Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Where is that Memphmann guy? I just read the whole thread over again... wow he's such an e-thug... :D

Randal Lovelace said:
I just weighed both of the bikes if have....

Huffy Blue Ridge 18sp MTB - 34 pounds.....

Lotus Elan 12sp Road bike - 25 pounds....

How much does the bike you ride weigh?

Ironhorse Maverick Disc Mountain Bike - 33 lbs.

I have a cheap $70 mountain bike that weighs in @ about 39 pounds! I'm guessing that's a lot!

boyRacer said:
Where is that Memphmann guy? I just read the whole thread over again... wow he's such an e-thug... :D
YEAH, HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE AROUND ALL THAT MUCH NOW. :D

lol
tongue.gif

My Cannondale road bike weighs about 20 pounds. Both my wheels alone weigh about 7 pounds....is that heavy?

ALAN OBRIEN said:
YEAH, HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE AROUND ALL THAT MUCH NOW. :D

Damn there is no "what a relief" smiley?!

I have a 16Lb (7.5 Kg) Marinoni Piuma with Campy Centaur Campy Proton wheels. Its such a great ride!

Gees, I hate it when the choices don't match what could be an obvious answer!

I have two road bikes and they weigh 9.2 and 9.4 pounds. So which category should I use?

Road Bike, Scott AFD Team, weighs 7.3kg
My MTB currently weighs 25kg (Cant wait to replace that one)

Some of the weights above don't quite fit! I thought only Lance got bikes, like the modified Trek 5900, which weighed sub 16 lbs. Did you guys really weigh your bike or just take the manufacturer's specs? Nevermind, my new bike, a Lemond Zurich circa 2002 weighs 8.5 k or 18.7 lbs with pedals. Not bad for a crome-moly frame considering what I've seen titanium and carbon-fibre bikes sell for. Any other chrome-moly road bikes out there in the 18 lb range?

bcwildthing said:
...Not bad for a crome-moly frame considering what I've seen titanium and carbon-fibre bikes sell for. Any other chrome-moly road bikes out there in the 18 lb range?

I agree if the consideration is weight alone, but the real benefits of carbon and Ti is the unique ride characteristics combined with low weight.

Gruppo, I'll admit to not having tried either a carbon nor titanium frame. What I thought was understood about titanium frames is their stiffness and relative lightness. All depends on the frame design, but the ride characteristics of aluminium and titanium seemed similar while carbon was more supple and responsive.

I'm particularly happy with my Zurich, it seems alive and is not too heavy either! Knocked 5 minutes off my commute and comes alive when I'm going up hills. I also paid $1500 since it was a few years old, not too shabby compared to the $3000 you pay for a good carbon or titanium. Just my take on this.

bcwildthing said:
...All depends on the frame design, but the ride characteristics of aluminium and titanium seemed similar while carbon was more supple and responsive.

I am certainly not quibbling with your choice. And I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned "frame design". I just wanted to point out that materials, design, and build-quality are as important as weight. I see a lot of people get hung up on materials and weight, while at the same time ignoring there is much more to the equation.

For example, I have both a carbon and a Ti bike. Both are fitted with Dura-Ace groups and have comparable wheelsets. The carbon is 4 oz. lighter than the Ti, but Ti is a vastly superior ride. I compare the difference to a luxury car (carbon) and sports car (Ti). But admittedly, given two different bikes/manufacturers, the preference may be quite different. In fact, someone else may ride my two bikes and prefer the carbon over the Ti on ride characteristics alone -- not probable, but possible.

gruppo said:
For example, I have both a carbon and a Ti bike. Both are fitted with Dura-Ace groups and have comparable wheelsets. The carbon is 4 oz. lighter than the Ti, but Ti is a vastly superior ride. I compare the difference to a luxury car (carbon) and sports car (Ti). But admittedly, given two different bikes/manufacturers, the preference may be quite different. In fact, someone else may ride my two bikes and prefer the carbon over the Ti on ride characteristics alone -- not probable, but possible.

Gruppo, that is interesting that the ti would have a superior ride than the carbon. What is it about the ride you prefer? Responsiveness, stiffness, handling while climbing, or just a rock-solid ride? I'm new to the higher end frames, having only had Columbus SL and SLX frames before. I've only ridden the Opus with aluminium and carbon forks and stays to compare with the Reynolds. I liked the aluminium/carbon combo, but didn't take it for an hour ride with some rough spots in the road like I've done with the Reynolds 835 tubing on the LeMond. I think I like the combination of stiffness and responsiveness that can be found in high-end reynolds tubing made into quality produced frames for 100 mile riding. I'm into endurance cycling, not racing.