Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Mushy rear brake - ideas for improvement?

Started by Tony The Tiger · · Last activity · 4 posts · 558 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 October 2003
Last activity
19 October 2003
Original author
Tony The Tiger
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
558
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just built up an old Trek 2100 frame. It has internal brake cable routing along the top tube, rather
    than cable stops there like my other bikes. Hence the rear brake cable housing snakes from the
    lever, thorough the top tube, then out to the rear brake without any cable stops along its run.

    The rear brake function is very mushy. I'm thinking this is due to the long cable housing run
    without stops. I have had the exact same wheels, brakes (105) and levers (sora) on a bike with cable
    stops and it worked fine.

    By mushy I mean to say that the power generated by squeezing the lever doesn't seem to be crisply
    applied to the rear brake. In my mind I wonder if the long "unsupported" cable and housing run is
    allowing enough minute flex over its' distance to cause this.

    Anyone have any ideas on how to improve this?

    Thanks,

    TG

  2. tony the tiger said:

    Just built up an old Trek 2100 frame. It has internal brake cable routing along the top tube,
    rather than cable stops there like my other bikes. Hence the rear brake cable housing snakes
    from the lever, thorough the top tube, then out to the rear brake without any cable stops along
    its run.

    The rear brake function is very mushy. I'm thinking this is due to the long cable housing run
    without stops. I have had the exact same wheels, brakes (105) and levers (sora) on a bike with
    cable stops and it worked fine.

    By mushy I mean to say that the power generated by squeezing the lever doesn't seem to be crisply
    applied to the rear brake. In my mind I wonder if the long "unsupported" cable and housing run is
    allowing enough minute flex over its' distance to cause this.

    Shouldn't be a problem. All my bikes use continuous housing from lever to caliber. I would suggest
    you replace your brake housing with modern teflon lined housing. And lightly oil the inner cable.
    See: cgi.ebay.comeBayISAPI.dll

    Also, make sure the housing ends are clean and square. File if necessary. See:
    sheldonbrown.comcables.html

    Art Harris

  3. (tony the tiger) may have said:

    Just built up an old Trek 2100 frame. It has internal brake cable routing along the top tube,
    rather than cable stops there like my other bikes. Hence the rear brake cable housing snakes from
    the lever, thorough the top tube, then out to the rear brake without any cable stops along its run.

    The rear brake function is very mushy. I'm thinking this is due to the long cable housing run
    without stops. I have had the exact same wheels, brakes (105) and levers (sora) on a bike with
    cable stops and it worked fine.

    Are you sure that the housing on that cable is brake housing? Some der housings have a big enough ID
    that a brake cable will fit through, but using them for a brake will produce exactly the result you
    describe. I think I'd grab some fresh, good-quality brake housing at the lbs and redo that run.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  4. tony the tiger said:

    Just built up an old Trek 2100 frame. It has internal brake cable routing along the top tube,
    rather than cable stops there like my other bikes. Hence the rear brake cable housing snakes
    from the lever, thorough the top tube, then out to the rear brake without any cable stops along
    its run.

    The rear brake function is very mushy. I'm thinking this is due to the long cable housing run
    without stops. I have had the exact same wheels, brakes (105) and levers (sora) on a bike with
    cable stops and it worked fine.

    By mushy I mean to say that the power generated by squeezing the lever doesn't seem to be crisply
    applied to the rear brake. In my mind I wonder if the long "unsupported" cable and housing run is
    allowing enough minute flex over its' distance to cause this.

    Try a thicker cable and outer (as others have suggested) but if this doesn't solve the problem you
    may have to live with it - long cable housings do tend to degrade the feel of a brake due to
    friction and housing compression, which is why most bikes use them as little as possible.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.