Keep those knees in

BILLYHOLMES

Oct 27, 2005
I have been told that I ride with my knees pointing out and no matter how hard I try to keep them in they naturally go back to their annoying “out” position. I am thinking it is because the muscles on the inside of my legs are too weak. Are there any specific exercises that I could do to improve them? Why am I so afflicted. I am 54 and in good shape and ride 100+ miles most weeks, it make sense to me if I can get my wayward knees inboard I would be more aerodynamic. Please help as I am sick of people telling me “KEEP THOSE KNEES IN!”.

Regards,

Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
Please help as I am sick of people telling me “KEEP THOSE KNEES IN!”.
Bill,

Are you sure you're not riding with too-low a saddle position? With a properly adjusted saddle, you really would have to try to swing your legs out intentionally to open up your knees (i.e. to reach for a water bottle, etc.) as they would otherwise settle in a very inward plane of motion. You may want to swing by your LBS to see if they can do a quick bike-fit review for you.

Berend

P.S.: If it turns out your seat needs to be adjusted, possibly dramatically, do it in small increments over a couple of weeks to give your body time to adjust.

No my saddle height is correct to the mm. Thanks for the reply though, anyone else got any thoughts?
Bill.

your body obviously feels most comfortable in that position. providing your position is not too extreme why dont you just leave it? the aerodynamic benefit of having your 'knees in' could well be dwarfed by the loss of power that you may experience from having to ride in an uncomfortable position.

remember- power 1st, aerodynamics 2nd

I agree with you however I must have a weakness with the muscle on the inside of my legs. I have heard this is because cyclists have a tendency to develop the muscles opposite to this group.

I am not obsessed but I am fed up with people telling me I'm all wrong!

Thanks,

Bill.

BILLYHOLMES said:
I agree with you however I must have a weakness with the muscle on the inside of my legs. I have heard this is because cyclists have a tendency to develop the muscles opposite to this group.

I am not obsessed but I am fed up with people telling me I'm all wrong!

Thanks,

Bill.
i dont understand what you mean. which muscle group are you describing?

BILLYHOLMES said:
No my saddle height is correct to the mm. Thanks for the reply though, anyone else got any thoughts?
Bill.
If you own both a wind trainer and a digital camera, simply have someone taking pictures of yourself whilst riding. I believe this is required for us to issue any serious advice.

'Til then, for what it's worth, I don't think it has anything to do with muscle weakness.

If I had to try a bet, I would put my money on the saddle that is (way) too low.

My left knee was "out" as well, appears that I am badly pronated on that leg.

The foot doctor took a video and showed the difference between no orthotic and having one.

Tilting the foot outwards appears to bring the knee in.

Bill, I had adjusted my cleat to allow my naturally outward pointing right foot to stay in that position & having had problems around my R knee cap. So I adjusted again to force my foot to straighten, this has lessoned my pain & allowed me to use my leg more efficiently. Although this caused some muscle cramping initially it now feels a very natural position.

Back to your Q, I also noticed my right knee is closer to the top tube when pedaling.

I just did a little experiment after reading this thread. Standing heals together, toes 6 inches apart then crouching down, my knees spread apart. Standing heals & toes together then crouching, my knees, no mater how much I try will only separate 2 or 3 inches. So maybe you need to straighten up the feet a little when you ride?

BILLYHOLMES said:
I have been told that I ride with my knees pointing out and no matter how hard I try to keep them in they naturally go back to their annoying “out” position.

As a couple of people have already suggested, it sounds like you need to make a visit to a podiatrist. I'm betting that a simple gait analysis will show you pronate/supranate (can't remember which is which) when you walk as well as sticking your knees out on the bike. You could try off-the-shelf orthotics but bear in mind that they will have an effect on your knees, pelvis, back and every muscle in between. My need for orthotics was highlighted during treatment for sciatica. If you start to feel pain, stop using them and get a professional's advice.

Hope this helps.

Push down with the balls of your big toes. This will cause you to pull the knees toward the center line.

Unless your really looking like a frog, I wouldn't worry about it. Many pro's don't hit the top tube with their knees, so to speak. Landis for instance.

ewan52 said:
your body obviously feels most comfortable in that position. providing your position is not too extreme why dont you just leave it? the aerodynamic benefit of having your 'knees in' could well be dwarfed by the loss of power that you may experience from having to ride in an uncomfortable position.

remember- power 1st, aerodynamics 2nd
Actually it is: Speed 1st...

There are many factors that will modify this, of which Power and Aerodynamics are 2...

Jim

Maybe you need to change into a gear that allows you to spin much faster with less effort from your muscles. Is it possible you are riding in the wrong gear and it requires you to put more effort into pedalling just to turn the cranks over, and as a result your legs are encountering greater resistance and working harder, forcing your knees out?

I'm only new to the sport, but I find the faster I spin the better my 'leg form' is.