Cycling Training · Public discussion

Looking for an explanation for my max heart rate

Started by micjohns · · Last activity · 2 posts · 747 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
31 July 2004
Last activity
31 July 2004
Original author
micjohns
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
747
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Some Background Info:

    I am 31 and in fairly good condition. I attend spinning classes 4 times a week and push myself in those classes. I ride about 40 or so miles on my mountain bike every weekend. And ride road about 100 miles a week. I also do weights in the gym about 4 days a week. I am 5’8” and weigh 170 in the mornings.

    Now for the question or explanation:

    My resting heart rate is in the high 40’s to low 50’s but my max is 207. I have done several stress tests both on climbs and in spinning class and this max seems to be my peak. I cannot go higher. Now this max seems to be so far off from everybody’s on this board and also the people I ride with. Am I just different? Also when we are riding a fairly brisk pace, the other guys heart rates are around ~175 and I am hovering in the ~190’s but I am not even breathing that hard. Is this odd? 😕 I think it is and can not find an explanation for it. Tried to do some research but it confuses me even more.

    Currently I am training for my first mountain bike race and just learning all this stuff so any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

  2. micjohns said:

    Some Background Info:

    I am 31 and in fairly good condition. I attend spinning classes 4 times a week and push myself in those classes. I ride about 40 or so miles on my mountain bike every weekend. And ride road about 100 miles a week. I also do weights in the gym about 4 days a week. I am 5’8” and weigh 170 in the mornings.

    Now for the question or explanation:

    My resting heart rate is in the high 40’s to low 50’s but my max is 207. I have done several stress tests both on climbs and in spinning class and this max seems to be my peak. I cannot go higher. Now this max seems to be so far off from everybody’s on this board and also the people I ride with. Am I just different? Also when we are riding a fairly brisk pace, the other guys heart rates are around ~175 and I am hovering in the ~190’s but I am not even breathing that hard. Is this odd? 😕 I think it is and can not find an explanation for it. Tried to do some research but it confuses me even more.

    Currently I am training for my first mountain bike race and just learning all this stuff so any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

    Although a HRmax of 207 is quite high, everyone is different. Since you've hit this number on several occasions you know it to be accurate. Heart rates are very individualized and that is why the formula (Age - 220 = HRmax) or one of its variants doesn't really help many people.

    Even though you are hitting a training HR of ~190 while the other riders are hitting ~175, the percentages of HRmax are probably similar.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.