Mate of mine goes to a spinning class once a week and currently does some turbo sessions in which he works to heart rate. Strange thing is that he can't get his heart rate above 140bpm on the turbo which is just above Z1 for him. He has no problem increasing his HR to higher levels when at spinning though. The reason given for him not being able to increase his HR further on the turbo is that his legs start to burn.
As it appears to work when spinning but not when on the turbo I was wondering if this might have something to do with bike position. Any thoughts?
Mate of mine goes to a spinning class once a week and currently does some turbo sessions in which he works to heart rate. Strange thing is that he can't get his heart rate above 140bpm on the turbo which is just above Z1 for him. He has no problem increasing his HR to higher levels when at spinning though. The reason given for him not being able to increase his HR further on the turbo is that his legs start to burn.
As it appears to work when spinning but not when on the turbo I was wondering if this might have something to do with bike position. Any thoughts?
Cheers K.
My guess is that he is turning too big a gear on the turbo. HR will increase when spinning fast, and legs will burn when grinding out a big gear slowly. He needs to find the appropriate balance between the two on the turbo trainer.
Bob, You also think it is due to bike position. Just to clarify, in the Spin class he can get his HR up to 175 but at home on the turbo he can't raise the HR above 140 without his legs falling off.
Not sure, I know my heart rate is 15 to 20 BPM's higher when I do spin class. I think (for me) it is a combination of higher cadence and longer periods of out of the saddle (running/jogging) in the spin class. I also believe my body temp is higher while in the spin class.