Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Late 1960s Schwinn Racer Question...

Started by xmp333 · · Last activity · 3 posts · 617 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 June 2004
Last activity
16 June 2004
Original author
xmp333
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
617
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my previous 2
    posts on my Puch Prima. You were all a great help.

    Latest question; I bought a Schwinn Racer from a garage sale
    and the owner told me it was about 35 years old. It appears
    to be a 3 speed with "indexed" shifting, but it's done
    without derailleurs. Instead, a cable connects the shift
    activator directly to the rear wheel to (presumably)
    activate an interior mechanism. I have the following
    questions:

    1) How do I disconnect this from the wheel? I need to
    replace the rear tire and I can't because the cable is
    in the way.

    2) How does this shifting mechanism work? It looks really
    interesting, especially since all the previous shifters I
    have seen were derailleurs.

    3) Are there any sites where I can find more information on
    this bike?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    First off, thanks to everyone who responded to my previous
    2 posts on my Puch Prima. You were all a great help.

    Latest question; I bought a Schwinn Racer from a garage
    sale and the owner told me it was about 35 years old. It
    appears to be a 3 speed with "indexed" shifting, but it's
    done without derailleurs. Instead, a cable connects the
    shift activator directly to the rear wheel to (presumably)
    activate an interior mechanism. I have the following
    questions:

    1) How do I disconnect this from the wheel? I need to
    replace the rear tire and I can't because the cable is
    in the way.

    2) How does this shifting mechanism work? It looks really
    interesting, especially since all the previous shifters
    I have seen were derailleurs.

    3) Are there any sites where I can find more information
    on this bike?

    Thanks in advance.

    You are an owner of a 3-speed internally geared hub. It uses
    a planetary, or epicyclic, gear system to get the trio of
    ratios. These things are very common; many thousands of
    examples are in daily use worldwide.

    The shifting cable is attached to a small chain which enters
    the center of the axle. It can be unscrewed from its
    attachment inside the hub, or alternatively there may be a
    detachable connection between the actuating chain and the
    shift cable.

    Internally geared hubs have some advantages over derailer
    gears. You can shift at a standstill, the works are
    protected from the weather, and a chainguard can be fitted,
    which will dramatically increase chain life. However in any
    gear except direct drive, there are mechanical losses which
    are somewhat greater than a clean and lubricated derailler
    system. Geared hubs are currently available in 2, 3, 5, 7,
    8, and 14 speeds.

    To learn more, visit rohloffusa.comframe.htm or
    sheldonbrown.comsturmey archer.html

    Sheldon's pages have a tremendous amount of info, and will
    help you identify your hub and service it.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  3. may have said:

    Latest question; I bought a Schwinn Racer from a garage
    sale and the owner told me it was about 35 years old. It
    appears to be a 3 speed with "indexed" shifting, but it's
    done without derailleurs.

    Yup. Almost certainly a Sturmey-Archer internally geared
    hub. It probably has a little flip-top oil port on it,
    between the rows of ports. Give it a small squirt of motor
    oil in there once in a while.

    Quoted message said:

    Instead, a cable connects the shift activator directly to
    the rear wheel to (presumably) activate an interior
    mechanism. I have the following questions:

    1) How do I disconnect this from the wheel? I need to
    replace the rear tire and I can't because the cable is
    in the way.

    Where the cable connects to the short piece of chain coming
    out of the hub end, there's a knurled jamring and a knurled
    cable end; the cable unscrews from the chain there. Loosen
    the jamring by backing it off a half turn or so, and you can
    unscrew the cable end off of the chain assembly. The jamring
    keeps the adjustment from getting out of whack; when
    reassembling, adjust for proper shifting as detailed in the
    instructions on Sheldon Brown's website, and make sure that
    the jamring is tightened back up against the cable end to
    lock it in place.

    Quoted message said:

    2) How does this shifting mechanism work? It looks really
    interesting, especially since all the previous shifters
    I have seen were derailleurs.

    It uses a planetary gear system inside the hub; the cable's
    motion shifts bits inside to determine which part of the
    assembly is engaged with what. Automotive automatic
    transmissions use the same kind of gear assemblies.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via
    e-mail. Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature. Words
    processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.