I'm trying to make brioche bread from the recipe in my copy of "The Book of Bread" by Christine
Ingram and Jennie Shapter. Here is the recipe
3 cups white bread flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/2 oz fresh yeast 4 tbs lukewarm milk 3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup butter, softened 2 tablespoons sugar
For the Glaze 1 egg yolk 1 tbs milk
4. Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Put the yeast
in a measuring cup and stir in the milk.
5. Add the yeast mixture to the center of the flour with the eggs and combine to form a
soft dought.
6. Using your hand, beat the dought for 4-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cream the butter and
sugar together. Gradually add the butter mixture to the dough in small amounts, making sure it
is incorporated before adding more. Beat until smooth, shiney and elastic.
The recipe goes on, but this is as far as I got. First of all, the dough would only accept less than
2/3 of the flour before becoming dense and cohesive. Also, I'm not sure how to beat dough using my
hand. Considering the density of the dough, I decided to need it. Now I have a stiff dough ball. How
can I add the butter and sugar mixture to the dough? Also, it says I'm supposed to have a soft
dough, but my dough is already as stiff as clay. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Adam