Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

large jump between adjacent cogs on custom Hyperglide cassette

Started by Bill Bushnell · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,291 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 March 2003
Last activity
13 March 2003
Original author
Bill Bushnell
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,291
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How large a jump between adjacent cogs can one design into a Shimano Hyperglide cassette and expect
    reliable shifts?

    For example: I'm planning to put together a custom Shimano cassette that involves adjacent 17t and a
    32t cogs to be shifted with a Shimano M960 med cage derailer. I don't need a particularly smooth
    shift, but I want it to work reliably.

    If this is too big a jump I could consider 17-28, 20-32, or 20-28. Will any of these
    combinations work?

    Thanks.

    --
    Bill Bushnell

  2. Sounds like you've got the parts. That's a pretty good jump. If I had the parts, I'd just put it
    together and try it then ask why it didn't work later. 🙂

    Bill Bushnell said:

    How large a jump between adjacent cogs can one design into a Shimano Hyperglide cassette and
    expect reliable shifts?

    For example: I'm planning to put together a custom Shimano cassette that involves adjacent 17t and
    a 32t cogs to be shifted with a Shimano M960 med cage derailer. I don't need a particularly smooth
    shift, but I want it to work reliably.

    If this is too big a jump I could consider 17-28, 20-32, or 20-28. Will any of these
    combinations work?

    Thanks.

    --
    Mark Wolfe wolfenet.orgwolfenet.org gpg fingerprint = 42B6 EFEB 5414 AA18 01B7 64AC EF46 F7E6 82F6
    8C71 "Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God."

  3. Quoted message said:
    Bill Bushnell said:

    How large a jump between adjacent cogs can one design into a Shimano Hyperglide cassette and
    expect reliable shifts?

    For example: I'm planning to put together a custom Shimano cassette that involves adjacent 17t
    and a 32t cogs to be shifted with a Shimano M960 med cage derailer.


    I

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    don't need a particularly smooth shift, but I want it to work reliably.

    If this is too big a jump I could consider 17-28, 20-32, or 20-28. Will any of these
    combinations work?

    Thanks.


    I use custom cassettes. My touring bike has 12-14-15-16-17-19-21-25-32, with a Shimano LX
    derailleur, and I shift in friction with bar-end shifters.

    No problem ! However, I don't put any pressure on the pedals while I upshift.That seems natural to
    me, because I have been used to do that on my older bikes (1970-1980).

    Regards,

    --
    Michel Gagnon -- Montréal (Québec, Canada) "][email hidden]

  4. Bill Bushnell <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    How large a jump between adjacent cogs can one design into a Shimano Hyperglide cassette and
    expect reliable shifts?

    For example: I'm planning to put together a custom Shimano cassette that involves adjacent 17t and
    a 32t cogs to be shifted with a Shimano M960 med cage derailer. I don't need a particularly smooth
    shift, but I want it to work reliably.

    If this is too big a jump I could consider 17-28, 20-32, or 20-28. Will any of these
    combinations work?

    Thanks.

    I suspect that you may run the upper pulley of the derailleur into the larger cog before
    accomplishing the shift. If it's possible, I consider going with an intermediate cog:
    x-x-x-x-x-17-24-32. The middle cog would just be a "transfer" cog- the chain wouldn't have to run on
    there for long.

    Jeff

  5. Bill Bushnell said:

    How large a jump between adjacent cogs can one design into a Shimano Hyperglide cassette and
    expect reliable shifts?

    For example: I'm planning to put together a custom Shimano cassette that involves adjacent 17t and
    a 32t cogs to be shifted with a Shimano M960 med cage derailer. I don't need a particularly smooth
    shift, but I want it to work reliably.

    If this is too big a jump I could consider 17-28, 20-32, or 20-28. Will any of these
    combinations work?

    Shimano has a 10T jump on its "Megarange" freewheel, 24 to 34T. Sheldon Brown says of this, "At
    first glance, many people look at the sprocket numbers 11-13-15-18-21-24-34 and wonder what
    Shimano's engineers were smoking when they came up with that setup, with a 10 tooth jump between the
    bottom two sprockets! In practice, this is actually a very nice arrangement, because the big jump to
    the 34 allows the jumps in the cruising range to be much more reasonable. If the jumps were evenly
    spaced, the user would often find that one gear was too low for cruising, while the next one up was
    too high. This type of freewheel, sometimes known as an "alpine" design, is intended to provide
    comfortable cruising, with the super-low gear for the tough hills. It works a lot better on the road
    than it looks on paper!"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.