Bike Cafe · Public discussion

I'm new to biking and this website.

Started by lilteen · · Last activity · 4 posts · 934 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
3 December 2004
Last activity
7 December 2004
Original author
lilteen
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
934
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I can't skate anymore because I hurt my knees and I wanted to try biking. I want to know lots of begginer stuff like what bike to buy and what tricks to learn(BMX-Probably street andflatland). Just tell me anything and everything.

  2. lilteen said:

    I can't skate anymore because I hurt my knees and I wanted to try biking. I want to know lots of begginer stuff like what bike to buy and what tricks to learn(BMX-Probably street andflatland). Just tell me anything and everything.


    First I would look at what type of riding you want to do. Is it road and maybe racing? Dirt (BMX, stunts, jumps)? Trails, mountain biking , (fun, competition and hard core)? General transportation (commuting, running errands)? Long distance touring, etc? 😕 Making that choice will start you in the direction of what you are interested in. The most important aspect of any bike is how it fits you. If the bike doesn't fit you it will be uncomfortable and you will not want to ride it. 🙁 A well fit bike is one you will enjoy for many miles. 😄 In this regard dealing with a local bike shop is far better than dealing with a *mart. The bike shop has the skills to set up and fit the bike to you properly. The last thing to consider is cost. 😕 Be sure to leave enough money to buy a helmet and any other things you might require. If you buy a good bike to start with you can upgrade it somewhat as your skills improve. Doing this allows you to ride the bike longer getting more use out of it before you have to replace it with a better one. You might find that over time you might enjoy several different type of riding, and that you might acquire more than one bike. That is quite normal. I hope all if this helps you sort out what you want to do. The fact that you posted on a forum at least indicates you are somewhat serious about cycling. Good luck!

    Oh, yes, and I ride a recumbent bike. 😄

    'bent Brian

  3. The most important thing you can do is saddle time. Ride that bike and enjoy it. Saddle time fixes an endless number of problems. Feel free to e-mail me if I can answer any specific questions for you. Welcome to cycling, its a wonderful life.
    www.the-bike-shop.com/training

  4. lilteen said:

    I can't skate anymore because I hurt my knees and I wanted to try biking. I want to know lots of begginer stuff like what bike to buy and what tricks to learn(BMX-Probably street andflatland). Just tell me anything and everything.

    Can't skate because you hurt your knees? You think flinging yourself around on a bike will be less painful?
    Good luck, but I have to say that their is never a reason to hang up the skateboard- Just ask Duane Peters. I've seen him knock himself cold at 45 yrs old and ride later that day...
    Bikes are great, don't get me wrong, but the kind of biking you want to do is not going to be the answer to messed up body parts. Ever seen a guy with a BMX bike wrapped around him in the bottom of a pool? Looks like it hurts

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.