Triathlon · Public discussion

I just ran a 24:47 for 5km

Started by Brad Hubbard · · Last activity · 3 posts · 488 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
18 August 2004
Last activity
19 August 2004
Original author
Brad Hubbard
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
488
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just thought I'd share that with you, hope no one minds :-)

    For me this is a major milestone. I spent many years as a recreational
    runner going in the occasional fun run and the rest of the time just
    plodding over whatever distance I could drag my butt over.

    In the 24 months up until January this year I suffered a major and prolonged
    bout of Achilles Tendinitis (I wouldn't wish this on my arch nemesis) and
    wondered if I'd ever be able to run freely again. I decided to concentrate
    on cross training and moved towards triathlon. A change of shoes and some
    rest sorted out my tendinitis (so far, touch wood). I joined the local tri
    club and started to compete, something I had never really done before.
    Anyway, I realised just *plodding* would not cut it anymore so for the last
    couple of months I've concentrated on building an aerobic base AND on
    speed. I'm stoked to break the 5min/km barrier and now I can start working
    towards sub fours!

    Cheers,
    Brad

  2. Brad Hubbard <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Just thought I'd share that with you, hope no one minds :-)

    For me this is a major milestone. I spent many years as a recreational
    runner going in the occasional fun run and the rest of the time just
    plodding over whatever distance I could drag my butt over.

    In the 24 months up until January this year I suffered a major and
    prolonged bout of Achilles Tendinitis (I wouldn't wish this on my arch
    nemesis) and wondered if I'd ever be able to run freely again. I
    decided to concentrate on cross training and moved towards triathlon.
    A change of shoes and some rest sorted out my tendinitis (so far,
    touch wood). I joined the local tri club and started to compete,
    something I had never really done before. Anyway, I realised just
    *plodding* would not cut it anymore so for the last couple of months
    I've concentrated on building an aerobic base AND on speed. I'm stoked
    to break the 5min/km barrier and now I can start working towards sub
    fours!

    Cheers,
    Brad

    Thats pretty good, better than mine right now. What kind of 5k time did
    you have before?
    Van

  3. epson said:

    Thats pretty good, better than mine right now. What kind of 5k time did
    you have before?
    Van

    Hi Van,

    I've never really gone to the trouble of measuring my performances over
    known distances before and never concentrated on speed but I know I've
    never felt this *fast* before and I'm fairly certain I've never been
    able to run 5k at better than 5min/k pace. I'd say before I would have
    been lingering between 5:30 and 6:00.

    Brad

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.