UK and Europe · Public discussion

Ice? Don't talk to me about ice...

Started by Steve Rumsby · · Last activity · 4 posts · 654 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 January 2004
Last activity
19 January 2004
Original author
Steve Rumsby
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
654
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and I can't even keep upright on my
    own two wheels:-(

    This week I finally got fed up of the apparent invisibility you acquire when you only have two
    wheels, when somebody pulled out of a side road right in front of me (and I mean right in front of
    me - I stopped with inches to spare). I'm beter lit that most cyclists around here too. So, I
    decided to go for some "serious" lights. I'm not a heavy duty cyclist - mostly just the 5 mile roud-
    trip commute - so I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money. I found a promising looking 5w/10w Sigma
    Mirage set on sale (£38 - seems like a bargain), ordered them Tuesday and they were delivered
    yesterday.

    Last night, I strapped everything on the bike and took it out for a test. The lights are fine.
    Everybody should see me coming now (so the theory goes). But, cycling on a local side road on the
    way home, my rear wheel caught some ice and decided it had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike
    was sliding up the road with me following slightly behind it. No damage to either, fortunately. My
    head didn't even come close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:-) At least I
    didn't break the new lights...

    Steve.

  2. Ride with stabilizers 🙂

    Glad yer ok, mind !

  3. Steve Rumsby said:

    But, cycling on a local side road on the way home, my rear wheel caught some ice and decided it
    had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike was sliding up the road with me following slightly
    behind it. No damage to either, fortunately.

    Bummer. I broke my AirZound this morning when my bike disappeared from underneath me. Fortunately,
    since I persuaded my wife that she needed an AirZound on her bike, I've always had a spare ready in
    case mine should get broken :-)

    Quoted message said:

    My head didn't even come close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:-) At least
    I didn't break the new lights...

    I landed on my [censored]. It's the first time I've lost a recumbent on ice. It was a significantly
    different (and less painful) experience than doing the same with a wedgie.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdanny
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  4. I did a similar thing last week - came a cropper on a patch of ice - right in front of some workmen
    who were having a tea break! No real damage done.

    Also, on the way home I was passing parked cars when a Merc pulled out in front of me from a side
    road. She was turning right so had a clear line of sight - I had 2x 20W blaring on front and a
    bright yellow jacket (it was dark - but there were streetlights). She told me (when I caught up at
    the next junction) that I was invisible - I said she must be blind! She did apologise though!

    Ho hum!

    The AirZound was a little flat so only squeaked!!

    Dave

    "Danny Colyer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Steve Rumsby said:

    But, cycling on a local side road on the way home, my rear wheel caught some ice and decided it
    had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike was sliding up the road with me following slightly
    behind it. No damage to either, fortunately.

    Bummer. I broke my AirZound this morning when my bike disappeared from underneath me. Fortunately,
    since I persuaded my wife that she needed an AirZound on her bike, I've always had a spare ready
    in case mine should get broken :-)

    Quoted message said:

    My head didn't even come close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:-) At
    least I didn't break the new lights...

    I landed on my [censored]. It's the first time I've lost a recumbent on ice. It was a significantly
    different (and less painful) experience than doing the same with a wedgie.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    speedy5.freeserve.co.ukdanny "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
    Thomas Paine

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.