Kevlar tire size rant

Blair P. Houghton

Guest
I have a Kevlar tire that I've been saving until
my Bontrager collected enough cuts, and only now I'm
discovering that while I can get it onto the wheel (at the risk
of breaking my tire levers), I'm never going to be able to do
so with a tube in it, and even if I do, there's no way the bead
will spread to contact the rim.

On the plus side, if I did get it on, it'd never come off,
so it wouldn't need to hook into the bead...

But honestly, there's no way I'm going to risk having to
change this thing on the road. The most efficient way to
do it would be to deliberately pretzel the rim, then re-true it.

Anybody want a kevlar 700x23c? Just be sure you're
willing to chew up your plastic levers, or chew up your
rims with metal ones...and your rim-tape might be in
danger as well...

--Blair

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a Kevlar tire that I've been saving until
> my Bontrager collected enough cuts, and only now I'm
> discovering that while I can get it onto the wheel (at the risk
> of breaking my tire levers), I'm never going to be able to do
> so with a tube in it, and even if I do, there's no way the bead
> will spread to contact the rim.
>
> On the plus side, if I did get it on, it'd never come off,
> so it wouldn't need to hook into the bead...
>
> But honestly, there's no way I'm going to risk having to
> change this thing on the road. The most efficient way to
> do it would be to deliberately pretzel the rim, then re-true it.
>
> Anybody want a kevlar 700x23c? Just be sure you're
> willing to chew up your plastic levers, or chew up your
> rims with metal ones...and your rim-tape might be in
> danger as well...

Kevlar what? Kevlar is added to many brands and models of tires.

>I have a Kevlar tire that I've been saving until
> my Bontrager collected enough cuts, and only now I'm
> discovering that while I can get it onto the wheel (at the risk
> of breaking my tire levers), I'm never going to be able to do
> so with a tube in it, and even if I do, there's no way the bead
> will spread to contact the rim.

The problem has nothing to do with the tire having kevlar, whether we're
talking about the tire (mounting) bead, or in the casing. The issue is
apparently a tire that's simply a bit too small, or a rim that doesn't have
enough depth (a deep-enough inside well) to allow the tire to be mounted
properly.

There are kevlar-beaded tires that mount too-loosely, and some that mount
too-tightly. Same thing for non-kevlar tires. Take it back to the store you
got it from, along with the wheel, and see what they can do for you.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA