Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Hydration pack for road cycling

Started by Kovie · · Last activity · 79 posts · 3,402 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 June 2005
Last activity
30 June 2005
Original author
Kovie
Posts
79
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,402
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 79
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoting Kovie <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Every once in a while, though, I'd like to be able to ride 25-30 miles to
    some destination where I can relax and read a book for a couple of hours,
    maybe take some pictures, eat something that doesn't come in foil wrap,
    etc. And for that, panniers are overkill, and jersey pockets and a seat pack
    not enough. Thus, the need for a modestly-sized pack.

    Or a saddlebag - unlike panniers, there's no rack to sit on the bike when
    you aren't using the bag.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!
    Today is Aponoia, Presuary.

  2. I use a Rogue on long rides and weekend tours. Even on extended tours,
    when I have panniers, I use the Rogue. I can carry lots of water.
    After I'm used to it, I don't even know it's there. It's a pleasure to
    have water so convenient to drink plus carry more stuff than I can put
    under the seat.

    For mountain biking I carry a MULE, which lets me carry more tools and
    additional clothing.

  3. Kovie wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I understand that if you don't need to carry much in it, you can tighten the
    straps so it doesn't flop around and feels pretty unobtrusive, and that this
    is one of its main selling points. Would you agree?

    The straps work well. Stable, big loads don't feel too bad, straps
    hold their adjustment, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    What about when it's full? Does it make road cycling awkward and less
    enjoyable, or does it handle a full load pretty well?

    It's fine when full. On my first century, I carried a lot of [censored] (too
    much) but it wasn't too bad. I would use it again, if I were to ride a
    similar century (with few water & food stops).

    Quoted message said:

    This was actually the pack I was going to get when I started looking, but
    decided that it was too big for road cycling and too small for hiking and
    commuting. So I ended up getting a bigger pack for the latter and now need a
    smaller one for the former.

    Quoted message said:

    From your initial post, it sounded like you wanted to carry a fair


    amount of stuff. If you've got a jacket, book, water, etc, I think the
    Hawg is ideal. It's exactly the same size on your back as the Mule,
    but it's deeper.

    -Vee

  4. "Vee" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Kovie wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I understand that if you don't need to carry much in it, you can tighten
    the
    straps so it doesn't flop around and feels pretty unobtrusive, and that
    this
    is one of its main selling points. Would you agree?

    The straps work well. Stable, big loads don't feel too bad, straps
    hold their adjustment, etc.

    Quoted message said:

    What about when it's full? Does it make road cycling awkward and less
    enjoyable, or does it handle a full load pretty well?

    It's fine when full. On my first century, I carried a lot of [censored] (too
    much) but it wasn't too bad. I would use it again, if I were to ride a
    similar century (with few water & food stops).

    Quoted message said:

    This was actually the pack I was going to get when I started looking, but
    decided that it was too big for road cycling and too small for hiking and
    commuting. So I ended up getting a bigger pack for the latter and now
    need a
    smaller one for the former.

    Quoted message said:

    From your initial post, it sounded like you wanted to carry a fair


    amount of stuff. If you've got a jacket, book, water, etc, I think the
    Hawg is ideal. It's exactly the same size on your back as the Mule,
    but it's deeper.

    -Vee

    Hmm, I was going to get a Mule or Blowfish, but this sounds tempting. The
    Hawg does seem like an ideal all-around pack, if one could only own one
    (which isn't an issue for me anymore). I suppose I could also use it for
    shorter hikes and urban trekking, something my larger pack would be overkill
    for. Thanks for the tips!

    --
    Kovie
    [email hidden]

  5. "Johhny Two Pedals" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Kovie said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Road cyclists DO NOT use hydration packs/backpacks!!!!! You will look
    like a DUI rider. There are bottle cages to fit every bike.

    I could care less if I don't have that wannabe Lance look down. ,


    <<<<<<< EL SNIPO >>>>>>>>

    To respond to your ORIGINAL QUESTION:

    I have a CamelBack Rogue that fills my needs admirably. It's smallish
    and sits well on my back, does not hamper access to my jersey pockets,
    provides enough water for a 75 mile ride (YMMV. I carry tubes and a
    repair kit in a small under-saddle bag, so the Rogue provides just
    enough cargo space for a couple of extra items (camera, keys, wallet
    etc).

    The rogue also is small enough to fit UNDER a jacket or fleece in the
    winter (although you may find the urge to perform bad Quasimodo
    imitations while off the bike).

    I must admit that I was hesitant about wearing a Bag o'water on my
    back, as I really don't like the instability of carrying weight up high
    (I will carry a backpack on a bike only when absolutely nesecarry).
    However, the Rogue sits so close to the body that I often forget it's
    there. I count it as one of the best investments I have made ....

    The plus side effect is that since water is so close at hand, I tend to
    drink (or at least rinse my mouth out) more often.

    Good Luck

    Comments highly appreciated. I'll probably get a somewhat larger bag with
    more water capacity (I sweat just by looking at my bike), but it's nice to
    hear that wearing a hydration pack doesn't take away from the cycling
    experience, which some in this thread seem to believe. I hate drinking from
    bottles while in motion and like you am sure I'll drink more often with a
    pack.

    --
    Kovie
    [email hidden]

  6. : Comments highly appreciated. I'll probably get a somewhat larger bag with
    : more water capacity (I sweat just by looking at my bike), but it's nice to
    : hear that wearing a hydration pack doesn't take away from the cycling
    : experience, which some in this thread seem to believe. I hate drinking
    from
    : bottles while in motion and like you am sure I'll drink more often with a
    : pack.
    :
    : --
    : Kovie

    here is what I have observed: I drink more water when I use the backpack. If
    it is windy, I don't like to take my hands off of the handlebars and the
    backpack keeps me drinking. Sure, the pack weighs 6-7 pounds at the outset,
    but it keeps water colder than the bottles, and, it gets lighter as you
    ride--so that's a psychological benefit as well! I use the 70 oz pack on
    rides of 3 hours or less. For longer rides, or hotter days, I go to the 100
    oz pack. This last week has been hot in Texas (95 F), so I noticed I was
    drinking the entire 70 oz volume plus a 20 oz insulated water bottle. I'll
    just switch to the 100 oz pack from now on this summer and put a lot of ice
    in it. They're balanced well, and as you get used to it, the weight becomes
    less noticeable. Also, in the Fall, you can go without the pack and that
    gives you a sense of freedom and exhilaration that the cooler weather also
    brings.

    Pat in TX

  7. Kovie said:

    Put another way, what I really need is a hydration pack, and what I want is
    one that can also carry a few things that won't fit into jersey pockets and
    a seat pack, and for which panniers would be overkill. Seemed pretty simple
    when I made my OP. ;-)

    Look at Deuter packs. They have a suspension system that keeps the
    pack away from your back and really reduces the sweating, besides they
    overall seem to be nicely made. I have this one:

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=676007&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=830125

    and like it a lot.

    --
    --kabes.

  8. "kabes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kovie said:

    Put another way, what I really need is a hydration pack, and what I want
    is
    one that can also carry a few things that won't fit into jersey pockets
    and
    a seat pack, and for which panniers would be overkill. Seemed pretty
    simple
    when I made my OP. ;-)

    Look at Deuter packs. They have a suspension system that keeps the
    pack away from your back and really reduces the sweating, besides they
    overall seem to be nicely made. I have this one:

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=676007&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=830125

    and like it a lot.

    --
    --kabes.

    I actually just bought a Deuter, the Transalp 25. I like it a lot, but it's
    really too big for regular riding. I might use it for commuting, but not for
    recreational riding. It doesn't appear that they have a pack small enough
    for my needs, not one that's easily available in the states at least.

    --
    Kovie
    [email hidden]

  9. Kovie said:

    "Johhny Two Pedals" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kovie said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    >Road cyclists DO NOT use hydration packs/backpacks!!!!! You will look
    >like a DUI rider. There are bottle cages to fit every bike.
    >

    I could care less if I don't have that wannabe Lance look down. ,

    <<<<<<< EL SNIPO >>>>>>>>

    To respond to your ORIGINAL QUESTION:

    I have a CamelBack Rogue that fills my needs admirably. It's smallish
    and sits well on my back, does not hamper access to my jersey pockets,
    provides enough water for a 75 mile ride (YMMV. I carry tubes and a
    repair kit in a small under-saddle bag, so the Rogue provides just
    enough cargo space for a couple of extra items (camera, keys, wallet
    etc).

    The rogue also is small enough to fit UNDER a jacket or fleece in the
    winter (although you may find the urge to perform bad Quasimodo
    imitations while off the bike).

    I must admit that I was hesitant about wearing a Bag o'water on my
    back, as I really don't like the instability of carrying weight up high
    (I will carry a backpack on a bike only when absolutely nesecarry).
    However, the Rogue sits so close to the body that I often forget it's
    there. I count it as one of the best investments I have made ....

    The plus side effect is that since water is so close at hand, I tend to
    drink (or at least rinse my mouth out) more often.

    Good Luck

    Comments highly appreciated. I'll probably get a somewhat larger bag with
    more water capacity (I sweat just by looking at my bike), but it's nice to
    hear that wearing a hydration pack doesn't take away from the cycling
    experience, which some in this thread seem to believe. I hate drinking from
    bottles while in motion and like you am sure I'll drink more often with a
    pack.

    I am a converted mountain (tm) biker. I used Camelback Mules and Hawgs
    during my mtb days and after I started riding the road more (now I am an
    exclusive road bike rider, though I off-road frequently). One day, on a
    whim, I decided to leave the hydration pack behind. It turns out that
    two 20 oz bottles are more than enough in suburbia. Hell, it's more
    than enough in most areas of civilization. So, I experienced a great
    freedom! Much greater comfort! Everything you can (or should) carry in
    the hydration pack can easily be packed on the bike and with FAR greater
    comfort, especially when it's HOT! If you need more than that you need
    a rack or saddle bag.

    I initially abandoned helmets for the same reason, but THIS IS NOT A
    TROLL!!!!!

    Robin Hubert

  10. Robin Hubert said:

    (now I am an exclusive road bike rider, though I off-road frequently).

    OK, I'll bite: Huh?

    Bill "my story's very similar (used to be a mtb-er but now mostly a roadie)"
    S.

  11. :
    : I am a converted mountain (tm) biker. I used Camelback Mules and Hawgs
    : during my mtb days and after I started riding the road more (now I am an
    : exclusive road bike rider, though I off-road frequently). One day, on a
    : whim, I decided to leave the hydration pack behind. It turns out that
    : two 20 oz bottles are more than enough in suburbia. Hell, it's more
    : than enough in most areas of civilization.

    Note to Robin: It's not enough in Texas.

    So, I experienced a great
    : freedom! Much greater comfort! Everything you can (or should) carry in
    : the hydration pack can easily be packed on the bike and with FAR greater
    : comfort, especially when it's HOT! If you need more than that you need
    : a rack or saddle bag.

    Say, what do you consider hot? Yesterday, I rode 35 miles in 95 degree F
    summer weather and drank the contents of a 70 oz hydrapak plus a 24 ounce
    water bottle....

    :
    : I initially abandoned helmets for the same reason, but THIS IS NOT A
    : TROLL!!!!!
    :
    :
    : Robin Hubert

    Do you live in a cold climate? You must!

    Pat in TX

  12. Pat wrote:
    : than enough in most areas of civilization.

    Quoted message said:


    Note to Robin: It's not enough in Texas.

    Say, what do you consider hot? Yesterday, I rode 35 miles in 95 degree F
    summer weather and drank the contents of a 70 oz hydrapak plus a 24 ounce
    water bottle....

    :
    : I initially abandoned helmets for the same reason, but THIS IS NOT A
    : TROLL!!!!!
    :
    :
    : Robin Hubert

    Do you live in a cold climate? You must!

    Pat in TX

    I have been lurking onto this thread and I don't think the question is
    about water amonts and what is enough but whether or not ya gotta carry
    all you will need when you start along with all you will think you will
    need on the ride in terms of tools, clothes, cell phones, tubes, etc.

    Remember why the water inna back pack was introduced. For MTB guys that
    are riding in the wilds(no water available anywhere except with you),
    the difficulty of reaching down for a bottle when you are bouncing
    around and the high possibility of bottle being launched from the cage,
    while bouncing around.

    None of these apply for most road rides, even in Texas. On most all
    road rides, water is available anywhwre, the roads are smooth and it's
    easy to reach down. Pockets in the back hold just about anything, as do
    a small pack under the seat, SO...I see no need to have one of these
    things on my back when I ride BUT if ya want to carry a back pack, go
    ahead.

  13. Bill Sornson said:
    Robin Hubert said:

    (now I am an exclusive road bike rider, though I off-road frequently).

    OK, I'll bite: Huh?

    Jobstonian style of riding the bike anywhere you can make it go (single
    track, etc.).

    Quoted message said:

    Bill "my story's very similar (used to be a mtb-er but now mostly a roadie)"
    S.

    Robin Hubert

  14. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Pat wrote:
    : than enough in most areas of civilization.

    Quoted message said:

    Note to Robin: It's not enough in Texas.

    Say, what do you consider hot? Yesterday, I rode 35 miles in 95 degree F
    summer weather and drank the contents of a 70 oz hydrapak plus a 24 ounce
    water bottle....

    :
    : I initially abandoned helmets for the same reason, but THIS IS NOT A
    : TROLL!!!!!
    :
    :
    : Robin Hubert

    Do you live in a cold climate? You must!

    Pat in TX

    I have been lurking onto this thread and I don't think the question is
    about water amonts and what is enough but whether or not ya gotta carry
    all you will need when you start along with all you will think you will
    need on the ride in terms of tools, clothes, cell phones, tubes, etc.

    Remember why the water inna back pack was introduced. For MTB guys that
    are riding in the wilds(no water available anywhere except with you),
    the difficulty of reaching down for a bottle when you are bouncing
    around and the high possibility of bottle being launched from the cage,
    while bouncing around.

    None of these apply for most road rides, even in Texas. On most all
    road rides, water is available anywhwre, the roads are smooth and it's
    easy to reach down. Pockets in the back hold just about anything, as do
    a small pack under the seat, SO...I see no need to have one of these
    things on my back when I ride BUT if ya want to carry a back pack, go
    ahead.

    I agree with Peter here (Peter, forgive me for sounding off your post -
    I misplaced the response to me).

    Is Illinois hot enough for you? Yes, I routinely ride in very hot
    weather, though for not as many days of the year as you might in Texas.
    This whole week has been 90's.

    I discovered that bottles were far superior to backpacks in the heat,
    after mountain biking culture left me a bit brainwashed. Once I took
    mine off, I decided I would use them only in the winter, where the extra
    insulation kept the water from freezing for just a little longer. I
    didn't need it even off-roading then, because we were always near fresh
    water at the trail head, just down the road, etc. To Heck with sip,
    sip, I glug-glug.

    I am fortunate enough to live in suburbia, and even long rides move me
    through towns, intesections, etc. that sport gas stations or convenience
    marts. Farther from civilization you find farmers. Strangers *love* to
    give you water. I'd go so far as to say that I look forward to the
    interaction with strangers, and is part of the reason I ride. So, if
    you have a regular route, you should have some regular water sources.
    If you don't, maybe you could look at some other routes?

    Even in the greatest heat you can't process more than 1.2-1.5 quarts/hr.
    (that's alot of drinking!). You can lose a quart or more an hour ....
    Do you mean to say that you cannot find water every hour or so? For
    how long are your rides?

    Robin Hubert

  15. Robin Hubert said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Pat wrote:
    : than enough in most areas of civilization.

    Quoted message said:

    Note to Robin: It's not enough in Texas.

    Say, what do you consider hot? Yesterday, I rode 35 miles in 95 degree F
    summer weather and drank the contents of a 70 oz hydrapak plus a 24
    ounce
    water bottle....

    :
    : I initially abandoned helmets for the same reason, but THIS IS NOT A
    : TROLL!!!!!
    :
    :
    : Robin Hubert

    Do you live in a cold climate? You must!

    Pat in TX

    I have been lurking onto this thread and I don't think the question is
    about water amonts and what is enough but whether or not ya gotta carry
    all you will need when you start along with all you will think you will
    need on the ride in terms of tools, clothes, cell phones, tubes, etc.

    Remember why the water inna back pack was introduced. For MTB guys that
    are riding in the wilds(no water available anywhere except with you),
    the difficulty of reaching down for a bottle when you are bouncing
    around and the high possibility of bottle being launched from the cage,
    while bouncing around.

    None of these apply for most road rides, even in Texas. On most all
    road rides, water is available anywhwre, the roads are smooth and it's
    easy to reach down. Pockets in the back hold just about anything, as do
    a small pack under the seat, SO...I see no need to have one of these
    things on my back when I ride BUT if ya want to carry a back pack, go
    ahead.

    I agree with Peter here (Peter, forgive me for sounding off your post -
    I misplaced the response to me).

    Is Illinois hot enough for you? Yes, I routinely ride in very hot
    weather, though for not as many days of the year as you might in Texas.
    This whole week has been 90's.

    I discovered that bottles were far superior to backpacks in the heat,
    after mountain biking culture left me a bit brainwashed. Once I took
    mine off, I decided I would use them only in the winter, where the extra
    insulation kept the water from freezing for just a little longer. I
    didn't need it even off-roading then, because we were always near fresh
    water at the trail head, just down the road, etc. To Heck with sip,
    sip, I glug-glug.

    I am fortunate enough to live in suburbia, and even long rides move me
    through towns, intesections, etc. that sport gas stations or convenience
    marts. Farther from civilization you find farmers. Strangers *love* to
    give you water. I'd go so far as to say that I look forward to the
    interaction with strangers, and is part of the reason I ride. So, if
    you have a regular route, you should have some regular water sources. If
    you don't, maybe you could look at some other routes?

    Even in the greatest heat you can't process more than 1.2-1.5 quarts/hr.
    (that's alot of drinking!). You can lose a quart or more an hour ....
    Do you mean to say that you cannot find water every hour or so? For
    how long are your rides?

    Robin Hubert

    BTW, I noticed that Illinois and Texas currently have the same range of
    temperatures, via wunderground.com (click on the state on the national
    map). Yes, we're having a heat wave while you're having normal
    temperatures.

    Robin Hubert

  16. Robin Hubert wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Even in the greatest heat you can't process more than 1.2-1.5 quarts/hr.
    (that's alot of drinking!). You can lose a quart or more an hour ....
    Do you mean to say that you cannot find water every hour or so? For
    how long are your rides?

    Reread his initial post. He wants to carry a bunch of stuff in
    addition to water, and he doesn't want a rack. That's why this "carry
    it on the bike" talk is pointless.

    -Vee

  17. Kovie said:

    "kabes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kovie said:

    Put another way, what I really need is a hydration pack, and what
    I want is one that can also carry a few things that won't fit into
    jersey pockets and a seat pack, and for which panniers would be
    overkill. Seemed pretty simple when I made my OP. ;-)

    Look at Deuter packs. They have a suspension system that keeps the
    pack away from your back and really reduces the sweating, besides they
    overall seem to be nicely made. I have this one:

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=676007&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=830125

    and like it a lot.

    --
    --kabes.

    I actually just bought a Deuter, the Transalp 25. I like it a lot, but it's
    really too big for regular riding. I might use it for commuting, but not for
    recreational riding. It doesn't appear that they have a pack small enough
    for my needs, not one that's easily available in the states at least.

    This one here is pretty small (14L as opposed to your 25L) and light
    (I handled one in the MEC store, but decided it was too small, and got
    a bigger one):

    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=830383&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=676007&bmUID=1119741452175

    (though of course MEC is in Canada, and this particular item for some
    reason does not ship to US)...

    --
    --kabes.

  18. Quoted message said:

    I've been eyeing several Camelbaks, especially the MULE, Blowfish and HAWG.
    I like the compact size of the MULE, but am concerned that it might be a tad
    too small, and that if I packed its various expandable pockets, it would
    become unwieldy and shift around.

    Go with the MULE. I have a couple Camelbak models. Their valve works
    very well. On long brevets, 200-300-400 km, I have wished for more
    than the 70 ounces of the models I own. I drink much more with the
    Camelbak, which is important on century plus rides. The 100 oz of the
    MULE would be nice. As for the cargo capacity of my Camelbak, I use it
    for arm/leg warmers, balaclava, wind vest. Never anything heavy. That
    would be a miserable bike ride.

    For a 400 km brevet this year I used 4 P clips to mount a rack to my
    bike. Carried all the heavy and bulky stuff in a rack pack. Nice. I
    also had three water bottles mounted to the frame. But its easier to
    drink from the Camelbak.

    On all the rides I go on, Camelbaks are mostly used by mountain bike,
    hybrid bike riders. I may have seen one person on a many thousand
    dollar carbon/titanium wonder bike in the past decade using a Camelbak.
    People riding those types of bikes do not use Camelbaks or carry much
    of anything with them. Most of them have seatbags barely large enough
    to hold a credit card. The idea of carbon/titanium wonder bike riders
    using a Camelbak or carrying anything on their bikes is humorous.

  19. Per Robin Hubert:

    Quoted message said:

    I discovered that bottles were far superior to backpacks in the heat,

    Since I've been dabbling in riding to work, I find that w/temp in the high
    80's/low 90's a single 24 oz bottle of water does it for me for the one-hour
    trip each way.

    I fill it up before leaving, guzzle the whole thing, fill it up again, and then
    go. Usually get to work or home with the bottle empty, but no particular
    thirst.

    For a two-hour straight-through ride, seems to me like that comes out to 72 oz
    that I'd need to have on board at the beginning of the ride.(still drinking 24
    oz before leaving...)
    --
    PeteCresswell

  20. I'm getting kind of tired of explaining/defending my reasons for wanting a
    hydration pack--although I'm beginning to suspect that some if not most of
    the "why on earth would a roadie want a hydration pack" responses I've been
    getting are of the troll, snark and "I love to spew forth my philisophy of
    riding, life and all things me"--but here goes, one (hopefully) last time.

    I do not intend to carry a cast iron stove on my back or use a hydration
    pack every time I go riding. Often, I'm going to want to go riding for 25-50
    miles, maybe more, and just ride, on a nice, warm, sunny day, on bike
    trails, urban, suburban or country roads, where water is easily available
    and my two water bottles will me enough to sustain me between refills, I
    won't need a jacket or shell, don't need to carry any books, MP3 players,
    cameras, etc., and everything I do need (the usual pump, tools, spare tube,
    patch kit, first aid kit, money, cell phone and granola bar or two) can
    easily fit on my frame, seat pack or jersey pockets.

    HOWEVER, there will be times when I will either be commuting fairly short
    distances and need to haul spare clothes and a few other items, or going out
    for a ride, but want to take a light book, or camera, or a sandwich, or a
    shell or fleece jersey if it might rain or cool down later on, etc. Since I
    don't plan on doing either on a regular basis, I don't see the need to fit a
    rack and panniers on my bike, and think a light, compact backpack is the
    answer for MY needs, not the needs of others in this ng. Now, it doesn't
    necessarily have to be a hydration pack, but if I'm getting a pack, it might
    as well be a hydration pack, since they're not that much more expensive, I
    like the idea of being able to drink hands-free, and I can always use it for
    non-cycling activities such as hiking or trekking around town (which, of
    course, a rack and panniers would be useless for).

    I might, of course, find that carrying water and stuff on my bike takes away
    from the pleasure of riding. But given the MANY road cyclists I see out here
    riding with packs, I suspect for occasional use, I'll be ok with it. It
    might violate purists' notion of what road cycling is all about, but they're
    a breed apart and I'm not looking for the approval of people who don't
    flinch at spending $100 for a jersey. If you see me on the road, have a good
    chuckle, if that's what rocks your world.

    And if I sound a tad defensive, it's because I'm getting tired of feeling
    like I have to defend myself against advice that, however well-meant, has
    little to do with my OP. If hydration packs don't make sense to someone,
    that's fine with me, and they shouldn't use them. I'm not them, though.
    Anyway, I've already bought one hydration pack, a larger one mostly for
    hiking but occasionally for bike commuting. Now I want to buy a smaller one,
    mostly for road cycling, for the reasons I explained yet against above. If
    they don't make sense to you, then that's not my problem.

    --
    Kovie
    [email hidden]

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been eyeing several Camelbaks, especially the MULE, Blowfish and
    HAWG.
    I like the compact size of the MULE, but am concerned that it might be a
    tad
    too small, and that if I packed its various expandable pockets, it would
    become unwieldy and shift around.

    Go with the MULE. I have a couple Camelbak models. Their valve works
    very well. On long brevets, 200-300-400 km, I have wished for more
    than the 70 ounces of the models I own. I drink much more with the
    Camelbak, which is important on century plus rides. The 100 oz of the
    MULE would be nice. As for the cargo capacity of my Camelbak, I use it
    for arm/leg warmers, balaclava, wind vest. Never anything heavy. That
    would be a miserable bike ride.

    For a 400 km brevet this year I used 4 P clips to mount a rack to my
    bike. Carried all the heavy and bulky stuff in a rack pack. Nice. I
    also had three water bottles mounted to the frame. But its easier to
    drink from the Camelbak.

    On all the rides I go on, Camelbaks are mostly used by mountain bike,
    hybrid bike riders. I may have seen one person on a many thousand
    dollar carbon/titanium wonder bike in the past decade using a Camelbak.
    People riding those types of bikes do not use Camelbaks or carry much
    of anything with them. Most of them have seatbags barely large enough
    to hold a credit card. The idea of carbon/titanium wonder bike riders
    using a Camelbak or carrying anything on their bikes is humorous.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.