General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

I'm bored

Started by Marsha · · Last activity · 46 posts · 1,051 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 January 2005
Last activity
24 January 2005
Original author
Marsha
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,051
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Out my front door:

    http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183034.jpg
    http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183063.jpg

    In news:[email hidden],
    Saffire <[email hidden]> stated
    | What is this "snow" you speak of? [ducking in California :-) ]

    Wow, that certainly IS a lot of snow! Very picturesque!

    Alright, that does it! I'm going to have to take a picture of the snow WE
    got today. It's a lot more...

    --
    Spring
    LC since 1/1/04
    260/200/170

    "Before" & "current" pics at link below:
    http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sprgsnow/album?.tok=phX4sVBBuvxvs4Hs&.dir=/55b8&.src=ph

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Out my front door:

    http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183034.jpg
    http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183063.jpg

    In news:[email hidden],
    Saffire <[email hidden]> stated
    | What is this "snow" you speak of? [ducking in California :-) ]

    Wow, that certainly IS a lot of snow! Very picturesque!

    Alright, that does it! I'm going to have to take a picture of the snow WE
    got today. It's a lot more...

    I'm a native Californian -- ANY snow is a LOT of snow to ME :-) It
    snowed for a few minutes in 1972 and another few minutes in 1976 or
    1977, I think. Other than that there was the BIG snow of 1962 that SF
    Bay Area baby boomers probably remember. THAT one didn't melt off until
    around LUNCHtime! That's when I discovered that the thin little socks I
    normally wore with my maryjanes really weren't all that effective as
    gloves :-)

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"
    Atkins since 6/14/03
    Progress photo: http://photos.yahoo.com/saffire333

  3. Pat said:

    : > It's sunny here; the main problem is gusting winds. Seems like spring,
    : > almost. Plant nurseries are selling roses and onion sets and seed
    potatoes
    : > and people are planting spinach, sugar peas, collards, etc.
    :
    : Braggart! : )
    :
    : Marsha/Ohio

    Um, maybe you missed the complaint about the wind? I'm just glad I don't
    wear contact lenses.

    Pat in TX
    :

    Nope, I caught it. But I would gladly trade a foot of snow
    and gusty winds for sunny, springlike, and gusty winds.

    Marsha/Ohio

  4. Sprgtime said:

    Hopefully I won't stay up too late tonight. I need to get up early tomorrow
    to primp and get into my fancy dress that fits me again. 🙂 It's my
    company's annual awards banquet, a big dress-up deal. Last year, I wore
    this huge sack of a dress. Actually, that is where my "before" picture on
    my link is from.

    Nice progress. You do look great! Enjoy your banquet

    Marsha/Ohio

  5. Saffire said:

    What is this "snow" you speak of? [ducking in California :-) ]

    Heh.

    Marsha/Ohio (throwing snowballs at you)

  6. LC_man said:

    Go out and build a snowman!

    Would have done that when I was much younger and didn't care
    if it was 5 degrees out. I'm not much into freezing my butt
    off now : )

    Marsha/Ohio

  7. "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pat said:

    : > It's sunny here; the main problem is gusting winds. Seems like
    spring,
    : > almost. Plant nurseries are selling roses and onion sets and seed
    potatoes
    : > and people are planting spinach, sugar peas, collards, etc.
    :
    : Braggart! : )
    :
    : Marsha/Ohio

    Um, maybe you missed the complaint about the wind? I'm just glad I don't
    wear contact lenses.

    Pat in TX
    :

    Nope, I caught it. But I would gladly trade a foot of snow and gusty
    winds for sunny, springlike, and gusty winds.

    It was slightly cloudy here yesterday, and it only got up to 59 degrees with
    a slight breeze. It was a bit chilly in the morning, at about 38 degrees or
    so.

    :-)

  8. JC Der Koenig said:

    It was slightly cloudy here yesterday, and it only got up to 59 degrees with
    a slight breeze. It was a bit chilly in the morning, at about 38 degrees or
    so.

    :-)

    Gee, I used to like you. Can't imagine why ;P~~~

    How's the pup training going? How's the student training
    going? They are similar, yes?

    Marsha/Ohio

  9. "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:

    It was slightly cloudy here yesterday, and it only got up to 59 degrees
    with a slight breeze. It was a bit chilly in the morning, at about 38
    degrees or so.

    :-)

    Gee, I used to like you. Can't imagine why ;P~~~

    How's the pup training going?

    She's excellent.

    Quoted message said:

    How's the student training going?

    Good, and some of the teachers are getting better also. Not as quickly as I
    had hoped for though.

    Quoted message said:

    They are similar, yes?

    Shhhhhhh. Folks would have a fit if they knew I put it in those terms.

  10. JC Der Koenig said:
    Quoted message said:

    How's the pup training going?

    She's excellent.

    Quoted message said:

    How's the student training going?

    Good, and some of the teachers are getting better also. Not as quickly as I
    had hoped for though.

    Heh. You're training the teachers, too? No doubt some
    could use it. Sometimes people go into a profession for all
    the wrong reasons. Maybe they watched To Sir With Love or
    Room 222 a few too many times.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    They are similar, yes?

    Shhhhhhh. Folks would have a fit if they knew I put it in those terms.

    It's true. You're not their best buddy. You teach first,
    reward those who do what is asked, and call out the slackers.

    Marsha/Ohio

  11. Saffire said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Saffire" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...
    > Out my front door:
    >
    > http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183034.jpg
    > http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1526244/2917243/82183063.jpg
    >
    > In news:[email hidden],
    > Saffire <[email hidden]> stated
    > | What is this "snow" you speak of? [ducking in California :-) ]

    Wow, that certainly IS a lot of snow! Very picturesque!

    Alright, that does it! I'm going to have to take a picture of the snow WE
    got today. It's a lot more...

    I'm a native Californian -- ANY snow is a LOT of snow to ME :-) It
    snowed for a few minutes in 1972 and another few minutes in 1976 or
    1977, I think. Other than that there was the BIG snow of 1962 that SF
    Bay Area baby boomers probably remember. THAT one didn't melt off until
    around LUNCHtime! That's when I discovered that the thin little socks I
    normally wore with my maryjanes really weren't all that effective as
    gloves :-)

    Yes, I remember that one. That place is the coldest place in the
    U.S anyway so the snow seemed appropriate to me.

  12. "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:
    Quoted message said:

    How's the pup training going?

    She's excellent.

    Quoted message said:

    How's the student training going?

    Good, and some of the teachers are getting better also. Not as quickly as
    I had hoped for though.

    Heh. You're training the teachers, too? No doubt some could use it.
    Sometimes people go into a profession for all the wrong reasons. Maybe
    they watched To Sir With Love or Room 222 a few too many times.

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were top
    students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most people
    don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be called a
    teaching gap.

  13. JC Der Koenig said:

    "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    >How's the student training going?

    Good, and some of the teachers are getting better also. Not as quickly as
    I had hoped for though.

    Heh. You're training the teachers, too? No doubt some could use it.
    Sometimes people go into a profession for all the wrong reasons. Maybe
    they watched To Sir With Love or Room 222 a few too many times.

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were top
    students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most people
    don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be called a
    teaching gap.

    Never thought of it that way, but you're right. You can't
    expect the majority of kids to share in a teacher's passion
    for history or whatever. I used to cry when school was
    cancelled because of the weather. I liked almost everything
    about school. Almost went into teaching, too. Scary.

    Marsha/Ohio

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were top
    students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most people
    don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be called a
    teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of it. We
    "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts project, we have to
    teach the kids how to do it, and we also help them with their homework.
    One particular first grade girl has a lot of trouble with reading, and when
    another counsellor offered to help her a few weeks ago, the girl said she
    wanted me instead, because according to her I explain things better.
    That's the first time I ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should be a teacher."

    I really do enjoy working with the kids, and I think I could be good at
    teaching. The thing that scares me about a carreer in education is the
    buerocracy, though. JC and Marsha, do you ever find yourself in conflict
    with the school administration?

    --
    Michelle Levin
    http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

    I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

  15. Luna said:
    JC Der Koenig said:


    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were top
    students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most people
    don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be called a
    teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of it. We
    "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts project, we have to
    teach the kids how to do it, and we also help them with their homework.
    One particular first grade girl has a lot of trouble with reading, and when
    another counsellor offered to help her a few weeks ago, the girl said she
    wanted me instead, because according to her I explain things better.
    That's the first time I ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should be a teacher."

    I really do enjoy working with the kids, and I think I could be good at
    teaching. The thing that scares me about a carreer in education is the
    buerocracy, though. JC and Marsha, do you ever find yourself in conflict
    with the school administration?

    I don't teach, but bureaucracy and red tape don't sit well
    with me. If you have some level of patience and diplomacy,
    you could learn to deal with it.

    Marsha/Ohio

  16. "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    JC Der Koenig said:

    "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    >
    >>How's the student training going?
    >
    >Good, and some of the teachers are getting better also. Not as quickly
    >as I had hoped for though.

    Heh. You're training the teachers, too? No doubt some could use it.
    Sometimes people go into a profession for all the wrong reasons. Maybe
    they watched To Sir With Love or Room 222 a few too many times.

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were
    top students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most
    people don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be
    called a teaching gap.

    Never thought of it that way, but you're right. You can't expect the
    majority of kids to share in a teacher's passion for history or whatever.
    I used to cry when school was cancelled because of the weather. I liked
    almost everything about school. Almost went into teaching, too. Scary.

    I was speaking mainly of middle school and high school. In the lower
    elementary grades, the majority of children seem to enjoy school if they
    have a good teacher. But as always, teachers find a way to screw that up.

  17. Luna said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and
    were top students. They don't understand that they are freaks and
    that most people don't love school and are not top students. This is
    what can be called a teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of
    it. We "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts
    project, we have to teach the kids how to do it, and we also help
    them with their homework. One particular first grade girl has a lot
    of trouble with reading, and when another counsellor offered to help
    her a few weeks ago, the girl said she wanted me instead, because
    according to her I explain things better. That's the first time I
    ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should be a teacher."

    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, god damn it, yes, yes! YOU should be a teacher,
    Luna. From what I have seen of you on this ng, I think you could give a lot
    to the teaching profession and got a lot from it, too. It certainly is NOT
    something everybody can do -- not by a long shot -- but I think you have it.

    Quoted message said:


    I really do enjoy working with the kids, and I think I could be good
    at teaching. The thing that scares me about a carreer in education
    is the buerocracy, though. JC and Marsha, do you ever find yourself
    in conflict with the school administration?

    --
    nimue

    "If I had created reality television I would have had a much greater
    influence, but then I would have had to KILL MYSELF." Joss Whedon

  18. "Luna" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were
    top
    students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most people
    don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be called a
    teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of it. We
    "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts project, we have
    to
    teach the kids how to do it, and we also help them with their homework.
    One particular first grade girl has a lot of trouble with reading, and
    when
    another counsellor offered to help her a few weeks ago, the girl said she
    wanted me instead, because according to her I explain things better.
    That's the first time I ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should be a teacher."

    Elementary is much different than the upper levels.

    Quoted message said:

    I really do enjoy working with the kids, and I think I could be good at
    teaching. The thing that scares me about a carreer in education is the
    buerocracy, though. JC and Marsha, do you ever find yourself in conflict
    with the school administration?

    Learn to spell "bureaucracy" and other big words before you consider
    teaching.

    The adminstration I work under at this time is very supportive, mainly
    because we have common goals and I have considerable success at achieving
    those goals. In fact, it's been that way since I started teaching. In almost
    every case of a teacher I've seen that's been at odds with the
    administration, the teacher believed that he/she knew what was best for the
    students, irrespective of what the State or the administration had mandated.

    I believe that teachers are instruments of the State, which is under the
    control of the taxpayers. It's not my place to decide what's right or wrong
    in teaching the students, only to carry out the wishes of the taxpaying
    public. If a person can't understand that, teaching is probably not the best
    option for that person.

    The other cases of teachers I've seen that have been at odds with the
    administration are those that put out a minimum effort, and those that don't
    get along with the students (they just don't seem to enjoy the company of
    teenagers). Thankfully, these are a minority of cases.

  19. "Marsha" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Luna said:
    JC Der Koenig said:


    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and were
    top students. They don't understand that they are freaks and that most
    people don't love school and are not top students. This is what can be
    called a teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of it.
    We "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts project, we
    have to teach the kids how to do it, and we also help them with their
    homework. One particular first grade girl has a lot of trouble with
    reading, and when another counsellor offered to help her a few weeks ago,
    the girl said she wanted me instead, because according to her I explain
    things better. That's the first time I ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should
    be a teacher." I really do enjoy working with the kids, and I think I
    could be good at teaching. The thing that scares me about a carreer in
    education is the buerocracy, though. JC and Marsha, do you ever find
    yourself in conflict with the school administration?

    I don't teach, but bureaucracy and red tape don't sit well with me. If
    you have some level of patience and diplomacy, you could learn to deal
    with it.

    That's me, patience and diplomacy personified.

  20. "nimue" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Luna said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    JC Der Koenig said:

    Too many teachers go into education because they loved school and
    were top students. They don't understand that they are freaks and
    that most people don't love school and are not top students. This is
    what can be called a teaching gap.

    I'm thinking of going into teaching. I never thought I'd like it, but
    working at the after school program has given me a little taste of
    it. We "teach" in the sense that when we do an arts and crafts
    project, we have to teach the kids how to do it, and we also help
    them with their homework. One particular first grade girl has a lot
    of trouble with reading, and when another counsellor offered to help
    her a few weeks ago, the girl said she wanted me instead, because
    according to her I explain things better. That's the first time I
    ever thought "Hmm, maybe I should be a teacher."

    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, god damn it, yes, yes! YOU should be a teacher,
    Luna. From what I have seen of you on this ng, I think you could give a
    lot
    to the teaching profession and got a lot from it, too. It certainly is
    NOT
    something everybody can do -- not by a long shot -- but I think you have
    it.

    Quoted message said:

    But at what level?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.