Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Intense Uzzi SLX Creaking Noise with Progressive 5th Element Shock

Started by Rog · · Last activity · 2 posts · 2,011 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 August 2003
Last activity
8 August 2003
Original author
Rog
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,011
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am in the process of eliminating the creaking and squeaking noises from my 2003 Intense Uzzi SLX.
    Since I have not completed this task, and it seems that it may be ongoing, I thought I would post
    what I have done so far. I found 4 sources for the creak that gets amplified through the frame. The
    first two are common, and they were the bottom bracket and the seat post. There are many posts about
    those problems.

    My seatpost requires regular lubrication. Does anyone have experience on whether carbon fiber or
    powder coated aluminum are better to prevent creaking? I have an Easton powder coated aluminum post.
    I emailed Easton to ask their advice, but never received a reply.

    The third problem was the suspension pivot bearings. Intense told me to lube the pivot bolts, and
    check the bearings while I was there. 4 of the 8 bearings were bad. The bike had 650 miles on it,
    and it had been creaking for a while. (I rode a lot last winter, and washed my bike too often I
    think.) The two main pivot bearings below the bottom bracket were almost seized. BTW, the torque on
    the 4 link plate bearings is 120 inch-pounds. The torque on the main pivot bearings is 70
    inch-pounds, and there is a set screw on the main pivot that must be lossened before removal &
    tightened after torquing. Intense said to use blue locktite on all pivot bolts. The Intense warranty
    manager said the lube is not important, but that they use Park Polylube 1000. I used Magalube G with
    teflon. The last two pivots are near the rear axle. Intense said the torque is not important on
    these because they bottom out. I used 130 inch-pounds and blue locktite. I replaced 6 of the 8
    bearings. The bearings near the rear axle were still good.

    The link plate bearings (4) were Enduro 608 2RS MAX. I replaced with KYK 608.2RS ($3.24 each). The
    main pivot bearings and the rear stay (by wheel) bearings were Enduro 6000RS. I replaced the main
    pivot bearings with SKF 6000 2RSJEM ($10.94 each).

    Now the fourth problem. It was driving me crazy. It seemed that I had fixed everything that moved,
    but there was a clue. The creak was further into the travel now that the suspension bearings were
    replaced. I spoke with the Intense warranty manager about the Progressive 5th Element shock with
    titanium spring. He thought that the shock may cause the creaking, but didn't have any good
    advice. The shock has a defective bottom eyelet mount, so we were focusing more on that. It didn't
    seem like an enlarged shock eyelet would cause the creak, but I took the shock out and lubed the
    eyelets and pins anyway. It didn't help. Eventually I thought about the spring to shock interface.
    It is metal-to-metal. I didn't have the proper tools to disassemble the shock, so I pried the
    spring away from the spring perch on each end of the spring (not sure if perch is a correct term
    on a bike) and squeezed some Magnalube between the spring and the perches. It worked. I did a
    Homer Simpson Whoo HOO!

    I am concerend that the spring fix is short term. I plan on making some spacers or washers to go
    between the spring and the shock, possibly out of UHMW material. Does anyone have any ideas?

  2. I have an '03 SLX, while a good friend has an '02. We've put a lot of miles on them with no
    problems. Not that it helps, but at least the problems you have are not common.

    Good luck

    Lee Bower

    "Rog" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am in the process of eliminating the creaking and squeaking noises from my 2003 Intense Uzzi
    SLX. Since I have not completed this task, and it seems that it may be ongoing, I thought I would
    post what I have done so far. I found 4 sources for the creak that gets amplified through the
    frame. The first two are common, and they were the bottom bracket and the seat post. There are
    many posts about those problems.

    My seatpost requires regular lubrication. Does anyone have experience on whether carbon fiber or
    powder coated aluminum are better to prevent creaking? I have an Easton powder coated aluminum
    post. I emailed Easton to ask their advice, but never received a reply.

    The third problem was the suspension pivot bearings. Intense told me to lube the pivot bolts, and
    check the bearings while I was there. 4 of the 8 bearings were bad. The bike had 650 miles on it,
    and it had been creaking for a while. (I rode a lot last winter, and washed my bike too often I
    think.) The two main pivot bearings below the bottom bracket were almost seized. BTW, the torque
    on the 4 link plate bearings is 120 inch-pounds. The torque on the main pivot bearings is 70
    inch-pounds, and there is a set screw on the main pivot that must be lossened before removal &
    tightened after torquing. Intense said to use blue locktite on all pivot bolts. The Intense
    warranty manager said the lube is not important, but that they use Park Polylube 1000. I used
    Magalube G with teflon. The last two pivots are near the rear axle. Intense said the torque is not
    important on these because they bottom out. I used 130 inch-pounds and blue locktite. I replaced 6
    of the 8 bearings. The bearings near the rear axle were still good.

    The link plate bearings (4) were Enduro 608 2RS MAX. I replaced with KYK 608.2RS ($3.24 each). The
    main pivot bearings and the rear stay (by wheel) bearings were Enduro 6000RS. I replaced the main
    pivot bearings with SKF 6000 2RSJEM ($10.94 each).

    Now the fourth problem. It was driving me crazy. It seemed that I had fixed everything that moved,
    but there was a clue. The creak was further into the travel now that the suspension bearings were
    replaced. I spoke with the Intense warranty manager about the Progressive 5th Element shock with
    titanium spring. He thought that the shock may cause the creaking, but didn't have any good
    advice. The shock has a defective bottom eyelet mount, so we were focusing more on that. It didn't
    seem like an enlarged shock eyelet would cause the creak, but I took the shock out and lubed the
    eyelets and pins anyway. It didn't help. Eventually I thought about the spring to shock interface.
    It is metal-to-metal. I didn't have the proper tools to disassemble the shock, so I pried the
    spring away from the spring perch on each end of the spring (not sure if perch is a correct term
    on a bike) and squeezed some Magnalube between the spring and the perches. It worked. I did a
    Homer Simpson Whoo HOO!

    I am concerend that the spring fix is short term. I plan on making some spacers or washers to go
    between the spring and the shock, possibly out of UHMW material. Does anyone have any ideas?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.