Is cycling ruining your relationships?

Troy S.

Jun 13, 2016
prodifycycling.com
Im interested to know who if any are so addicted to cycking that its ruined there relationshipswith some people. I started to have this problem then I had to exercise control since I have a family, wife and kid.

I can't say I know of anyone else who has this problem and to be honest, I find it quite unusual but each to their own. For me, I think it's actually improved my relationships with other people. I can't speak for partner relationships because I'm single but it gets me out of the house, it keeps me fit and it gets me about so all in all, it's pretty much all positive for me personally.

I can't say I know of anyone else who has this problem and to be honest, I find it quite unusual but each to their own. For me, I think it's actually improved my relationships with other people. I can't speak for partner relationships because I'm single but it gets me out of the house, it keeps me fit and it gets me about so all in all, it's pretty much all positive for me personally.

I appreciate your candid response. I agree that relationships with people get better especially with others who share a passion for cycling, but with a parter who doesn't understand the cycling lifestyle that's where I'm hitting a brick wall. And I also heard of some who had a partner and dumped him because of his cycling habits. Maybe that cycle enthusiast enjoyed cycling more than spending time with his mate. Not sure. But can you see where Im going with this?

For me I think its probably done the opposite for me, and any time we've argued or the situation as been a bit tense, it's helped by me going for a ride. It gives us both chance to calm down and I think if I didn't go cycling, I'd have had more relationship problems than what I'd have had.

Anything that ruins your life, work, or relationships is considered an addiction. It's just cycling, and you can do it once a day, or even just a few times a week, without it disrupting your life, or creating chaos in your relationships or at work. I think if that happens, you might want to consider getting help from a support group, as it is definitely not normal for people to be able to just remove everything in their life to simply have time for their cycling. It think this may lead to a lot more problems at the future if you don't fix it now.

I haven't had anything really ruin my relationships other than my own obsessive tendencies, so I'd say maybe if it's killing relationships, there might be some obsession involved? That's just the name of the game with obsession though, trade whatever to focus on the obsession

Cycling doesn't ruin relationships. Your question is based on a silly premise. Bad time management and other issues that can put any activity over your relationships is what ruins relationships, not cycling.

Reactions: Troy S.
In a way ANYTHING could ruin your relationship if you let it, not just a hobby such as cycling. If you're going to let cycling come in between you and your partner in the first place though, I'd be worried about how stable that relationship is in the first place to be honest.

I know a fellow who was having these problems. He had a really expensive bike and he kept it very well. He had a place on a wall for it, it was near his bed. He never had time for his girl at the time and I believe they split because he was more concentrated to cycling than to her. I am not sure but it looks like it. He is married now and I have no idea what is happening with him now but I do remember some remarks his old girlfriend had about his passion to cycling.

I haven't experienced this with cycling, but really cycling is like anything else, do it in moderation and prioritize. Regardless of how good exercise is for you, at the end of the day, it is selfish. I don't say this to be a bad thing because you have to be selfish sometimes to do the things you enjoy. Just make sure your family is your top priority.

If you replace all your family time with cycling it could create problem. I really like cycling but my family comes first.

While cycling is fun and healthy, it is very important to realize the priorities in your life. Cycling is not my number one priority. With that being said, I think it can actually build relationships by emphasizing and creating a great method of quality time with family and or friends.

Just don't prioritize cycling over relationships that are important to you. Cycling has nothing to do with it. Your priorities do however.

People who say that things like cycling ruin relationships are just hiding behind their own failures, and looking for an excuse as to why their relationships are failing.

Nobody in their right mind would carry on doing something if they know it's causing problems with their own family. You'd at least cut down or stop temporarily until the issue is sorted I would have thought.

Not at all. I don't see a connection between cycling and relationship. Well, they are different things and I don't think I can connect both. In fact, cycling can't ruin your relationship. If your relationship is not going well, you can't blame cycling for this. It's definitely some other cause that is causing problems in your relationship. You can't blame your passion for that. You should focus on some other aspects of life if you want to solve your problems in your relationship.

If your other half likes cycling but isn't a avid biker like you are, you could try and ask her if she would accompany you. Everything has a solution it's just a matter of finding it.

People just enjoy cycling as a hobby and I don't think it is ruing the relationship of people. I ride a lot as it is my passion but I always find the time for my family members. I enjoy spending time with my kids and my wife. You just have to manage the time for maintaining a perfect relationship.

Im interested to know who if any are so addicted to cycking that its ruined there relationshipswith some people. I started to have this problem then I had to exercise control since I have a family, wife and kid.
Yes, Troy, cycling can definitely ruin relationships when it becomes THE priority. My boyfriend did fine up north alone, but when he came down to Florida to be with me in the winter he joined a cycling group. I actually was the one who found the group for him so he would be happy. Little did I know. ...He was blown away by the workout he was getting and the comradery and I eventually lost him. We were in the beginning of our relationship so it should have been the honeymoon stage but he eats, breathes, and sleeps cycling. You must make your mate feel like he or she is the most important thing in your life. I have literally tried everything to get my boyfriend back and I'm tired of walking around with my stomach in knots because the man I love is in love with his bike. Oh, and I can't cycle due to a health issue but I can go for walks and he won't do that, he said he just doesn't like walking.

I don't think there is a way of ruining your relationship with people around you because of cycling. Cycling for me is a hobby, a way to unwind. My family, friends support me for what i like to do so i don't see any reason to hate me for what i am doing. Maybe I am just lucky to have people like them.

People around me understand perfectly well that I enjoy riding my bike and it never brought any issue between them and I for no reason. The thing with having issues with some people as a result that you ride is when we don't have understanding people around us that should see that our happiness should matter as well.