Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

hub spacers, and a question about older ZIPP rears

Started by Josh · · Last activity · 4 posts · 592 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 December 2005
Last activity
31 December 2005
Original author
Josh
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
592
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Okay, so this one doesn't involve bike shops...

    I posted a while back asking about hub spacers and mavic cosmos rears, etc.
    I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel, on an
    XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only the thin
    0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs didn't lock
    down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out (they aren't cut all
    the way through for strength reasons). When I used the 0.5mm spacer with the
    1mm wider flange spacer that comes with the hubs, the cassette locks down
    well (using the freewheel tool which I actually own...) but the alignment of
    the 11 is so far over that I couldn't get my rear derailleur to swing over
    far enough even with the high stop all the way out. I tried a spacer under
    the derallieur attachement, but it was catching on a dropout attachement and
    tilting the whole thing over to the side a bit, as well as keeping it from
    rotating well for some strange reason.

    Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on the hub
    and its working perfectly. Incidentally, I got the extra spacers along with
    an auction I won for a set a carbon brake pads. I realized the auction was
    old stock from a bike shop, and asked the guy about my problem. He threw in
    the extra spacer for no charge with a merry christmas. Again, I was prepared
    to pay, but he understood that he was probably better off losing the, say,
    $0.20 on it and gaining a loyal customer.

    But anyway, thanks to all for your help on that one, its perfect now.

    Another stupid question of the day, I just picked up a used ZIPP440 with the
    217 rear hub (the one with the carbon center part) that it seems wasn't
    lubricated correctly and feels very stiff to rotate. I started cleaning it
    as per ZIPPs instructions and its getting better, but 2 questions... do
    these 'click' like most hubs? Also, should I really get the ZIPP lube or is
    there something very similar to it more readily available

    -josh

  2. "Josh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, so this one doesn't involve bike shops...

    I posted a while back asking about hub spacers and mavic cosmos rears,
    etc. I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel,
    on an XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only
    the thin 0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs
    didn't lock down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out
    (they aren't cut all the way through for strength reasons). When I
    used the 0.5mm spacer with the 1mm wider flange spacer that comes with
    the hubs, the cassette locks down well (using the freewheel tool which
    I actually own...) but the alignment of the 11 is so far over that I
    couldn't get my rear derailleur to swing over far enough even with the
    high stop all the way out. I tried a spacer under the derallieur
    attachement, but it was catching on a dropout attachement and tilting
    the whole thing over to the side a bit, as well as keeping it from
    rotating well for some strange reason.

    Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on
    the hub and its working perfectly. Incidentally, I got the extra
    spacers along with an auction I won for a set a carbon brake pads. I
    realized the auction was old stock from a bike shop, and asked the guy
    about my problem. He threw in the extra spacer for no charge with a
    merry christmas. Again, I was prepared to pay, but he understood that
    he was probably better off losing the, say, $0.20 on it and gaining a
    loyal customer.

    But anyway, thanks to all for your help on that one, its perfect now.

    Another stupid question of the day, I just picked up a used ZIPP440
    with the 217 rear hub (the one with the carbon center part) that it
    seems wasn't lubricated correctly and feels very stiff to rotate. I
    started cleaning it as per ZIPPs instructions and its getting better,
    but 2 questions... do these 'click' like most hubs? Also, should I
    really get the ZIPP lube or is there something very similar to it more
    readily available


    You can use Tri-flow and yes they do click. I hope yours isn't ruined
    from neglect or from using the wrong lube.

    Phil H

  3. Ahh yes. Thanks so much. I got it the rest of the way clean and relubed and
    its clicking and spinning nice and smooth. If I had to guess I'd say it was
    freshly mis-lubed before I bought it so no damage was done.

    cheers
    -Josh

    "Phil Holman" <piholmanc@yourservice> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Josh" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Okay, so this one doesn't involve bike shops...

    I posted a while back asking about hub spacers and mavic cosmos rears,
    etc. I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel, on
    an XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only the
    thin 0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs didn't
    lock down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out (they aren't
    cut all the way through for strength reasons). When I used the 0.5mm
    spacer with the 1mm wider flange spacer that comes with the hubs, the
    cassette locks down well (using the freewheel tool which I actually
    own...) but the alignment of the 11 is so far over that I couldn't get my
    rear derailleur to swing over far enough even with the high stop all the
    way out. I tried a spacer under the derallieur attachement, but it was
    catching on a dropout attachement and tilting the whole thing over to the
    side a bit, as well as keeping it from rotating well for some strange
    reason.

    Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on the
    hub and its working perfectly. Incidentally, I got the extra spacers
    along with an auction I won for a set a carbon brake pads. I realized the
    auction was old stock from a bike shop, and asked the guy about my
    problem. He threw in the extra spacer for no charge with a merry
    christmas. Again, I was prepared to pay, but he understood that he was
    probably better off losing the, say, $0.20 on it and gaining a loyal
    customer.

    But anyway, thanks to all for your help on that one, its perfect now.

    Another stupid question of the day, I just picked up a used ZIPP440 with
    the 217 rear hub (the one with the carbon center part) that it seems
    wasn't lubricated correctly and feels very stiff to rotate. I started
    cleaning it as per ZIPPs instructions and its getting better, but 2
    questions... do these 'click' like most hubs? Also, should I really get
    the ZIPP lube or is there something very similar to it more readily
    available


    You can use Tri-flow and yes they do click. I hope yours isn't ruined from
    neglect or from using the wrong lube.

    Phil H

  4. Josh said:

    I'm working with a DA 10 speed 11-23 cassette, cosmos rear wheel, on an
    XLR8R frameset with columbus muscle carbon rear stays. With only the thin
    0.5mm spacer that comes with the 10 speed cassette, the cogs didn't lock
    down before the slots on the 11 tooth ring bottomed out (they aren't cut all
    the way through for strength reasons). When I used the 0.5mm spacer with the
    1mm wider flange spacer that comes with the hubs, the cassette locks down
    well (using the freewheel tool which I actually own...) but the alignment of
    the 11 is so far over that I couldn't get my rear derailleur to swing over
    far enough even with the high stop all the way out.
    Long story not so short, I now have two of the 0.5mm thin spacers on the hub
    and its working perfectly.

    I've sucessfully ground about a millimeter off length of the cassette
    body's splines to let the 11 go on farther. Takes a careful hand, but
    isn't that hard and works a treat! Something to think about if your
    derailleur spring gets a little weaker.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.