more on arch cleats

acoggan said:
"Max Testa (one of the world's top exercise physiologists who at one point was working with 35 of the top 50 UCI ranked cyclists) recently completed a study at his lab on cleat position and efficiency and clearly found (p<.001) that as the cleat moves posteriorly cyclists are more efficient. I am not sure as to the publication date for the study but know that it is pending."
That’s an interesting reference. I know Joe Friel has mentioned this on his blog a couple of times (http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/01/cleat-position.html ) I know of couple people (one in particular) that complain that one of their feet quivers when they weigh it in a turn, after a long ride. Presumably due to muscle fatigue and pressure on a nerve. They said when they moved their cleat back as far as possible the problem was less, but still present. This might be an interesting solution to that problem if this changes how shoes are made.

Now then Andrew,
would you care to tell us, now, seven years after the announcement, whether Max Testa's study has ever been published and what his resumé is?

Originally Posted by biomac
Now then Andrew,
would you care to tell us, now, seven years after the announcement, whether Max Testa's study has ever been published and what his resumé is?
As best as I can tell, the study mentioned in the CyclingNews piece has never been published (at least not in any journal abstracted by PubMed, that is).

Testa does, however, now have at least one peer-reviewed publication to his name:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19033610

Originally Posted by acoggan

As best as I can tell, the study mentioned in the CyclingNews piece has never been published (at least not in any journal abstracted by PubMed, that is).

Testa does, however, now have at least one peer-reviewed publication to his name:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19033610
Of course not, that's what I imagined in the first place when it was announced. Thanks anyway, Andrew.

There's also the issue of cause and effect. The effect might be that she's winning races but how do we know that the cause is that she uses biomac shoes? Maybe she would be even better with "traditional" shoes. I would expect that if the shoes were really the cause of her winning ways that every other athlete on her team would be using them as well.
15 year have gone by since velobob posted this juicy comment - a lot has happened since. Still an increasing amount of AUDAX riders as well as triathletes have been using their mid sole shoes equipped with arch cleats and didn't switch back to traditional setup or left the sport due to knee problems. There's even a comparatively cheap variant of the carbon serial shoe and the made-to-measure model, the BLACK! and the WH!TE which both enjoy interest in the growing mid sole community. AND - despite all odds there's even a genuinely Australian shoe manufacturer who adopted the setup for those customers who want to order
Any news on your side?

Hey! Glad you found the information helpful. When it comes to track cycling, one important aspect to focus on is bike positioning. The aerodynamics play a huge role in this sport, so it's crucial to optimize your body position on the track bike. Make sure to maintain a low and streamlined profile to reduce drag. Additionally, mastering the art of cornering is key. Practice leaning into turns with confidence and maintaining a smooth line throughout. These are just a few things to keep in mind, but if you have any specific questions or need more insights, feel free to ask. Happy cycling!

While I respect Dr. Testa's work, I'm cautious about accepting the findings until they're published. Cleat position can significantly impact efficiency, but individual biomechanics also play a crucial role. I'd recommend experimenting with minor cleat adjustments while paying attention to comfort and power output. Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all solution in cycling. Keep exploring and pursuing your cycling goals! ‍♂️

Oh, so now the cycling world is taking advice from a guy named "Fleckenstein" - I thought we were done with German engineers after the last World War!

Jokes aside, I'll take a wait-and-see approach on this one. I've been in the cycling game for a while now, and I've seen plenty of "groundbreaking" studies come and go. I'm not saying Dr. Testa isn't a smart cookie, but I'll need some solid evidence before I start moving my cleats to the back of my pedals.

And just a heads up, if I do start losing efficiency and speed, I'm coming after you, Fleckenstein!

Cheers!
CannondaleRider