General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Metamorphic freestyle the Vanderkay way

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 260 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 November 2005
Last activity
2 November 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
260
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've replied to the post with Subject above a number of times but never
    seen it posted to the group. So I'm going to try starting a new topic
    with the same name and see what happens. So I apologize if the whole
    thing comes out confused. My comments are too delicious for me not to
    post (IMHO). My original post with the title above had to do with
    Peter Vanderkay and how he alters his freestyle technique even within a
    given 200m race. It appears Terry Laughlin of TI made a similar
    observation but had no idea what he was looking at ...

    I found the following quote on the TI website after being pointed there
    by Diablo. It's Terry Lauglin writing:

    "That post from rec.sports.swimming is unfortunately typical of
    attitudes commonly held among "conventional" coaches. Young and
    impressionable coaches learn them from more experienced coaches. Case
    in point: (I won't name the team involved, but many of you will
    figure it out.) In May I was in the Midwest. Knowing that the best
    swimmer from the last Olympics is currently enrolled at and training
    with a Major University team near where I was visiting, I dropped in to
    watch them train on a Saturday morning. The head coach was away at a
    meeting and an assistant was conducting the workout. The swimming WAS
    very impressive, mostly great technique, but with many surprising
    moments of something less.

    I happened to mention to the assistant that I'd observed of another
    of their swimmers - an NCAA champion and member of a gold medal USA
    relay at the Athens Olympics - that while I loved his freestyle
    technique - gorgeous "TI style" during 90% of a distance or
    middle-distance race - in the closing stages, when pressed by a
    rival, I had seen his technique deteriorate strikingly. I noted that
    his 25-meter SPL had jumped from 13 to 16, from one length to the next.
    At 16 SPL he looked like an entirely different swimmer. I asked if
    they'd considered having him do "gears" practice - practicing
    transitions from 13 to 14 to 15 SPL, while maintaining the same flow as
    at lower counts and speeds. The assistant replied: "Yeah, we've
    seen that, but we figure 'why fix what isn't broken'?"

    He's obviously talking about Vanderkay since the university he visited
    is Michigan, home to the best swimmer in Athens (Phelps). He's noticed
    that Vanderkay's stroke rate goes up dramatically when he's going for
    maximal speed. He wrongly attributes it to the swimmer not being able
    to trade-off distance per stroke and stroke rate. Terry refers to that
    as changing "gears". It's quite ironic that the focus of Terry's
    comments is to disparage his fellow coaches, and yet he manages to show
    some of his own incompetence at the same time.

    As the video data reveals, Vanderkay used two distinct styles during
    his 200m leg at the Olympics. The second and fastest style Vanderkay
    uses has a higher arm-turnover than his so-called "TI style". That's
    what Terry was observing. However, instead of picking up on the rather
    profound stylistic change that had taken place, Terry assumed that
    Vanderkay had not been trained well and was therefore starting to flail
    a little bit. So much for the swim acumen of Mr. Laughlin - he should
    bring goggles next time and look underwater since he clearly can't
    figure out what's going on from the pool deck.

    Incidentally, Vanderkay is living proof that Larry was right. For
    years Larry has argued that to swim fast using TI technique, you need
    to kick often and effectively. That's exactly what so-called TI
    swimmers such as Hackett and Keller do. When they want more speed,
    they change from a 4-beat broken rhythm to a continous 6-beat to go
    faster. But not Mr. Vanderkay. His kick must be inferior in some
    fashion to those other men. When he wants to swim fastest, he changes
    from a TI style and goes to less kick but higher arm turnover-
    something Larry has been saying is the best approach for the vast
    majority of rec. swimmers who do not possess good kicks. Vanderkay
    obviously agrees.

    Eric

  2. Take a look at this:

    http://www.swim.ee/videos/Montreal2005/finals/mfre4x200F.mpg

    There are not many underwater shoots, but I think it is possible to see
    precisely the moment Vanderkaay changes his style, just a few cycles
    after the second turn. I must admit that his fast turnover style looks
    horrible.

  3. Thank you so much for the link!

    Yes, you are right - Vanderkay switches styles after the second turn.
    It captures that moment
    underwater very precisely.

    I think his fast turnover style looks wonderful - it lights the way for
    us poor kicking rec.
    and masters swimmers in a manner that all the words and B.S. on this
    user-group never
    could. Vanderkay's metamorphic style shouts - if you can't kick, the
    fastest way to swim is with
    high arm turnover.

    Eric

  4. Quoted message said:

    Thank you so much for the link!

    Yes, you are right - Vanderkay switches styles after the second turn.
    It captures that moment
    underwater very precisely.

    I think his fast turnover style looks wonderful - it lights the way for
    us poor kicking rec.
    and masters swimmers in a manner that all the words and B.S. on this
    user-group never
    could. Vanderkay's metamorphic style shouts - if you can't kick, the
    fastest way to swim is with
    high arm turnover.

    Eric

    In a similar way, I have recently been having some success trying to
    improve my 400m time by concentrating on keeping my arm turnover up.

    I have been swimming about 5 1/2 years and in that time I have got a
    lot faster - the first time I was able to swim 400m non-stop (which
    took a couple of months of swimming, just in itself) took me about 9
    minutes. My current PB is 6:38 and I have a goal of going sub 6:30 at
    our masters nationals in March next year.

    But here's the thing - though I now swim faster than when I started, my
    strokes per length has barely changed at all. I have given up trying
    to count strokes as whenever I do I get a bit depressed that it never
    seems to "improve". It would be around 25-27 in a 25m pool and has
    stubbornly refused all my attempts to reduce it. I just seem to have a
    "weak pull".

    So I have decided to work to my strengths, which seems to be a
    reasonably fast turnover. The problem with this is that, as I also do
    a 6 beat kick, I can't keep it up for very long. I don't seem to be
    able to change my kick pattern, my whole stroke falls apart if I try.
    So what I have been doing is just to concentrate on keeping my kick as
    small as possible, barely moving my feet, while keeping my arm turnover
    up. Then, if I have any gas left in the tank at the end, I can crank
    up the kick and use it to kick home at the end.

    So far I have swum sub-6:40 a few times in training recently and 6:36
    with a pull buoy.

    So I think the fast turnover style is worth experimenting with, whether
    you have a weak kick or a weak pull, or both.

    Liz D

  5. Quoted message said:

    Thank you so much for the link!

    Yes, you are right - Vanderkay switches styles after the second turn.
    It captures that moment
    underwater very precisely.

    I think his fast turnover style looks wonderful - it lights the way for
    us poor kicking rec.
    and masters swimmers in a manner that all the words and B.S. on this
    user-group never
    could. Vanderkay's metamorphic style shouts - if you can't kick, the
    fastest way to swim is with
    high arm turnover.

    Eric

    In a similar way, I have recently been having some success trying to
    improve my 400m time by concentrating on keeping my arm turnover up.

    I have been swimming about 5 1/2 years and in that time I have got a
    lot faster - the first time I was able to swim 400m non-stop (which
    took a couple of months of swimming, just in itself) took me about 9
    minutes. My current PB is 6:38 and I have a goal of going sub 6:30 at
    our masters nationals in March next year.

    But here's the thing - though I now swim faster than when I started, my
    strokes per length has barely changed at all. I have given up trying
    to count strokes as whenever I do I get a bit depressed that it never
    seems to "improve". It would be around 25-27 in a 25m pool and has
    stubbornly refused all my attempts to reduce it. I just seem to have a
    "weak pull".

    So I have decided to work to my strengths, which seems to be a
    reasonably fast turnover. The problem with this is that, as I also do
    a 6 beat kick, I can't keep it up for very long. I don't seem to be
    able to change my kick pattern, my whole stroke falls apart if I try.
    So what I have been doing is just to concentrate on keeping my kick as
    small as possible, barely moving my feet, while keeping my arm turnover
    up. Then, if I have any gas left in the tank at the end, I can crank
    up the kick and use it to kick home at the end.

    So far I have swum sub-6:40 a few times in training recently and 6:36
    with a pull buoy.

    So I think the fast turnover style is worth experimenting with, whether
    you have a weak kick or a weak pull, or both.

    Liz D

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.