Inner tubes

T.h.o.m.

May 6, 2022
Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me out.
I am a casual biker and love to bike, but I have some inner tube issues.
It seems that every 2 weeks I have to add air to my tires. I have had the inner tubes replaced but have the same issues. Is this just a normal thing? I have Bontrager tires Nebula H5 700 x 35.
Are there better inner tubes available and if so where can I get them?
Thanks

Bicycle tires/tubes don’t hold air as car or motorcycle tires do. Airing up weekly, or even more frequently is entirely normal. The narrower tires and the higher pressures you use, the more frequently you’ll need to inflate them.
If it’s troubling you, about the only thing you can do is to try to buy the heaviest(=thickest) tubes available.
Solid AKA airless AKA airfree tires are available, but their merits are somewhat debated.
I find them entirely rideable on good roads, but opinions differ.

Bicycle tires/tubes don’t hold air as car or motorcycle tires do. Airing up weekly, or even more frequently is entirely normal. The narrower tires and the higher pressures you use, the more frequently you’ll need to inflate them.
If it’s troubling you, about the only thing you can do is to try to buy the heaviest(=thickest) tubes available.
Solid AKA airless AKA airfree tires are available, but their merits are somewhat debated.
I find them entirely rideable on good roads, but opinions differ.
Cars are usually tubeless these days and they have such high volume of air compared to the tiny leaks that they last for months before needing a refill. Tubeless bike tires leak as well, but since they have sealant that generally slows it down to needing air every couple of weeks.

Superlight latex tubes need to be refilled to pressure before EVERY ride.
Thin rubber tubes require air every couple of days to a week and heavy rubber tubes about every two weeks. It is getting difficult to find heavy touring tubes except in specialty stores.

Continental tubes tend to have high quality so their light rubber tubes behave a little better.

Reactions: steve
G'day there! No worries about the spelling, I can relate. ;) So ya, about those inner tubes, it sounds like you might have a slow leak or two. I've had me fair share of those too! Replacing the tubes might not have solved the issue if the punctures are still there.

Now, I'm no expert, but I've heard good things about Schwalbe or Continental tubes. You could give 'em a go. Just make sure to check your tires for any sharp objects before putting in the new tubes.

And hey, if adding air every 2 weeks is normal for you, then it's your normal! But if you want to avoid it, you could try using tire sealant or go tubeless. It's a bit more expensive, but it could save you some trouble in the long run.

Hope this helps, mate! Keep on bikin'. :)

Inner tube issues can indeed be frustrating. The need to refill air every 2 weeks might suggest a slow leak, which could be due to a variety of factors such as sharp objects puncturing the tube, poor tire fitting, or even manufacturing defects.

Regarding the tubes, it's worth noting that not all inner tubes are created equal. Some are made with thicker rubber, which can provide better puncture resistance, while others are designed to be lightweight and compact.

As for the brand, there are several reputable manufacturers out there, including Continental, Schwalbe, and Michelin. You might want to consider trying out tubes from one of these brands and see if it makes a difference.

However, before you make a purchase, I would recommend double-checking the tire fitting and ensuring that there are no sharp objects or debris in the tires that could be causing the leak.

I hope this helps, and I encourage others to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

You're spot on about the variety of inner tube qualities available. I've had my fair share of experiences where a tube's thickness made a huge difference in preventing punctures. I've learned that, sometimes, investing a bit more in a high-quality tube can save you from frequent replacements and the frustration of dealing with flats.

Another thing to consider is the valve type. Some cyclists prefer Schrader valves because they're more common and can be filled at any gas station, while others swear by Presta valves for their slimmer design and better sealing. It's essential to choose the right valve type for your rims and personal preferences.

Lastly, I'd like to mention the option of using self-sealing or slime-filled tubes. These tubes contain a sealant that can automatically repair small punctures as they happen, reducing the need for frequent air refills. However, they can be a bit more expensive and heavier than regular tubes.

In conclusion, there are many factors to consider when selecting the right inner tube for your cycling needs. It's crucial to balance puncture resistance, weight, valve type, and cost to find the perfect tube for your bike and riding style.

I wouldn't bother with inner tubes, just get with the times and go tubeless. It;s know rocket science, they're faster, more puncture resistant, last longer and have more grip.

Get with the times and stop pushing tubes bro.

Tubeless tires do have advantages, but inner tubes still have their place. They're often more affordable, easier to repair, and compatible with a wider range of rims. For some, the traditional setup remains a practical and cost-effective choice. It's not about being outdated, but about finding the best solution for individual needs.

Tubeless tires have become popular for their advantages, but it's important to consider individual needs and preferences.

Tubeless tires have indeed gained popularity due to their advantages like lower rolling resistance and reduced risk of flat tires. However, it's crucial to note that individual needs and preferences play a significant role in deciding whether tubeless tires are suitable. Factors such as riding style, terrain, and maintenance should be taken into account. Additionally, while tubeless setups require specific knowledge and tools, they can be immensely beneficial for those who prioritize performance and puncture resistance. Ultimately, choosing the right tire type involves weighing these factors and finding the best fit for your ride.

Totally agree with the consideration of individual needs for tubeless tires. For gravity-oriented riders, the traction & reduced weight are a game-changer ���mx. But, roadies might not see significant benefits ‍♂️. Swapping tubes is easier, and weight savings are minimal. Still, for mountain bikers, tubeless means fewer flats & better grip .

Ha, I couldn't agree more! Tubeless tires are like the ultimate wingman for mountain bikers ‍♂️. They're the unsung heroes, silently preventing flats and boosting grip. Roadies, on the other hand, might not feel the same. Swapping tubes is easier, and the weight savings aren't as noticeable. But hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? Unless you're into breaking the rules and shredding some gnarly trails!

Tubeless tires may have their perks for mountain biking, but they're not without their own set of challenges. Installing them can be a real pain, and if you're not careful, you might end up with sealant all over yourself. And let's not forget about the occasional burping incident, which can leave you with a nasty surprise on the trail. While they may offer improved grip, the added complexity and potential for messy situations make me question whether they're truly worth it.

Tubeless tires do present challenges, yet they offer benefits worth considering. Sealant mess can be minimized with proper prep. Burping incidents, while possible, can be reduced with correct tire pressure and maintenance. The trade-off for grip and reduced flats may be worth the added complexity. Food for thought for fellow cycling enthusiasts. #cyclingtips

Tubeless tires, indeed. The sealant mess can be a pain, but the upside of fewer flats and better grip is tempting. Ever tried tire inserts to prevent burping? They add complexity, but some claim they're worth it. What about the environmental impact of tubeless sealant? Let's ponder that too. #sustainablecycling

Tire inserts can indeed prevent burping, but they also add weight and roll resistance. Have you considered using lighter foam inserts? As for the environmental impact, tubeless sealant's longevity and disposal methods raise concerns. Perhaps biodegradable sealants or tubeless conversion kits could be a more sustainable solution? Let's consider innovative ways to make cycling greener. #greenercycling #sustainability