Listen to music while riding?

Hmmm somebody should mention that to Lance... he's always wearing earbuds when he rides. I wonder if it helps him to pedal faster? I guess if one is riding in heavy traffic then it might be wise to pop out the earbuds or headphones until in a better place to be safe. That's a good point and I usually do that... but if there is a nice wide shoulder or bike path... I am all over the loud music... and hammering the pedals...:cool:

olla86 said:
yes,I am listen, it helps me greatly to relax...
the helmet noise tends to cover car noise anyway specialy when going fast or decending wonder is their a diferance between helmits on the noise issue ? anyone did any testing ?

hod65 said:
the helmet noise tends to cover car noise anyway specialy when going fast or decending wonder is their a diferance between helmits on the noise issue ? anyone did any testing ?

Headphones/wires and helmet make a lot of noise on the downhill.

Wearing a fleece helmet liner cuts the noise a lot, but I can still hear most cars.

I guess it's a problem that it takes cars a lot longer to pass you on a fast downhill, and if they're cautious, they're coasting and quiet while you're getting the worst wind noise.

alienator said:
I'd much rather have a naked Maria Shriver walking toward me.

oh ya me too, that's a different accident all together, but when she's bombing down the street in her tank, staring at her phone, that's just great... :eek:

alienator said:
I'd much rather have a naked Maria Shriver walking toward me.
I do listen to music when I'm on the trainer, but not on the roads. Maria Shriver naked???Kind of a revolting idea!

kdelong said:
I do listen to music when I'm on the trainer, but not on the roads. Maria Shriver naked???Kind of a revolting idea!
who is maria shriver ....she looks ok in pic :rolleyes:

alienator said:
Petrol heads: one day there will be an example in a museum of a petrol head. Enjoy it while you can because the oil is running out.

e-vehicles can have performance characteristics that make IC engined vehicles dip their heads in shame.
With today's technology, only in your dreams, unless 1/100th the range at 100 times the price is acceptable to you. Get real.

fatandslow said:
With today's technology, only in your dreams, unless 1/100th the range at 100 times the price is acceptable to you. Get real.

Is there a cogent thought you're trying to express, or do you typically express yourself in sentences completely lacking in reference?

If you're referencing my statement, you completely missed the point of the statement. Try again later.

alienator said:
Is there a cogent thought you're trying to express, or do you typically express yourself in sentences completely lacking in reference?

If you're referencing my statement, you completely missed the point of the statement. Try again later.
Forgive me for assuming you knew what you said. I'll type slowly so you can keep up. "e-vehicles can have performance characteristics that make IC engined vehicles dip their head in shame." This statement shows astounding ignorance on your part as to the state of the art in both "e-vehicles" (I assume that this means electric vehicles) and internal combustion engine technology, unless your unstated premise is "... at some undetermined time in the future..." As I said previously in such a non-cogent manner, with today's technology your statement is utter ****. Better?

fatandslow said:
Forgive me for assuming you knew what you said. I'll type slowly so you can keep up. "e-vehicles can have performance characteristics that make IC engined vehicles dip their head in shame." This statement shows astounding ignorance on your part as to the state of the art in both "e-vehicles" (I assume that this means electric vehicles) and internal combustion engine technology, unless your unstated premise is "... at some undetermined time in the future..." As I said previously in such a non-cogent manner, with today's technology your statement is utter ****. Better?

Actually I said a few things. Your post wasn't clearly directed at anyone or any specific point. Moreover, there are more performance points than just how far you can go before needing a refuel. Your 'tude, though, really helps with making your point.

alienator said:
Actually I said a few things. Your post wasn't clearly directed at anyone or any specific point. Moreover, there are more performance points than just how far you can go before needing a refuel. Your 'tude, though, really helps with making your point.
There is currently no performance measure with respect to which e-vehicles are even close to IC engined vehicles. It is not even clear that a measure of performance based solely on environmental impact regardless of cost would favor an electric vehicle. The environmental impact of the generation of electricity along with the disposal of battery packs mean e-vehicles are not even much if any "cleaner" to operate. And the attitude started with you. I would call it snide and condescending, and so attempted to reciprocate, successfully apparently. Thanks for noticing.

fatandslow said:
There is currently no performance measure with respect to which e-vehicles are even close to IC engined vehicles. I.............. I would call it snide and condescending, and so attempted to reciprocate, successfully apparently. Thanks for noticing.

So, you're absolutely certain on that first point, eh? As for the second, I offered up no attitude. It was you that offered that gift. If you read attitude in my post, you read incorrectly.

There's an app that let's you listen to music while cycling called Interrupt. It's available on Android phones.

I like to play music very loud while I'm biking (in hurry). When I have a lot of time to use in biking I don't listen to music because I don't need to stay in any rhythm to be somewhere in time. When it's beautiful weather I rarely have headphones on and when it's not I have (to get quickly away from that weather).

It's true that I don't hear cars or stuff, but I keep my eyes on the road and check my back many times so it's not so bad. Deaf people ride bikes as well, they don't hear cars either so it's kind of being voluntarily deaf?

It is dangerous. Unless you are using a bluetooth speaker and not to loud I guess. This might cause accident as you need to be aware of your surroundings while cycling. However listening to music while cycling is a good idea.