbeat of the demise of low
    carbing in the US. Traditional Christmas Eve dinner was at my cousin
    Sheila's house. Her husband, Mike, fortunately enough, had discovered
    low-carbing himself about a year ago.

    Although I've apparently lost over 50 pounds thus far in the past 8
    months or so, he's dropped nearly twice as much over the last year (and
    he's about a foot shorter than I am). Although my cousin was never that
    chunky, even she's gotten on board, joined her husband, and dropped
    some weight herself. They both look incredible.

    Coincidentally enough, my father-in-law, who is Christmasing in
    Chicago right now, has also been low-carbing for the past year, and has
    lost at least 30-40 pounds himself. In short, although Atkins has gone
    into bankruptcy and the diet fad industry has largely moved on, a large
    portion of the men in my family have been LC-ing over the past year,
    and have been damn successful at it. Funny that.

    Oh, and yes, Christmas dinner was great. Started with appetizers,
    which emphasized aged cheeses (bread optional), fresh veggies and ranch
    dip, and bacon-wrapped dates (I only had three). The appetizer was a
    mushroom-stuffed tomato with mozarella cheese baked on top. Dinner was
    several huge racks of barbecued lamb, two kinds of sausage, and a
    spinach-feta stew of some kind that was to **die** for.

    The best part was dessert. There were cookies for the non LC-ers in
    my family, but the piece de resistance was a gigantic mountain of
    berries... blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries,
    with a huge bowl of lightly sweetened whipped cream for those who
    desired it.

    Absolutely fabulous Christmas Eve dinner. Hope everyone else's
    weekend was wonderful as well.

  3. Ernst Primer said:


    Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:
    260/204.5/200
    started 4/27/05

    My psychic just called. Napoleon is jealous. You rule
    What with Napoleon being dead and all, he doesn't any more.
    ;^)

    We had lamb roast with garlic slivers, brussels sprouts sauteed
    in olive oil, carrots in a sauce that was too sweet so it went to
    the carb eaters, a salad of mixed greens, baked potato with
    sour cream and stuff (I had half making it a carby meal for me).
    Dessert was fresh berries with heavy cream. I was planning on
    having red wine but there was Diet Rite and it was good and I
    just didn't feel like opening a bottle of wine for just a sip.

    I was going to get a sweet potato to have baked instead of
    the white one, but I forgot while I was out shopping. Baked
    sweet potato is less carby than white spuds but carbier than
    many veggies, a maintenance food not early plan food.

  4. Doug Freyburger <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :> Ernst Primer wrote:
    :>>
    :>> Oh, and officially, as of yesterday:
    :>> 260/204.5/200
    :>> started 4/27/05
    :>
    :> My psychic just called. Napoleon is jealous. You rule
    :> What with Napoleon being dead and all, he doesn't any more.
    :> ;^)
    :>
    :> We had lamb roast with garlic slivers, brussels sprouts sauteed
    :> in olive oil, carrots in a sauce that was too sweet so it went to
    :> the carb eaters, a salad of mixed greens, baked potato with
    :> sour cream and stuff (I had half making it a carby meal for me).
    :> Dessert was fresh berries with heavy cream. I was planning on
    :> having red wine but there was Diet Rite and it was good and I
    :> just didn't feel like opening a bottle of wine for just a sip.
    :>
    :> I was going to get a sweet potato to have baked instead of
    :> the white one, but I forgot while I was out shopping. Baked
    :> sweet potato is less carby than white spuds but carbier than
    :> many veggies, a maintenance food not early plan food.

    Have you tried baked rutabaga? Or, rutabaga cooked like sweet potatoes,
    except
    using liquid splenda? I can't tell the difference between the last two.

  5. Roger Zoul said:


    Have you tried baked rutabaga? Or, rutabaga cooked like sweet potatoes,
    except using liquid splenda? I can't tell the difference between the last two.

    I love swedes/rooties so thanx for the ideas. So far I've only made
    them mashed or in stews and soups. They are too hard to do well
    deep fried, but then again julliened they should do fine. Smaller
    than pommes frites more like potato sticks. Rootie sticks. Mmmm.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.