• 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Future-pro said:
bit of a stupid question but how is everyone weighing their bikes i find on the scales the weight changes a lot depending upon the position of the bike i try to keep the bike as upright as possible when weighing it
---
I always hang my bike by the front wheel on the celling scale.
My track bike weight about 11.2 pounds and my road about 17.9 pounds. I also have a TT bike with a full carbon wheel at the raed it must weight about 21 pounds but once it gets going you can stop that TT bike.
Andy Lamarre, Montreal, Canada

Future-pro said:
bit of a stupid question but how is everyone weighing their bikes i find on the scales the weight changes a lot depending upon the position of the bike i try to keep the bike as upright as possible when weighing it

i weigh myself (A), then weigh myself holding the bike (B), then i subtract the first from the second.

weight of bike = B - A

don't have to worry about bike positioning or it rolling, etc.

Memphmann said:
I like your post. Been writing the same point forever. The only reason these ppl get their bikes as light humanly possible, is to show off. Sure it is great if pro, but how many pros on this site? These ppl purchase carbon cages to show off their wealth. Most are lousy riders with weak endurance....

Memph
nice, memph... your posts are mostly identical too. i'm glad someonehas everyone else wired. you know the cliche stereotype of the know-it-all, holier-than-thou, hypocritical, pseudo-idealist jerk people shake their heads about? get familiar.
p.s. saying a $50 cage signifies wealth is a window into your motivation for such caustic, self-aggrandizing criticism, but you're not shy about that, i guess.

Memphmann said:
I like your post. Been writing the same point forever. The only reason these ppl get their bikes as light humanly possible, is to show off. Sure it is great if pro, but how many pros on this site? These ppl purchase carbon cages to show off their wealth. Most are lousy riders with weak endurance....

Memph
nice, memph... your posts are mostly identical too. i'm glad someone has everyone else wired, cuz i just can't figure them out. you know that cliche stereotype of the know-it-all, holier-than-thou, hypocritical, pseuo-idealist jerk that people shake their heads about? get familiar.
p.s. saying a $50 cage signifies wealth is a big, bright, shiny window into your motivation for such caustic, self-aggrandizing, unsolicited criticism.
good luck with that.

meltingfeather said:
nice, memph... your posts are mostly identical too. i'm glad someone has everyone else wired, cuz i just can't figure them out. you know that cliche stereotype of the know-it-all, holier-than-thou, hypocritical, pseuo-idealist jerk that people shake their heads about? get familiar.
p.s. saying a $50 cage signifies wealth is a big, bright, shiny window into your motivation for such caustic, self-aggrandizing, unsolicited criticism.
good luck with that.

Memphman disappeared from the face of the earth, or at least this forum,about two years ago.
If he replies I will be shocked.

Can I revote? I got a new bike (I guess I'm a show off now). Without pedals/cages etc, she tipped the scale at 16 lbs 9 oz. Just over 17 with that stuff. I also refurbished my old bike and with the diet she lost almost 3 lbs (new wheels, shifters, cranks, rear cassette and chain). It was 19 lbs 5 oz. Used to be over 21 almost 22 lbs. Total cost for new bike and refit of old bike, $2600 (including tax and shipping for mail order parts). I think I did pretty well.

yeah... i realized post-post that i was a few years too late for this thread, but if there's already a revote, why not breathe some life into it? so, on to business:

specialized allez elite - just under 20
FSA RD 800 wheelset
FSA Pro Team Carbon Cranks
look keo carbon pedals
fetish cycles single piece machined aluminum cassette
fetish cycles carbon stem
look carbon cage
all else stock

gary fisher mt. tam 29 - 26.2 lbs
xt/xtr
salsa delgados on chris king rear and hope ultralight front hubs
marzocchi bomber front suspension
bontrager *** lite stem
fsa k-force flat bar
chris king headset
fetish cycles carbon seat post
wtb rocket v slt

in the mail:
fsa k-force mega-exo cranks
crank bros. egg beaters with ti spindles

In that case my Fondriest,that I now ride since last I posted a comment on this thread, comes in at 17 lbs w/pedals. Climbs like a cat and decends like my bank account, "quick and consistantly".

Second best ride in the world!

my roadie is 16 to 17 lbs. (using a bathroom weight scale, which isn't too percise)

Fort SLC-I 2005 frame
Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork

wheels:
dtswiss r1.1
speedcific hubs
wheelsmith Ae15, and Xe14 spokes

Chrous shifters, Dura Ace derailleur, sram chain/cassette
jtek shiftmate ;)
bontrager race lite OS Variable Radius bar (the most comfortable in the world!)
thomson seatpost and stem, alias saddle, and crappy Gossamer crankset that adds like another 1-2 pounds (from my old bike)
dura Ace pedals
michelin carbons

felt like sharing my whole bike, well almost all of it.

my dh bike probably weighs around 45-55 pounds. Have to weigh it.

Randal Lovelace said:
I just weighed both of the bikes if have....

Huffy Blue Ridge 18sp MTB - 34 pounds.....

Lotus Elan 12sp Road bike - 25 pounds....

How much does the bike you ride weigh?

The people who voted 10-15 pounds must be riding kids tricycles :rolleyes:

I have steel bikes, and two of them are from the 80's (not including the MTB), and one from the early 2000's but it's a touring frame thus naturally heavier then a road. The Trek weighs 23.5 pounds now but in it's racing days it weighed 19.5; the Miyata weighs 24.5 pounds with stock factory components. Both of these bikes when I weighed them had heavier Specialized Armadillo All Condition Pro tires on which I took off the Trek and replaced with Kenda Konstrictors, the Kenda's weigh 1 1/4th pound less a pair.

My Meiji is 38 lbs in weight. I know a bit heavier, But It has 27 adjustable speeds, so I don't find slow speed problem because of its weight :)

Moto Fantom- 20lbs when I got it (including pedals). 30lbs now with bag (tube, tools, etc), kevlar tires and the green-slime tubes.

Giant Mountain bike - 40lbs.

I too used a bathroom scale - a digital one.

My bike by itself is probably around 20 lbs, but with new tubes, stem, and everything I carry when I'm going more than a few miles, around 25.

15.5#...custom build-up on Motobacane Immortal frame. Sram Force brakes, derailleur, cassette, & brifters. FSA SL-K light crankset, FSA Carbon K-Wing Bars, Control Tech scandium stem & Control Tech carbon seatpost, Veulta Pro wheel set. Entire set-up purchased on Ebay, all new components and total cost including all shipping charges $985.00. LBS priced it out at his retail cost at $3850.00. Deals can be had if one is patient, total build took 6 months of bidding in order to get the best components at the lowest price.