Hi,
In four weeks I have an important race of about 65Km on a flat road. I'm starting to get in a good shape but I was wondering how I should train in the remaining 4 weeks. I dont have a lot of experience with training sceduales so I thought maybe you can help me out. Personally, I think it's best to do some recovery, endurance and maybe some sprints in the last week so that leaves 3 weeks to train very intensive.
I think it is best to do a lot of intervals, fast group rides and ride some training races. I think its also good to do some tempo-training (riding for 1-1,5hours at prety high heart rate; 1/week?). And of course some recovery.
Are these trainings the best way to get in shape in time? Is it also good to do some Time Trial-work: For example riding 2x20 minutes or 3x14 minutes as fast as I can or isn't that necessary to get in 'race-shape'? And should I also keep doing some endurance rides?
Thank you in advance!
Daniel
Cycling Training · Public discussion
Important Race-4 weeks to go
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Training
- Published
- 27 August 2006
- Last activity
- 5 September 2006
- Original author
- Danielk
- Posts
- 2
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,065
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
you don't neeed to worry too much (if at all) about endurance. On a flat course 65km will go by in 90 minutes. As you'll be in the bunch out of the wind for most of that you don't need to worry so much about going flat out for 20 minutes, or "time trial" training....unless of course you're planning to try and solo to victory with 15km to go.
If I was you I would work on sprints, and short intervals at your maximum. This is to simulate the surges in acceloration that occur in any race.
In fast group rides drop off the back deliberately and force yourself to chase back on (gives a sense of reassurance about getting dropped) and mix that up with riding off the front and trying to stay away.
Above all you shouldn't need to train more than an hour and a half 4/5 times a week, (one light recovery session) but you should be ripping your legs off and pushing yourself into the pain zone several times a week. You need to be simulating sprinting hard for longer than you thought you could, and then do the same again without giving yourself nearly as much recovery as you think you need. Repeat, repeat and repeat. Seriously - I do up to 50 hard 15 second sprints in a good session. If the race has lots of corners that everyone will be flying out of you need to be able to match the accelorations or you'll lose ground on every bend and get dropped early on.
I find that in the 7 days before a race I train hard or do training races until 3 days before the ace, then take 2 days rest. The day immediately prior to the race I will do some sprints and short intervals for an hour or so to warm the legs up or, preferably, I will do a training club race.
If you spend your remaining time doing 4 hour rides at a sustained level of intensity you will run yourself down and will have no speed come the big race. Less is more.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.