Landis not happy with Lance....

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Floyd Landis: Some less than complimentary comments in this morning's L'Equipe about his former team leader's qualities as a team captain did not go down well with said captain. Landis received some very audible opinions from the yellow jersey as they came down the Marie Blanque.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/home/pages/v4/l2/s18/e7203/sport_lng2_spo18_evt7203_sto743598.shtml

"In general, it's very difficult to be friends with your boss," Phonak rider Floyd Landis said in French sports daily L'Equipe, reminiscing on his time spent in Lance Armstrong's "company," a word the 29-year-old American uses with an intentional corporate connotation.
</IMG> "Armstrong oversaw the team like the CEO of a company. He saw the Tour de France as a business and he was our boss," said Landis, who raced for Armstrong with U.S. Postal between 2002 and 2004.

"In most teams, friendships exist. But in that team [U.S. Postal, now Discovery Channel], with someone who literally puts himself in the role of the boss, you can't go all the way to friendship."

"I'm not convinced that Armstrong has ever had that kind of relationship with a teammate, not even with George Hincapie, who he's known since he was 17 years old," Landis continued.

"Friendship can't exist when you're giving orders and directing the other members of the team. Mind you, it's not necessarily a negative thing. It's thanks to that mentality that Lance has been able to win so many Tours de France."

about your thread title...

Definitions of spin on the Web:
# twist and turn so as to give an intended interpretation; "The President's spokesmen had to spin the story to make it less embarrasing"
# a distinctive interpretation (especially as used by politicians to sway public opinion); "the campaign put a favorable spin on the story"

Landis is just being honest...and Armstrong is just doing his thing. They don't call him The Boss for nothing. And Armstrong is smart to use the style that he does. It clearly works for him, given the results.

Since someone has already pointed out how WBT's thread title bears no resemblance to his post, I won't bother further with that. What I find interesting is Landis suggesting that Hincapie and Armstrong are not close friends. I dunno, they looked pretty chummy with each other after George won his stage the other day. Seemed to me Lance couldn't wait to get to the trailer to congratulate his "employee".

(As an aside, in any corporate sense, when you work with friends and someone is in a subordinate position, it's a good idea to separate the work environment from the off-duty environment. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to charges of favoritism/nepotism.)

from the EuroSport coverage....

The motorbike camera men try to spice things up by approaching Lance Armstrong for a quick chat, but the American just smiles and laughs, before shouting ahead: "Poppy (Popovych), speak to the camera... Or George (Hincapie)... go talk to George!" So the French camera man obliges, accelerating forward a little to rest on George Hincapie who smiles and says "No! I'm working, I can't speak... Just say hi to my wife and baby... I love you guys." They know to have fun, those Discovery riders!

rejobako said:
Since someone has already pointed out how WBT's thread title bears no resemblance to his post, I won't bother further with that. What I find interesting is Landis suggesting that Hincapie and Armstrong are not close friends. I dunno, they looked pretty chummy with each other after George won his stage the other day. Seemed to me Lance couldn't wait to get to the trailer to congratulate his "employee".

(As an aside, in any corporate sense, when you work with friends and someone is in a subordinate position, it's a good idea to separate the work environment from the off-duty environment. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to charges of favoritism/nepotism.)

whiteboytrash said:
Floyd Landis: Some less than complimentary comments in this morning's L'Equipe about his former team leader's qualities as a team captain did not go down well with said captain. Landis received some very audible opinions from the yellow jersey as they came down the Marie Blanque.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/home/pages/v4/l2/s18/e7203/sport_lng2_spo18_evt7203_sto743598.shtml

"In general, it's very difficult to be friends with your boss," Phonak rider Floyd Landis said in French sports daily L'Equipe, reminiscing on his time spent in Lance Armstrong's "company," a word the 29-year-old American uses with an intentional corporate connotation.
</IMG> "Armstrong oversaw the team like the CEO of a company. He saw the Tour de France as a business and he was our boss," said Landis, who raced for Armstrong with U.S. Postal between 2002 and 2004.

"In most teams, friendships exist. But in that team [U.S. Postal, now Discovery Channel], with someone who literally puts himself in the role of the boss, you can't go all the way to friendship."

"I'm not convinced that Armstrong has ever had that kind of relationship with a teammate, not even with George Hincapie, who he's known since he was 17 years old," Landis continued.

"Friendship can't exist when you're giving orders and directing the other members of the team. Mind you, it's not necessarily a negative thing. It's thanks to that mentality that Lance has been able to win so many Tours de France."

true...but they win.

whiteboytrash said:
They know to have fun, those Discovery riders!
Damn straight -- on the evening of July 24th, when you'll be sobbing into your Ullrich scrapbook for the 7th year in a row. ;)

It's a little sad to see you stoop to this level. Accusing Hincapie of doping on the other thread like a Flyer acolyte, and now hissing because Armstrong and Discovery don't conduct press-conferences during the stages. LOL.

Landis obviously felt like he outgrew his 'executive assistant' position at USPS, which clearly explains his move to Phonak.

Huh ? It was a direct cut and paste from the EuroSport webpage..... what are you talking about ? The point I was making that LA and GH do get on as friends ! Why do you guys so sensitive about this stuff.... I was on your side !

rejobako said:
Damn straight -- on the evening of July 24th, when you'll be sobbing into your Ullrich scrapbook for the 7th year in a row. ;)

It's a little sad to see you stoop to this level. Accusing Hincapie of doping on the other thread like a Flyer acolyte, and now hissing because Armstrong and Discovery don't conduct press-conferences during the stages. LOL.

whiteboytrash said:
Huh ? It was a direct cut and paste from the EuroSport webpage..... what are you talking about ? The point I was making that LA and GH do get on as friends ! Why do you guys so sensitive about this stuff.... I was on your side !
LOL -- in light of the thread title and subject, in addition to the more vicious tone of your posts directed to the Discovery team of late, I respectfully have doubts about your veracity. But carry on . . .

you are an emotional type aren't you.....? calm down, take a deep breath, its going to be ok.....

rejobako said:
LOL -- in light of the thread title and subject, in addition to the more vicious tone of your posts directed to the Discovery team of late, I respectfully have doubts about your veracity. But carry on . . .

whiteboytrash said:

As a an American fan who has followed the TDF for over 30 years, I have to ask ."Who is Landis?"

whiteboytrash said:

this is such a humorous exchange....ROLMAO

WBT - did you know that LA is actually a founder/part owner of the company that actually "owns" the Discovery Team?

This is business!

how about going back to the threads and looking at the exchnage the 2 of them had in the Brasstown Bald stage in the Tour of Georgia....this is nothing new from Floyd.

on one hand you have serious business being conducted, on the other hand you may have some sour grapes and hard feelings on Floyds part...that being said, he's now the enemy as far as the TdF is concerned and if I'm an LA teammate or sponsor, I want all the others to feel the same way...

whiteboytrash said:
you are an emotional type aren't you.....? calm down, take a deep breath, its going to be ok.....
Thanks; for a minute there I was on the verge of tears at the thought that Armstrong and Landis were never soulmates. Oh, the humanity! >>sob<<

All of you calm down.......... I was just cutting and pasting a story and offered no opinion on it ! My title suggested what I interpreted from the article nothing more.... i really don’t care if they talk or not..... so chill would ya ! Its all ok.. Lance will win the Tour…..

homeycheese said:
this is such a humorous exchange....ROLMAO

WBT - did you know that LA is actually a founder/part owner of the company that actually "owns" the Discovery Team?

This is business!

how about going back to the threads and looking at the exchnage the 2 of them had in the Brasstown Bald stage in the Tour of Georgia....this is nothing new from Floyd.

on one hand you have serious business being conducted, on the other hand you may have some sour grapes and hard feelings on Floyds part...that being said, he's now the enemy as far as the TdF is concerned and if I'm an LA teammate or sponsor, I want all the others to feel the same way...

Ted B said:
Landis obviously felt like he outgrew his 'executive assistant' position at USPS, which clearly explains his move to Phonak.

Actually, despite riding a stunning tour last year, he got a very low offer from USPS and a much better offer from Phonak. Yes, it was all business.

Pro-cycling, like most sports nowdays is big business - a big moving billboard providing advertizing exposure to sponsors. Nothing wrong with that as it allows us to witness this great spectacle.

The little "spat" between Landis and Armstrong adds to the spectacle and gives great visibility to Discovery Channell as well as Phonak Hearing Systems.

Daniel Coyle in "Tour de Force" suggested that USPS/DC riders are paid a pittance, compared to other team riders in the peloton.
40% less is the figur that has been bandied about.

Coyle makes it clear that Landis wanted more money at DC but his employers were unwilling to pay the market rate : Phonak came in with a higher bid and
Landis left.

This happens.

But in reading landis comments since, while his move made business-sense, there does seem to be some amount of bad feeling between him and LA.

limerickman said:
But in reading landis comments since, while his move made business-sense, there does seem to be some amount of bad feeling between him and LA.

My cynical nature likes to believe that most of these situations are all little media games that are hyped up and give great press to the sponsors.

renoster said:
My cynical nature likes to believe that most of these situations are all little media games that are hyped up and give great press to the sponsors.
considering i saw them yucking it up after the TdG "finger pointing" incident, i'd say the same