UK and Europe · Public discussion

MTBiking - anyone gone from FS to HT?

Started by A.Lee · · Last activity · 5 posts · 377 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 November 2006
Last activity
25 November 2006
Original author
A.Lee
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
377
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
    a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
    Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
    And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
    Ta
    Alan.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

  2. A.Lee wrote on 24/11/2006 18:50 +0100:

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
    a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
    Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
    And was it worth it, or did you regret it?

    Not quite a switch back. I have both but usually ride the FS on the
    rough stuff. Recently though I have been taking the hardtail out and
    found it really enjoyable - much more agile and flickable than the FS
    and it encouraged you to ride over stuff rather than blast through and
    let the suspension take care of it. I would suggest you won't regret it.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  3. in message <1hpblkz.ca72jp11uz54yN%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee

    ('alan@darkroom.+.com') said:

    I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
    a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
    Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
    And was it worth it, or did you regret it?

    I'm thinking of going from full suss to rigid. I don't intend to sell my
    full suss bike, but I think it's made me lazy and that I would benefit
    from the discipline of a rigid. Basically any unskilled cyclist can get
    through technical singletrack on a good enough full suspension bike. I
    need to repolish my bike handling skills.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
    ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

  4. "A.Lee" <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote in message
    news:1hpblkz.ca72jp11uz54yN%alan@darkroom.+.com...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
    a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
    Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
    And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
    Ta
    Alan.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.

    Nope but I am terrified by the fact that the HT frame a mate is building up
    for me is lighter than my road frame. Though the forks that are going on it
    weigh more than the road bike.

    Niall

  5. A.Lee said:

    I'm thinking of a change on the mountain bike front - I've currently got
    a full susser, but a nice steel hard tail frame has caught my eye.
    Has anyone gone back from full sus to a hardtail bike?
    And was it worth it, or did you regret it?
    Ta
    Alan.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the ' + ' to 'plus'.


    Built up a Kona Caldera frame with a Marzocchi fork a couple of years
    ago to see if it would be a feasible replacement for my '99 Marin East
    Peak full susser. It wasn't - just too hard on my lower back (even
    with a USE seat post). Undoubtedly great fun for a short blast (it's
    all that trail vibration...) but for big days out on the Downs - no
    way, too tiring. (To be fair, I should add that I suffer a bit from
    cold hands / wrist pain so have my off-road bike set up for a fairly
    upright ride position - which is fine on the Marin, as the rear sus. is
    'good'.)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.