Bike Cafe · Public discussion

important parts for lubing

Started by dannyyy · · Last activity · 3 posts · 1,420 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
6 January 2007
Last activity
10 January 2007
Original author
dannyyy
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,420
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. After cleaning my whole drivetrain for the first time, I was wondering what are all the parts needed to be lubed?

    I've been searching throughout this forum and I found that most maintenance threads have to do with only chain cleaning/lubing, but I want to know about all the other parts some people look over.

    Thanks

  2. This is my approach to lubing older steel bikes:
    If I have packed the ball bearings with grease recently, and if I am sure no degreaser or detergent has got into them, then I leave them alone. If they are not sealed and have old grease then I oil them regularily and specially after cleaning the bike, until they get a strip and re-grease which is basically when they get replaced!

    I also oil all moving parts like derailleur pivots, brake pivots, lever pivots, and cables; except those I know have been greased recently. Pedals with non-removable end caps get a small hole drilled for oiling.

    I oil all I can reach with the bike standing, then upside down, laying on the left side then the right side, letting gravity pull the oil into the places it should go into.

    I don't believe in self-lubricating plastic; it will work better with a drop of oil.

    My secret recipe for oil is 2 parts engine oil, 4 parts STP oil additive, and 1 part solvent like Shellite or white spirit. Works for me and my old bikes, but I would think twice about using this method on a carbon wonder, and probably do it anyway.

  3. What he said.

    I think of "greasing" and "lubing" as two separate processes. I'm pathetically delinquent in greasing anything on my bike! But I lube brake & derailleur pivot points, as well as all cables, religiously. But I'm far less anal about *which* lube to use on pivot points & cables than on my drivetrain; all those products that people tell you will suck for lubing your chain (eg., WD40, White Lightning, 3-in-1, earwax, etc.) seem to work just fine for pivot points & cables.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.