General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

McDonald 30 day diet testimonial

Started by Anth · · Last activity · 5 posts · 234 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 January 2004
Last activity
23 January 2004
Original author
Anth
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
234
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/16393.htm

    "It was really crazy - my body basically fell apart over the course of 30
    days," Spurlock told The Post.

    His liver became toxic, his cholesterol shot up from a low 165 to 230, his
    libido flagged and he suffered headaches and depression.

    Spurlock charted his journey from fit to flab in a tongue-in-cheek
    documentary, which he has taken to the Sundance Film Festival with the hopes
    of getting a distribution deal.

    "Super Size Me" explores the obesity epidemic that plagues America today - a
    sort of "Bowling for Columbine" for fast food.

    As well as documenting his own burger-fueled bulk-up, Spurlock travels to 20
    cities across America, interviewing people on the street, health experts and
    a lobbyist for the fast-food industry.

    Despite making dozens of phone calls, Spurlock fails to get anyone from
    McDonald's to agree to an on-camera interview.

    A spokeswoman for McDonald's told The Post yesterday that no representatives
    from the corporation had seen "Super Size Me."

    "Consumers can achieve balance in their daily dining decisions by choosing
    from our array of quality offerings and range of portion sizes to meet their
    taste and nutrition goals," McDonald's said in a statement.

    Over the course of the film, Spurlock is regularly examined by a
    gastroenterologist, a cardiologist and SoHo-based general practitioner Dr.
    Daryl Isaacs.

    "He was an extremely healthy person who got very sick eating this McDonald's
    diet," Dr. Isaacs told The Post.

    Anth

  2. Interesting.

    I've probably eaten at a "Mac" about three times in my 66 years (I can
    even nostalgicly remember when their signs first said "One Million
    Sold"!)

    My fast-food story was when I was in my late 20ties & discovered a great
    Hot Dog shack a block from my workplace. I got into the habit of having
    two " dogs with everything" (topped offwith a Nestle's Crunch Bar) every
    work day for months until unfortunately our City did a redevelopment
    condemnation on that block. Still miss the place. I think the only
    Vitamin C I got during that time was from the sliced tomatoes, maybe
    onions thereon? Anyway I never got sick, depressed or anything like
    that. Quite the opposite.

    I'll have to try that MacDonald's experiment sometime.

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting.

    I've probably eaten at a "Mac" about three times in my 66 years (I can
    even nostalgicly remember when their signs first said "One Million
    Sold"!)

    Quoted message said:

    My fast-food story was when I was in my late 20ties & discovered a great
    Hot Dog shack a block from my workplace. I got into the habit of having
    two " dogs with everything" (topped offwith a Nestle's Crunch Bar) every
    work day for months until unfortunately our City did a redevelopment
    condemnation on that block. Still miss the place. I think the only
    Vitamin C I got during that time was from the sliced tomatoes, maybe
    onions thereon? Anyway I never got sick, depressed or anything like
    that. Quite the opposite.

    Tomatos are loaded with ascorbate - imo good source of C - better than citus
    fruits such as oranges etc.

    Of course McDonald's argument for this is in moderation, and I think they
    are trying to make their menus more balanced.

    Quoted message said:

    I'll have to try that MacDonald's experiment sometime.

    I wouldn't advise it!
    Anth

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting.

    I've probably eaten at a "Mac" about three times in my 66 years (I can
    even nostalgicly remember when their signs first said "One Million
    Sold"!)

    You must try their chicken salad, if the same is available as in Qld, Aust..
    It is the only thing we eat from McDonald's and is quite good, if a little
    short on chicken.

    Peetr Moran

  5. "Peter Moran" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting.

    I've probably eaten at a "Mac" about three times in my 66 years (I can
    even nostalgicly remember when their signs first said "One Million
    Sold"!)

    You must try their chicken salad, if the same is available as in Qld, Aust..
    It is the only thing we eat from McDonald's and is quite good, if a little
    short on chicken.

    Peetr Moran

    Caught an interesting TV show a few days ago about drive-thru
    businesses. It included banks, funeral parlors, wedding chapels, dry
    cleaners, & others, but centered mainly on fast food. The stats they
    presented were astounding -- stuff like the average American eats 120
    fast food burgers yearly & Americans spend 110 billion dollars on the
    swill annually! They showed plants where the French fries were
    processed (measured by lasers to insure "car manageable length" for
    stuffing one's face while driving, partially cooked then frozen to
    decrease one's wait at the fast food joint, etc.), McDonald's sites
    where they had side by side drive-thru lanes to "move 'em in & out"
    even faster, and factories that specialized in manufacturing the pick
    up windows. I believe the show was on the Discovery channel -- check
    it out to see the unbelievably efficient ways these folks have of
    giving the public what they want (although I can't understand eating
    that [censored] on any kind of regular basis).

    Michele
    I ENJOY being a cranky [censored].

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.