UK and Europe · Public discussion

Mail on Sunday

Started by Andy W · · Last activity · 91 posts · 3,103 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
19 October 2003
Last activity
1 November 2003
Original author
Andy W
Posts
91
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,103
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 91
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just zis Ovlov said:

    No lesser car will fit a recumbent inside.

    Since Cosimo the Stealth Baron has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and Europe inside
    two different Skodas, I fear the above statement qualifies for the description "Clearly
    Bollocks". ;-)

    And a lightly-dismantled Kingcycle can be fitted in the boot of of a Mark III Capri.

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  2. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Since Cosimo the Stealth Baron has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and Europe inside
    two different Skodas, I fear the above statement qualifies for the description "Clearly
    Bollocks". ;-)

    And a lightly-dismantled Kingcycle can be fitted in the boot of of a Mark III Capri.

    Jesus H, Dave, that's one hell of a lot of blackmail material to give out on an NG.

    1. Dark side.

    2. Has driven not one but two Skodas (one as a spare for when the first is broke?)

    3. Worst of all, drove a Capri -- a real [censored]'s car.

    Sad.

    T

    :~)

  3. "James Hodson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Guy, old son, as much as I agree with the rest of your letter, I find the BNP comment damned
    insulting.

    Don't take it personally. After all, I'm a lentil-eating bearded leftie with a frayed wooly tie,
    sandals with socks and leather patches on my elbows. I read the Grauniad ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com

  4. Just zis Guy said:

    Don't take it personally. After all, I'm a lentil-eating bearded leftie with a frayed wooly tie,
    sandals with socks and leather patches on my elbows. I read the Grauniad ;-)

    A lentil-eating bearded extremist left-wing liberal whacko nut with a frayed wooly tie, sandals with
    socks and leather patches on my elbows, doncha mean?

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  5. Dave Larrington said:
    Just zis Ovlov said:

    No lesser car will fit a recumbent inside.

    Since Cosimo the Stealth Baron has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and Europe inside
    two different Skodas, I fear the above statement qualifies for the description "Clearly
    Bollocks". ;-)

    And a lightly-dismantled Kingcycle can be fitted in the boot of of a Mark III Capri.

    I know for a fact that a Kingcycle with fairing will fit in a Morris Minor (not a traveller, a
    saloon), because the one I rode arrived that way.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon

    See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

  6. Tony W said:

    2. Has driven not one but two Skodas (one as a spare for when the first is broke?)

    I had the first one for four years, during which the total cost of repair was about ten French
    francs to get a puncture repaired. The second hasn't yet reached the 5000 mile mark, but so far
    nothing has dropped off, borken or otherwise made a nuisance of itself, in marked contrast to the
    Chrysler or similar vintage and mileage I hired in the US recently. That appeared to have been made
    - badly - out of cheese. By young children. Blind ones.

    Quoted message said:

    3. Worst of all, drove a Capri -- a real [censored]'s car.

    True, but it was cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to insure, had a tow bar and did excellent power
    oversteer during the winter months. Plus no-one was going to steal it coz it didn't have a V6.

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  7. you know? said:

    "James Hodson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Guy, old son, as much as I agree with the rest of your letter, I find the BNP comment damned
    insulting.

    Don't take it personally. After all, I'm a lentil-eating bearded leftie with a frayed wooly tie,
    sandals with socks and leather patches on my elbows. I read the Grauniad ;-)

    S'ok, Guy. I've calmed down now.

    In the same paper there was an amusing snippet in the sports section. Apparently, Wales is due to
    play Russia in a soccer match quite soon. The last time they played in the same competition was in
    1987 and a paper stated something along the lines of "Russian Jews are amongst the best strikers in
    the world". The paper meant to say "Rush and Hughes" (Ian and Mark).

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  8. Jinx said:

    this made me smile boards.fool.co.ukMessage.asp Hoey could become a very useful
    adjective

    And in the same thread:

    hoon --noun
    1. a fast, reckless driver of a car, boat, etc.
    2. a speedy drive; a fang: going out for a hoon tonight.
    3. a hooligan; a lout.
    4. a man who lives off the earnings of prostitution; a pimp; a bludger.
    5. a despicable person. --verb
    6. to drive fast and recklessly; to fang.

    [dating back to the 1930s in sense 4; origin unknown]

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  9. Simon Brooke said:
    Simonb' sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk said:

    Looks like Kate's had a busy afternoon. Do you think she'll use any of this in her next editorial
    in the <spit> Mail? Fat chance.

    Could someone who reads the <spit> Mail please let us know if she does?

    That would me me, I suppose.

    James

    --
    "Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

  10. Dave Larrington said:
    Just zis Ovlov said:

    No lesser car will fit a recumbent inside.

    Since Cosimo the Stealth Baron has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and Europe inside
    two different Skodas, I fear the above statement qualifies for the description "Clearly
    Bollocks". ;-)

    And a lightly-dismantled Kingcycle can be fitted in the boot of of a Mark III Capri.

    We had a friend with a Trice XL, who regularly transported same in a Fiat Cinquecento.

    He had to remove the front passenger seat to make it fit, but it went in (and came out) intact and
    undismantled.

    --
    Carol Hague "The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
    - Angela Carter, "The Lady of the House of Love"

  11. "Dave Larrington" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No lesser car will fit a recumbent inside.

    Quoted message said:

    Since Cosimo the Stealth Baron has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and Europe inside
    two different Skodas, I fear the above statement qualifies for the description "Clearly
    Bollocks". ;-)

    And is a Skoda "lesser" then? It's another bulletproof unloved motor.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com

  12. "Carol Hague" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dave Larrington <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    We had a friend with a Trice XL, who regularly transported same in a Fiat Cinquecento. He had to
    remove the front passenger seat to make it fit, but it went in (and came out) intact and
    undismantled.

    Those Trices have everything! Don't tell my wife they have a front passenger seat or I'll be doing
    all the work from now on.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
    chapmancentral.comchapmancentral.com

  13. andy w said:

    politics.guardian.co.uk0,9309, 2458,00.html

    Contact details for the mini-driving ex-sports supremo (just in case you fancied getting in
    touch).

    Well, along with the rest of teh right-thinking western world, I did. I'll not reproduce my full
    email - it took some hours to write, took each of her half-baked notions in turn, and quoted (among
    others) the office of national statistics and the EC legislation proposal she clearly hasn't read
    (choosing instead to rely on teh Mail's own summary of said proposal).

    It started: From: [email hidden] Subject: mail on sunday rant

    Quoted message said:

    I have only just got round to reading your rant (or 'attack' as it is titled) in the Mail
    on Sunday.

    I think it is poorly thought out and somewhat disingenuous, and will explain why. I hope you have
    time to consider these points.

    Her reply: From: [email hidden] Subject: RE: mail on sunday rant

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Ian, Thank you for the thoughtful response to my article. I shall look into your point on the
    European regulation. The one thing that comes out clearly from all the responses from cyclists to
    me is that the money on cycle lanes has been rather wasted as they are clearly not working. There
    has obviously not been consultation with the users. I shall bear this in mind. By the way I don't
    write the headlines. Best wishes Kate

    So, she's ignored my figures from teh annual national traffic speeds survey and teh road traffic
    incident casualty figures. She's given only cursory acknowledgement of teh long section on teh sins
    of cycle 'facility' designers. She's ignored the stuff about primary riding position, her own poor
    grasp of teh highway code, hypothecated (or not) taxation and teh degree of damage to road surfaces
    by different vehicles. She has also ignored my kind offer to travel to her constituency at my own
    expense and ride with her there and in teh surrounding area in order to inspect cycle provision. (I
    was going to rely on you lot to point me towards some poor stuff, but took teh flyer that we'd
    manage to come up with something).

    Still, that's better than my own MP, I suppose. On teh two occasions I've written, he's ignored me,
    and on teh one occasion where I met him he put so much of his foot in his mouth I was surprised he
    could talk through it.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

  14. On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:47:11 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email hidden]> in

    Quoted message said:

    I have not yet received a reply. I put this down to one of the following:

    Today I received a reply from her. It read "Thanks for your comments which I have noted.
    Best wishes"

    I think she must be fed up and truly apologetic now.

    Love and replies from Rich x

    --
    "Netiquette" states that a signature should be no more than four lines long.

  15. Mark said:


    Quoted message said:

    And what is it with the Mini? She mentions this in the article and inseveral of the responses
    published here. Does driving a Mini, and *original* Mini, earn extra brownie points?

    Does she think small car = less pollution? Or small car = less space on the road, I wonder?


    She might think there's space for it to overtake a cyclist where a wider car couldn't. Minis are
    narrower than any modern car.

    Colin McKenzie

  16. Just zis Guy said:

    "Carol Hague" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dave Larrington <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    We had a friend with a Trice XL, who regularly transported same in a Fiat Cinquecento. He had to
    remove the front passenger seat to make it fit, but it went in (and came out) intact and
    undismantled.

    Those Trices have everything! Don't tell my wife they have a front passenger seat or I'll be doing
    all the work from now on.

    I believe the correct response dictated by etiquette is as follows :-

    <places thumbs in ears. waggles fingers>

    Thrrrrrrp!

    We did once effectively have a front passenger seat on our Greenspeed tandem after trashing the
    front chainring.

    It had rained after a long dry spell leaving the road greasy and we met a car on a narrow bit of
    road. Both the tandem and the car stopped, but we then slid forward and the resulting slow motion
    impact did for the chainring.

    Luckily we weren't far from home as we then had to remove the front chain and return thither under
    Small Round Person Power (i.e. slowly).

    --
    Carol Hague "Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

  17. Ian Smith said:

    Her reply: From: [email hidden] Subject: RE: mail on sunday rant

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Ian, Thank you for the thoughtful response to my article. I shall look into your point on
    the European regulation. The one thing that comes out clearly from all the responses from
    cyclists to me is that the money on cycle lanes has been rather wasted as they are clearly not
    working. There has obviously not been consultation with the users. I shall bear this in mind. By
    the way I don't write the headlines. Best wishes Kate

    She may not write the headlines but she knows damn well what sort of headline the MoS (along
    with most other tabloids) would put to her diatribe. She chooses to take their money, she knows
    that tabloids sensationalise, she thus has some responsibility for the headline and effects it
    might have.

    Colin

  18. Richard Bates said:

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:47:11 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email hidden]> in

    Quoted message said:

    I have not yet received a reply. I put this down to one of the following:

    Today I received a reply from her. It read "Thanks for your comments which I have noted.
    Best wishes"

    I think she must be fed up

    Probably.

    Quoted message said:

    and truly apologetic now.

    Probably not.

    She does seem to be questioning the money spent on cycle lanes but she still seems to stand by the
    general tenor of her piece. Of course, I look forward to being surprised next Sunday, if James will
    read the paper on my behalf.

    Colin

  19. "Colin McKenzie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    She might think

    No evidence of this has been displayed to date.

    there's space for it to overtake a cyclist where a wider

    Quoted message said:

    car couldn't. Minis are narrower than any modern car.

  20. Richard Bates said:

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:47:11 +0100, Richard Bates
    <[email hidden]> in

    Quoted message said:

    I have not yet received a reply. I put this down to one of the following:

    Today I received a reply from her. It read "Thanks for your comments which I have noted.
    Best wishes"

    I think she must be fed up and truly apologetic now.

    It's clear that her responses are getting more and more terse, but at least she is replying. She
    deserves at least that much credit.

    My own reply read

    * Dear Simon Thank you for your considered reply to the article I
    * wrote which I hope you have read in full and not just the
    * headlines. You say I have picked on cyclists-I picked on the
    * minority of cyclists who cause offence. Hopefully there is room on
    * the road for everyone with the right attitude. Best wishes Kate

    I think she was probably not prepared for the amount of offense she has caused.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon

    Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
    ;; the Worlock

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.