Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Moutain Bike Opinion

Started by Radley · · Last activity · 4 posts · 368 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
22 June 2004
Last activity
26 June 2004
Original author
Radley
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
368
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I'm currently mountain bike shopping and need the opinion of riders
    out there. I;ve narrowed my choice to the Fisher Sugar, and Canondale
    Jekyll 600 Disc. I do a lot of trail riding and uphill riding with
    fast downhills on some not so smooth trails. Which one would you
    recommend? I like how they both ride but my only qualm with the
    Canondale is the front fork feels squishy, but I like the adjustabel
    geometry and how I can lock out the rear suspension. The LBSes I',
    dealing with is offering me the Sugar with V-brakes (which I think is
    a couple years old so it might be the first one) for about $1,300 and
    the Canondale Jekyll for $1,399. If there are any other bikes out
    there you;'d recommend please let me know. The guys showed me a KONA
    hardtail too, but I forget. They have Specialized, Klein in stock as
    well.

    I'm clueless to the new technology since I've been riding a no
    suspension diamondback for two years in the mountain trails of
    Germany. So anything I buy will seem liek a Rolls Royce. For example
    should fornt suspensions feel so bouncy? I don't like it because I
    can't jump little bumps ;D HEH HEH. The LBS rep said he could change
    it out for a more stiffer spring, you think I'll get ripped off?
    Thanks for the help in advance.

    Radley da Newbie

  2. On 2004-06-22, Radley penned:

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I'm currently mountain bike shopping and need the opinion of riders
    out there. I;ve narrowed my choice to the Fisher Sugar, and Canondale
    Jekyll 600 Disc. I do a lot of trail riding and uphill riding with
    fast downhills on some not so smooth trails. Which one would you
    recommend? I like how they both ride but my only qualm with the
    Canondale is the front fork feels squishy, but I like the adjustabel
    geometry and how I can lock out the rear suspension. The LBSes I',
    dealing with is offering me the Sugar with V-brakes (which I think is
    a couple years old so it might be the first one) for about $1,300 and
    the Canondale Jekyll for $1,399. If there are any other bikes out
    there you;'d recommend please let me know. The guys showed me a KONA
    hardtail too, but I forget. They have Specialized, Klein in stock as
    well.

    Is there any rebound adjustment on the cannondale fork? What happens if
    you simply pump the pressure up a bit?

    Also, you don't list which Sugar or what the components are, so it's
    hard to judge the price. I'm pretty sure Sugars come in the whole
    spectrum of components.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm clueless to the new technology since I've been riding a no
    suspension diamondback for two years in the mountain trails of
    Germany. So anything I buy will seem liek a Rolls Royce. For example
    should fornt suspensions feel so bouncy? I don't like it because I
    can't jump little bumps ;D HEH HEH. The LBS rep said he could change
    it out for a more stiffer spring, you think I'll get ripped off?
    Thanks for the help in advance.

    You should be able to jump with a suspension. In fact, you can use it
    to "preload" the spring before the jump. But, having been riding a
    rigid bike, you may want to increase the pressure in your shocks beyond
    what the book says to do, just to get used to it.

    --
    monique

  3. Well, I went ahead and bought the Jekyll 600 at a LBS. I've ridden it a
    couple times already, but not hard riding yet. I'm still getting used to
    the suspension since my last bike was a $250 Diamondback. It feels like a
    Rolls Royce compared the my other bike and when I pedal hard I go faster! Go
    Figure! HEH HEH. Does anyone else have a JEkyll Frame? I'm worried about
    the rear shock though because it had bad reviews on MTBR. It's the Fox Float
    RL. I like it because I can lock it out on the fly if I need to transform
    it into a HT for climbs. The only thing I am confused about is the
    adjustable Geomtery. I don't know if it's just a sales scheme or what. I
    ended up buying the bike too because of the price. The salesperson gave it
    to me for $1450 and threw in a pair of Specialized MB Shoes for $39 bucks.
    This is the most I've ever spent on a bike and I feel like a first time
    buyer. I feel nervous because it costs so much and I'll be let down with
    the quality. I hope I'm wrong and my buyer woes goes away.

    Anyways, thanks again for the pointers Mon.

    Radley

    "Radley" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I'm currently mountain bike shopping and need the opinion of riders
    out there. I;ve narrowed my choice to the Fisher Sugar, and Canondale
    Jekyll 600 Disc. I do a lot of trail riding and uphill riding with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >SNIP

  4. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    The only thing I am confused about is the
    adjustable Geomtery. I don't know if it's just a sales scheme or what.


    I tried mine all the way one way, all the way the other way..and a few settings
    in-between....then I set it in the middle and forgot about it.

    Quoted message said:

    ended up buying the bike too because of the price. The salesperson gave it
    to me for $1450 .... I feel nervous because it costs so much ...

    It's only just begun...
    --
    PeteCresswell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.