chris French said:Liking the look of the Islabike Beinn at the moment
Islabikes are simply the best children's bikes available at the
moment.
I recently let a friend's 7 year old daughter try out a Beinn 24 -
during a rest on the return journey from the London Freewheel. The
saddle was at its lowest point, and the girl struggled to have tiptoes
on the ground on both sides while sitting in the saddle - i.e. the
bike was 1-2 inches to big for her. But once she started pedalling
around a smile grew from ear to ear across her face. I asked her to
try changing gears (her current bike has no gears) and she had no
difficulty getting used to the gears. Although the bike was too big,
once cycling she appeared to be at perfect ease and comfortable on the
bike.
If you do go for Islabikes, check what tyres the bike comes with. If
knobbly and your daughter won't be going off road ask for slicks. The
rear rack is definately worth the upgrade if any luggage is likely to
be carried now or in the future. The mudguards are great, but the way
the stays attach to the mudguards themselves on the Beinn 20 and Cnoc
16 is aweful. Consider investing in a tube of superglue if buying a
Beinn 20. The Beinn 26 comes with the triple chainring - I wish it
didn't. I have yet to find a child who can use a triple chainring
effectively.
Finally, insist that you child only lays the bike down on the ground
chain side up - and never drops it. The deraileur hanger is made of a
soft metal which will bend easily, and, although it's cheap and easy
to replace, it could cause further damage to the rear wheel if, when
in bottom gear, the deraileur goes into the spokes.
If you live in London or the south east you would be more than welcome
to pay me a visit to try out the bikes. I have the Cnoc 16, Beinn 20,
Beinn 24 and Beinn 26. If you are within striking distance of
Wolverhampton I suggest you try out the bikes at the point of
assembly.