Triathlon · Public discussion

Is all that fat just in my head?

Started by S Austin · · Last activity · 1 post · 650 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
18 March 2004
Last activity
18 March 2004
Original author
S Austin
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
650
Views / 30 days
3
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So, every winter I tank up on a bunch of starchy/sugary
    carbs and gain a bunch of weight. My training volume doesn't
    change much - in fact I do a lot more running in the cool
    weather, and I purposely under-dress to condition myself to
    tolerate the cold weather. I just seem to consume a lot more
    calories in foods that don't carry any other nutrition.

    I originally blamed cultural influences, such as traditional
    harvest & holiday festivals that arrive with the onset of
    cold weather. When spring arrives and I feel the heat
    increasing, my appetite decreases, my craving for sugar &
    starch dissipate, I live on salads and lean protien, and the
    weight goes away.

    As often happens here in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US,
    we had a bit of a warming trend a few weeks ago - salads
    here I come - followed by a respite of winter weather. As
    soon as the weather turned cold again all I wanted was bread
    & cake and couldn't look a salad in the eye.

    Now I'm beginning to think there are physiological cues
    rather than just psychological. I'm wondering if
    experiencing that lower external body temperature triggers
    some kind of primal "pack on the flab" reaction - both in
    the types of food I desire, and perhaps even in the way it's
    metabolized?

    It would be nice to break this cycle but right now I'm more
    interested in knowing the causes of it. I really feel
    miserable if I try and stick to my summer diet in the cold
    weather. And I don't feel at all deprived when I give it up
    in the hot weather.

    Those of you who live in the Southern Hemisphere - when it's
    getting hot around Christmastime, do you still start to eat
    more? Or only in the cooler weather? What about those of you
    in temperate climates - do you see seasonal changes in your
    diet & body composition?

    Thanks
    S. Austin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.