General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Jenny you rock and diabetes stuff

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 1 post · 249 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 March 2005
Last activity
30 March 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
249
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Took this clip from an article from a link from one of Jenny's posts

    *snip*
    Mitochondrial Dysfunction is Found in Lean Relatives of People with
    Type 2 Diabetes

    Why this might be was made clear by a landmark 2004 study which looked
    at the cells of the "healthy, young, lean" but insulin-resistant
    relatives of people with type 2 diabetes and found that their
    mitochondria, the "power plant of the cells" that is the part of the
    cell that burns glucose, appeared to have a defect. While the
    mitochondria of people with no relatives with diabetes burned glucose
    well, the mitochondria of the people with an inherited genetic
    predisposition to diabetes were not able to burn off glucose as
    efficiently, but instead caused the glucose they could not burn and to
    be stored in the cells as fat.(5)
    *unsnip*

    Earlier in the month I watched these *very* cool videos on demand from
    Stein Institute for Research on Aging at University of California San
    Diego

    SIRA: Is Aging Caused by a Decline in our Cell's Powerhouse?
    (Mitochondria)

    Main page at:
    http://www.ucsd.tv/library-health.asp?series=show&seriesID=SIRA_Sam_and_Rose_Stein_Institute_for_Research_on_Aging

    Its about half way down....

    I also highly recommend:

    SIRA: Delaying Aging & Optimizing Health with Supplements & Diet
    (near the top)

    All I have to say is Wow, things I didn't know and there are some
    scary smart people out there...

    Jenny, you rock! I always find interesting things from you.

    Anyway, I wanted to share these video sources with you all, they are
    very good. (you need real player though, yuck)

    By the way, the professor in the Mitochondria video mentions combining
    two items together (watch the vid), I found the website for it at:

    http://www.juvenon.com/

    All this was a wondering if these things would lower your risk or help
    a person with diabetes?

    I'm 290 now and vision has started to get blurry, I'm 43, wondered if
    i'm headed down that pathway.

    ~JD

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.